have hated oatmeal all my life....

Options
gieshagirl
gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
my mother would make hot oatmeal with a little salt. it had no flavor, there was no texture and mushy. I have avoided this all my life...much to my surprise apple cinnamon pecan oatmeal is great!!! (im even slipping it in for lunch) I think I need to rethink my dislikes....what else did I write off and now like? I am trying almonds again.....never thought they had flavor at all.....now lets see. (I also think that me not craving sugar like I did is a big part of this but im not sure. what do you out there think?

Replies

• R_Woodruff
    R_Woodruff Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Taste buds change every 7 years, or so I've been told. I love a ton of food now that I hated in my childhood years. Try all the foods!:drinker:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    ^ Agreed. I used to hate all vegetables and now I can eat 'almost' all of them.
  • gieshagirl
    Options
    think I will go shopping for things that I had blown off as yuck. the oatmeal is fantastic! thanks!
  • gieshagirl
    Options
    I am going to try new today. Kinda excited by this discovery
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    oatmeal made me gain 30 pounds
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was encouraged to try all foods as a kid, so there is very little now that I don't eat. I even managed to like olives because my dad always put them in salads & I got sick of picking them out. Now I love olives.

Having said that - I was never a big oats fan, but I have just discovered Oat so Simple Apple, sultana, raisin & cranberry - like you, I am tempted to have one at lunch as well as breakfast. I make it up with unsweetened almond milk & it is so creamy:-) I still donlt think I would like oats with salt though - they need to be sweet.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of food I HATED when I was younger and now LOVE:
    Salad
    Coffee
    Cole Slaw (seriously, how was I missing out on this stuff during the time I ate complete crap?)
    Cabbage
    Squash

It's always kind of nice when you realize you actually DO like something. Totally switches things up for you!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I keep trying olives thinking they'll be good since people rant about them

Eff no, UGH!
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts. Bake them and they're amazing, cook them in the microwave with a bit of water and a TOUCH of maple syrup and they're a serious treat.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I keep trying olives thinking they'll be good since people rant about them

Eff no, UGH!

Agreed.

My 3 year old nephew LOVES them. I figure, if he likes them, I probably should to. But no. He can have my share.
  • gieshagirl
    Options
    I agree!! blea