Embarassing Runner Question...

Options

Replies

• OnTheGround
    OnTheGround Posts: 78
    Options
    Yup, like others I either do it at 5am, fasted, or I do it AFTER things have all taken care of themselves. :)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I always run fasted in the mornings on the weekends. During the week, I eat lunch at 11:30am and come home around 3:30pm and run immediately.

I find any food in my system during a running session is just barfy bad nasty news!

If you can't hack it fasted, try a smaller snack about an hour before such as a banana.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty steady schedule of pooping after a glass of water in the morning. I have the same problem you do. I have to say, I am ashamed that in my past I've had to poop in not so desirable places because in the midst of a 10 mile run I just HAD to go :X

Now, I make sure I go in the morning before I do anything else. That way I don't get that intense urge/need to go while running.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem, too. What worked for me was getting up a little earlier, eating a banana and waiting for 20-30 minutes before starting my run. Worked like a charm most of the time.

Not sure if it is true or not, but a friend told me a long time ago that when you start thinking about going a chemical is realeased in your body that gives you the urge to go. Again, not sure I believe this....
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Wow, these are all awesome tips - thank you!

To answer a few questions, I tend to eat my breakfast about a half hour before I hit the road. It is usually 1/2 of oats with berries and protein powder, or 2 pieces of light rye toast with natural peanut butter (and a glass of water). I try to use the washroom before I leave, but as we all know, our bodies tend to have other plans. Haha. My run is approximately 3 miles, and I save my coffee for once I reach the office.

Given the consensus of replies, I think I will try getting up earlier and having just a coffee, running around the block a couple of times before I head out for the day, and saving my breakfast for when I get to work. It feels so silly to rearrange my morning, but it will be totally worth it if it means getting in a more fulfilling run! Change is good, right? :bigsmile: Thanks again, everyone!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I would try staying closer to home so you can pop in if you need to go or change your route to one where you can find bathrooms. If you know of a nearby park or baseball field, they will probably have a bathroom or porta potty. This is an issue for every runner. When I was marathon training with a group, the leader told us before every run where the water and gatorade would be and where the bathrooms are on the route. As for what to eat or drink before, just try out different things and go with what works best for you.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Why I run in the afternoon ... ;-)
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Just let 'er rip!

runner-poop.jpg
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    AAAAAaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!! :noway:

That is my greatest fear.... Fortunately, I think it's pretty unlikely to happen on a 3 mile run. :tongue:
  • llabruce4
    llabruce4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    girls poop?
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This has nothing to do with what you're eating the night before or in the morning before your run. This is a really common issue that has been addressed by runner's world magazine. Basically, running gets your bowels moving. I get up a half-hour before my run and have a little coffee (most warm drinks will help) which usually gets things going before I head out so I don't need to stop during my run. If you can't do that, find a route with toilets nearby so you can make a pit stop if you get the urge. If you search runner's world's website, tons of articles will show up. Here's a fun one:

http://www.runnersworld.com/rt-columns/the-process-of-elimination
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I will run closer to home if I have a consistent habit- or have a cup of coffee and wake up a little earlier to get the coffee moving and try to hit that up before... if not- run around the block- for me it happens soon into the run- rather than miles and miles.

It happens- it's normal.

yup! we get up early enough. I take my suppliments, have a cup of coffee. It seems like my flax seed triggers my pooh! Then off we go!

edi to add- It's ok to GingerBread in a race, as long as you are in the lead! haha too gross
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    ok, you want honesty, i shat myself during an insanity warm up once. i finished the warm up, then took a shower. there i said it lol
  • lcgr13
    lcgr13 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you are feeling better now that it happens to most of us! I use a few of these strategies, including plotting a route with a toilet whenever possible, doing my longest runs on the late morning or afternoon, not eating before a morning run, etc. Also, my GI doc told me it is OK to take a couple Immodium if I have not pooped before a race and fear I might need to while on the course.
    If you are only running 3 miles, you certainly can do it without eating breakfast first. That should help.
    Good luck, and keep running!:smile:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Why I run in the afternoon ... ;-)

Or in the evening. Then the "business" is done and I can enjoy my run without issues. ;)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Do you drink coffee before you go on the run? Caffeine is known to get things moving down there.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I use tea to get things going before I work out. VERY ANNOYING but you will eventually train your body to go at the right time.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Every runner deals with this. There is no way around it. The best thing to do is to "go" before you start running, or if you can't do that, find a route that has lots of port-a-potties. I run around a lake with lots of facilities.

This. As a number of people have said, coffee helps.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fiber in the mornings, so by the next morning, I'm ready to go before I leave my house... if you know what I mean :) Train your body to evacuate ASAP in the morning so you can be free & clear when you hit the road.
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me is I will go first thing when I get up. I eat and get ready to run. Right before I run I do a bunch of jumping jacks... usually by the time I reach 50, I have to use the facilities and then MOST of the time I can make it through my run without the urge to go. On mornings I run I try to avoid coffee until after but I can not run fasted, I get wicked bad headaches and really dizzy when I tried.