Newbie question about strength training

Options
Hi there. I'm hoping some of you can give me some suggestions. Over the past year I've lost 50 pounds through mainly watching my portion sizes (no food is off limits) and by working a 2 mile jog or longer walk in most days of the week. I still have about 20 pounds to go (which brings me to mfp). I'd like to begin incorporating strength training in to my exercise routine but I have absolutely no idea where to begin. I mean none whatsoever. Is it better to begin with body weight exercises? Weights? Is there a good beginner program anyone would recommend? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• miss_beke
    miss_beke Posts: 42
    Options
    Hey there you should check out fitnessblender on youtube, they have good beginner workouts to get you into it. I always work out at home, so these are the items I have: 6kg kettle bell (can use chichihealthfitness channel on youtube) , 3kg medicine ball, stretching tube (there are different levels so start at one, also can be used for any type of workout and you'll find good workouts for these on youtube as well). Strength training for Women by Joan Pagano helped me out a lot :) - can buy here and free world wide shipping! ---> http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9780756605957

Hope this helps you out~
  • heysarge13
    heysarge13 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com
    They have a whole site dedicated to workouts and nutrition. Under the workouts link, here is a section that covers workouts for women.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I would recommend buying and reading Starting Strength or New Rules Of Lifting to educate yourself a bit. You can follow their programs or switch to another, like Stronglifts 5x5, once you have read a bit. :)
  • Imcreatingmyself
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I would recommend buying and reading Starting Strength or New Rules Of Lifting to educate yourself a bit. You can follow their programs or switch to another, like Stronglifts 5x5, once you have read a bit. :)
    This^^ stronglifts is very user friendly. They also have a huge pdf to read up on it for free. I'd give it a try.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting!

ETA: Or maybe New Rules of Lifting - Supercharged.