Large Healthy Breakfast

Options
2»

Replies

• christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I like cream of wheat with peanut butter myself, it doesn't spike my blood sugar, and keeps me full. Since you need gluten free you could try cream of rice, it's a little higher carb than you want, at 36g. Or an omelette with bell peppers, mushrooms and cheese and your choice of meats is good too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with left overs?

Also- any time I eat breakfast- I'm famished by lunch time- I have found I function much better actually skipping breakfast. I don't' like eating first thing- and then when I do eat- I'm starving within 2 hours- so I just don't start eating till like noon or even one- depending on how busy we are at work.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'd look for a gluten-free oatmeal (steel cut maybe)?

Yea but it's such a huge pain in the *kitten* to cook.

Its not so bad. Slow cooker or rice cooker and cook over night! Cooks while you sleep. Done in 6 -8 hours.

I found pre-packaged steel cut oatmeal, in the microwave for 2 minutes and it's done
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    For some reason, I only eat breakfast foods for breakfast when I go out to eat. Breakfast is better for dinner. So, I currently eat a small breakfast and a small snack before lunch, but when I was doing 3 meals, I'd have a huge salad for breakfast with lettuce, grilled chicken, avocado/guacamole, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, and homemade dressing (balsamic vinegar and olive oil). So yummy. Not fast to eat though.
  • jld0411
    jld0411 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Your post got me thinking... When I was doing the traditional 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) I found that I got too hungry. I started doing 6 mini meals and I feel TONS better. Like you, I would feel nauseous and end up binging because I got too hungry. I like what one poster said about being a baby and having to eat every couple of hours or getting fussy. That's me, too! :)

I don't track carbs (other than to make sure my ratios stay in line - I try to stick to 50/30/20), so I don't know if these things would work for you or not, but these are some of my breakfasts.

Protein pancake: 1/4 cup ground oats, 1/3 cup egg whites, sprinkle of nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves, pinch of baking powder, whisk together and cook like a big pancake. Top with fresh fruit (unless it's too much sugar, then you could omit the nutmeg and stuff, fill it with veggies and make a crepe)

Protein shake - 1 scoop protein powder (I use Iso-100, I believe it's low carb), 1 cup frozen fruit, blend with ice and a little water.

Crustless quiche - whisk together eggs, 1/4 cup coconut milk, sauteed veggies, chopped up chicken and seasonings. Pour in a pie plate and bake 350 for 30 minutes. Makes about 6 slices. If you have enough room for more carbs, you can make a crust out of shredded potatoes orf sweet potatoes and a little butter. You could also make mini quiches using muffin tins. Then you can just grab a couple and go.

I've found from doing extensive research on nutrition, plus a little trial and error, the trick to not starving and binging is eating mini meals often, and having a good balance of carbs, protein and healthy fats.

My BF is gluten free, so by default that pretty much makes me gluten free as well. My friend asked me to start a blog of my recipes because people LOVE my cooking. Feel free to check it out! http://gianttasteskinnywaist.blogspot.com/. I don't take credit for all of them; rather, I tweak existing recipes to fit our dietary needs and tastes.

Also, you might try checking out some paleo websites. While I don't endorse a strict paleo diet, I started looking at paleo recipes because they are, by definition, gluten and dairy free (I can't eat dairy). Some of my favorites are Stupid Easy Paleo and PaleOMG. There's also some really good stuff on Busy But Healthy and she primarily cooks gluten free, too.

One final thought - I usually prepare a few days' worth of breakfasts at once so they're in the fridge and ready to grab and go in the morning. I have the benefit of working from an office with access to a blender, microwave, refrigerator, etc., but if you don't have access to this I'm sure there are plenty of good options.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I typically eat eggs or tofu scrambled like eggs (i don't like re-heated eggs, the tofu I can make ahead and re-heat at work). I usually add potatos or a wrap, but you could skip that to keep it low carb.

Also, don't limit yourself to breakfast foods! No reason you can't have a meal similar to what you might have for lunch or dinner for breakfast :)

And can you add some snacks between breakfast and lunch? And between lunch and dinner? I eat my lunch around noon and dinner around 6:30 - there's no way I'm going 6+ hours with nothing in between! Nuts, cheese, hard-boiled eggs, veggies & hummus, fruit & peanut butter, protein bar.... all low carb options that will help tide you over.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I eat every 2 hours too! Usually two smaller meals but I need more calories in the morning to last me until my Lunch/Dinner. I work 12 hour days so it's hard to eat consistently in the afternoons.

