Calories per day with working out

My start of the day calories is about 1500 per day. I'm trying to lose weight and workout 4-6 times per week. Should I then eat the calories I burn or not. I have been and I'm not losing weight.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    the key to weight loss is taking in less than you burn

If you are not losing weight you are eating more than you think and/or over estimating burns.

initial thought is to eat back 50% of your exercise calories as MFP can over estimate for people.
  • knt6742
    knt6742 Posts: 36
    If you're using the MFP method then yes eat them back but only eat back some of them. MFP definitely tends to over estimate them. Also how long have you been at this? On your profile it says you've lost 5 pounds so you are losing weight. Losing weight the healthy way can be slower than we want but worth it in the end.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    My initial thought is to ask how long you have been tracking your calories while trying to lose weight.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    the key to weight loss is taking in less than you burn

If you are not losing weight you are eating more than you think and/or over estimating burns.

initial thought is to eat back 50% of your exercise calories as MFP can over estimate for people.

This.

And if you haven't read this before, give it a good read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Well today I weighed myself and gained 2lbs. I've been doing this for about 7 weeks now. I will try to only eat back 1/2. That's a great suggestion.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Ihave the same 1500 calories as you. I eat back half my calories and consistently lose my pound and a half. (I actually only enter half my burned calories and that keeps the math simple for me) The only time I dont lose is my week that I dont work/gym very much. (My schedule often ends up being really busy for 8-10days straight followed by a quiet week) Because of this schedule, I'll often lose 2+lbs on my busy weeks and 1lb on my non busy week.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Check this out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

Chances are you're underestimating what you eat / overestimating calories burned as suggested try eating back half (especially if you're using mfp as your only guide to how much you're burning from exercise)