Swimming and weightlifting question

Options
Lately I've been weightlifting and jogging but I'm getting bored of jogging and I want to change it to swimming just to make things more interesting.

Will I still see good results if I mix swimming and weightlifting instead of jogging and weightlifting? I'm in a calorie deficit so I'm looking to slim down and lose weight.

Replies

• Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I can't see how it will make any difference to you. Swimming is great exercise and mixing things up a bit might keep things interesting and help you stay focussed.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Actually you may see more results as swimming uses more and different muscles than jogging. Its a full body workout. You can isolate only legs, only arms, different strokes - all will give you different workout.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Not sure I can really answer the question, but I have recently added swimming into my routine. I go once a week (would probably do more, but I have to go to a different gym and pay everytime) For me it is a tough workout while also being easy on the joints after doing some heavy lifting.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    you will still get about the same results. losing weight will be more about eating consistently anyway
  • Phill2488
    Options
    Another question I have is that people have said that if you're swimming you can skip weightlifting all together cause swimming works all the muscles in your body. Is this true or should I still stick to doing both?
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    I'd stick to both. I don't think swimming can really be classed as a substitute for strength training.
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great idea to switch it up like that. I alternate running and weight lifting during spring and fall months, but it's too hot here to run during the summer, so I swim on my cardio days. As long as you're pushing yourself and not just doing a leisurely stroke, swimming is a great low-impact workout. Enjoy! I love swimming for exercise.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Sounds wonderful! Enjoy!
  • jcallejabjj
    jcallejabjj Posts: 33
    Options
    Dryland Swim Training
  • Phill2488
    Options
    I'd stick to both. I don't think swimming can really be classed as a substitute for strength training.

Thanks. I've heard so many people say that swimming is both a cardio and strength training exercise
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    I consider swimming to be cardio. You do work your muscles but you won't really build them and gain strength in the same way you will by lifting.

But I'm no expert and that's just my opinion. And based on my own experience.
  • aduhart
    aduhart Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Swimming should definitely be considered cardio and shouldn't replace your weightlifting (people probably consider it strength exercise because theyre doing it wrong by moving mostly through shoulders and arms, google total immersion swimming for a great guide on how to properly swim). If you do both weights and cardio on same day I would suggest you do weights before swimming (ideally you would do each on a separate session, but for many people that is not practical).
    Good luck with your training
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Another question I have is that people have said that if you're swimming you can skip weightlifting all together cause swimming works all the muscles in your body. Is this true or should I still stick to doing both?

there is a small resistance component, but it wont be enough to produce similair effects to weight training.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options

there is a small resistance component, but it wont be enough to produce similair effects to weight training.

This.

The advantage to lifting is being able to progressively overload your workouts. You can't do that with what amounts to bodyweight resistance training. Swimming is tough cardio, but cardio nevertheless.
  • celestelind
    Options
    I have bad news for you. I AM a swimmer - have been most of my life. Swimming does NOT help you lose weight. Especially if you are a swimmer. It WILL help tone your body, however. Swimming mostly uses your arms, and arms are not big muscles, so you may tone them, but weight doesn't necessarily come off. Running is what takes weight off. I love swimming, but don't fool yourself, it is not something that will help you lose weight. You might lose a little bit at first, especially if you are not a swimmer, and this is difficult for you, but trust me, in the long run, you will maintain your weight by swimming. You will tone your body by swimming. Weight loss, not so much.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Don't get greedy
  • DrFlave
    DrFlave Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Swimming and weightlifting? It's going to be very difficult to swim while carrying those heavy weights. I think they would cause you to sink right to the bottom of the pool.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    bump