Embarassing Runner Question...

Options
RinnyLush
RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
My morning run was ruined this morning, AGAIN, due to desperately needing to go to the bathroom. :sad:

I LOVE running in the morning - it wakes me up, perks me up, and is my favourite way to start the day. I find it physically, mentally, and spiritually rewarding. But lately I can't even make it halfway through my morning run without being overcome with the need to, uh... "evacuate". :blushing: This presents a major problem as my run to work is mostly through a residential area with no where to stop. The best I can do when this issue arises is walk painfully until I reach downtown and can slip into the nearest convenience or grocery store...

How do you other runners deal with this? Do you eat something specific in the morning? Do you skip breakfast altogether and eat after your run? Have you changed your running schedule? TELL ME YOUR SECRETS.

Thanks in advance!:drinker:

Replies

• Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Same problem here, even just for working out, get to the gym and yup have to go.....it's annoying.
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I always run fasted in the morning. But that is just a personal preference as if I run after I eat I get cramps.

You could try and see if it works, but if its happening everyday than maybe it's due to your eating schedule during the day. You said its been recently, so has anything with your diet changed?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I will run closer to home if I have a consistent habit- or have a cup of coffee and wake up a little earlier to get the coffee moving and try to hit that up before... if not- run around the block- for me it happens soon into the run- rather than miles and miles.

It happens- it's normal.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    When you get up in the morning, do you eat a large breakfast and drink water? If I know I have a run coming in the morning, I get my bathroom business done, take a couple small sips, and go out with maybe a granola bar. I have found that drinking a ton of water right before a run is not sustainable, because I will be guaranteed to need to pee fifteen minutes later. If I am thirsty, I take a water with me and take small sips as I am going.
  • Happy_Niss
    Happy_Niss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I totally understand!
    I have IBS and it usually bugs me in the morning-time, so I run at night to avoid that. Often when I do end up running in the morning, I just eat something VERY light before I go to not push my bowels.
    But everyone is different.
    Postponing your run a little bit and doing a warm-up at home might move your bowels to get it out before you go run.
  • WonderWoman_5
    WonderWoman_5 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Happens every time i get on the ellipitical ughhh
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    When I get up I have a big glass of water first thing, and I think I wouldn't run until I "moved" first.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I generally eat after I run. If I'm already hungry or don't think I'll have the energy for the run I have planned, I eat something small, like a banana or even half of one. This morning I didn't have a banana, so I stole one of my fiance's breakfast pastries. I also tend to sip at water before/during the run to prevent sloshing or "movement" and only really start in on the bottle once I'm cooling down. Generally, by the time I'm cooled and stretched, I also have to rush to the bathroom - but at least I'm at home!

I don't know if either of these will help, but good luck and happy running! :drinker:
  • crosstraindylan
    crosstraindylan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Do a light warm up jog first, that should jog your bladder (no pun intended lol)
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i've done a couple of things... one is to not eat anything prior to the run (how long do you run, by the way? i'm usually good for 3 miles or so before i start hobbling...), and the other is to remap my route so that i'm a lot closer to "facilities" at that critical timeframe.

final one, that i use on race days (when i can't independently adjust the timing) is to slam a couple of cups of coffee an hour before i head out for my run... tends to "get things moving" before i get out the door.

best of luck!
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I tend to get that after I stop running. To prevent this I don't eat anything too heavy the night before, be sure to "empty the tank" first thing in the morning and drink water. I usually have something very light, like a go-gurt.

Hang in there :)
    Joanna
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Poop before you run?
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Every runner deals with this. There is no way around it. The best thing to do is to "go" before you start running, or if you can't do that, find a route that has lots of port-a-potties. I run around a lake with lots of facilities.
  • benjaminlight
    benjaminlight Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I do the same as the general consensus - I don't eat before I run. I also wake up about a half hour before I have to run and work on a quart or so of water. Usually - just before I need to go run I can typically go. Running on a full colon sucks. Running on a full colon that wants to no longer be full sucks even more.

I also have a path that I follow that takes me by my house twice. I could quickly pop in if need be - or like this morning, shed the hat and gloves because it got warm enough not to need them.

Keep at it!

Ben
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I just started running in the morning instead of at night. I've been doing it on an empty stomach, but this morning I had the same issue for the first time. I was able to keep going without having to make a pit stop, but it was touch and go there for a second. The only difference this morning was that I woke up late and didn't get a chance to drop the kids off at the pool before I left. Every other morning, I've made sure to "go" beforehand. Is it possible for you to change your pre-run routine to take care of business before you leave?
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    What are you eating for dinner the night before, or for breakfast?
    I've had problems (it's common) on my long runs when I don't eat the right thing before my long run - because I've found that I *do* need to eat something before I run on those days, but it's some trial and error on what works and what doesn't.
    I don't eat before runs less than 6 miles or so, so during the week I'm usually running on an empty stomach and have a lot easier of a time with it.
    But if you're running without breakfast and eating the same thing for dinner the night before when this happens, or the same kind of food (e.g., beans, or something), try to mess around with what you eat for dinner.
  • mississippi_runner_girl
    Options
    I can't eat a lot before I run or I 'run' into the same problem as you. I eat a banana and drink some coffee to get things moving and that works for me!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I wait and eat after. On race days where I eat first I get up early so there is time for things to process. Or if race day is tough, immodium is my friend...
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're jumping out of bed and then heading out for the run before you have a chance to hit the head. It sounds like the run is "moving things around" which is why you have to go mid-run. If that's the case then I would postpone the run for a little bit, do your business and then go for your run.
  • MelanieMamaof5
    MelanieMamaof5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If I run in the morning I do it on an empty stomach...or eat a banana. It wont add a lot of "bulk" to your stomach and may keep things from "moving" to quickly. If you wake up a few hours BEFORE your run, try eating a bowl of oatmeal. That always sits in my intestines quite nicely.

Unlike a lot of people here I can't command myself to go....I go when I have to, so making sure to empty out before a run isn't always an option.

Good luck! And don't be embarrassed. It happens to EVERY runner.