Thanks for all the great ideas.
  • jld0411
    jld0411 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Try a chia pudding! Mix 1/2 cup coffee, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 T. peanut butter, a scoop of protein powder, 1 T. cocoa powder and a little sweetener (I use honey, but you could use Stevia to keep it low sugar) in a blender. Pour into a mason jar, add 2 T. chia seeds, and shake the poo out of it. Refrigerate overnight, but take it out and shake it every half hour or so for the first few hours. I cut the recipe in half and make two because it's too many calories for my taste, but if you're looking to amp up your calories this would be a geat way to do it! If you don't like coffee use all coconut milk.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    Oatmeal is good for breakfast! I have the same problem, if I don't eat a decent breakfast I feel like my stomach is eating itself by the time it's lunch.

I like oatmeal and eggs with a little bit of cheese...or oatmeal and peanut butter...suuuper tasty! :)
  • jeannettemancini
    jeannettemancini Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Mix wet:
    6 egg white
    3 mashed bananas
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 TBSP honey - Again, depending on your sweetness desire, you could skip this

Separately mix dry:
    3 scoops protein (I used chocolate, which was a bit strong)
    3 TBSP PB 2 (this is a dried Peanut butter with the fat taken out.)
    1/4-1/2 craisins - low sugar
    1/2 cup almonds
    2 cups oatmeal (you have to pulverize it first... I used a mini food processor) You could use gluten free)

Mix the wet and dry together, and pour into a 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cool, and cut (I did 10 bars, but you can do what you want).

You can add and take out things... like if you want less sugar, take out the honey and craisins.
    I couldn't taste the PB in it, so if I do it again I would remove the PB, or add more. I think I'll try it next time with vanilla protein powder and add more PB to get a banana and PB taste.

There are 1000s of recipes on line... so you can modify for your macro nutrition desires
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    why all the egg white recipes?

not needed. no reason to not eat the whole thing.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I like those minute muffins in the microwave made with flaxmeal. I add sweetener and a tbsp of apple or pumpkin butter to them, with vanilla extract and top it with sweetened cream cheese. 4g net carb total and just under 500 cals. That with some string cheese and a hardboiled egg (you can keep a readymade stash in the fridge), and you're set with a bigger breakfast that takes a minute to make and a minute to cook.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    My favorite right now is :
    chopped salad and knudsen cottage cheese
    hot green tea
    slice of toast
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    I'd look for a gluten-free oatmeal (steel cut maybe)?

Yea but it's such a huge pain in the *kitten* to cook.

If you soak in water and place in the fridge overnight, you can just microwave it in the morning. Makes it much easier!
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I give myself plenty of snacks all day long, so personally I usually have breakfast between 100-200 calories (the lighter the better though) and a low calorie snack or two before lunch. This works for me.

What I eat on the weekends is a little different though and would be good for someone wanting something more satisfying to start the day. I do light toast topped with a mixture of fat free cottage cheese and sugar free preserves. 1/4 cottage cheese and 2 TBS of preserves on 2 slices of toast is filling and tasty.
  • bec_232
    bec_232 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Quest bars! High in protein and fiber plus are gluten free and very filling. I love them. Cookie and cream is my favorite.

Other ideas for on the go - hard boiled eggs, cheese stick, nuts, apple with almond butter, or trail mix. Greek yogurt with some hemp hearts or flax seed sprinkled on top is yummy too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    why all the egg white recipes?

not needed. no reason to not eat the whole thing.

Especially if someone is looking for a larger or more filling breakfast.

I usually eat leftovers from dinner or a vegetable frittata (easier omelet). Sometimes I have smoked salmon or yogurt on the side or some fruit. I like to have 350-400 calories for breakfast and plenty of protein--if I do I'm not hungry until lunchtime.
  • kimmie19571957
    kimmie19571957 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    On heavy work out mornings, I will have oatmeal with blueberries, walnuts, cinnamon and a dash of almond milk. If I just do yoga for exercise, I will come home and make egg whites with salsa.