300g of protein???

Options
MNCPRGuy
MNCPRGuy Posts: 51 Member
I am a 300 lb man and exercise regularly. I have moved from mostly cardio to mostly strength training and am starting to supplement with creatine, whey, etc. I keep reading that I should consume 1g of protein per pound of body weight per day. Even with 4+ shakes a day I am not getting there! How do I increase my protein intake, or are my goals unrealistic?

Thanks in advance for your response and please feel free to add me as a friend if you are a daily logger.

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You should be taking in 0.8g of protein per lb. of LBM (lean body mass).

You don't take in extra protein for excess fat (no disrespect).

Best way to find your LBM is to go to the doctor.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I'm going to mostly agree with martyqueen52 and really it's more of a personal opinion coming from over 300lbs myself. You can by all means go to a Dr to find your LBM or you can save the money and just use a online calculator by putting in your height, weight, waist, and neck measurements to get an approximation...which is really all you need for now. I am also of the personal opinion that a little higher protein intake for overweight individuals trying to lose weight is a little better because of two things...

1. You will be on a caloric deficit and more protein offers satiety as well as muscle sparing effect due to the caloric restriction (along with the proper weight training stimulus).
    2. The slightly elevated protein forces the amount of carbs to have to be reduced to meet the overall caloric daily goal. Typically, an overweight person will have messed their insulin sensitivity up (typically why obese people tend to be diabetic in some form or another) and lowering the carb intake during weight loss can have a reverse affect. I'm not necessarily talking a keto style diet, just lower carb intake that naturally works out from having a little higher protein and recommended fat intake for the balance of calories to come from.

So all that being said, and again, ,my opinion only... I would use an online calculator to approximate you LBM and from there multiple that by 1-1.2g of protein. Probably will put you somewhere around the 200g per day range if I had to guestimate.
  • ericzanetti
    ericzanetti Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    1% Cottage Cheese
    Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
    Whey Protein

Currently doing P90X, my macros at 2400kcal are:
    50% P - 300g
    30% C - 180g
    20% F - 53g

Check out my diary, I usually hit the 300g protein mark every day.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'll add you! :wink: And what he said. It's lean body mass, but you can also get a rough estimate through measuring. You would have to die to get a true number, but I think the military method is supposed to be a good one.

There are some links to protein research in here. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

ETA this http://www.workout-routines-that-work.com/Military-Body-Fat-Calculator.html because brain fart.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It's 0.8g-1g per pound of lean body mass, not total weight.

If you are around 6 foot, your LBM will probably be somewhere between 160-180ish.