Do carbs stress anyone else out!!!???

Options
I am stressing over Carbs!

When i complete my food diary I have loads of calories left, some fat left and I either stop eating because the carbs are so low or I will not eat something because when i put it in my diary i go over!

I don't understand carbs? are they really bad for you? Because I am a vegetarian so I like to eat baked potatos and veg but it seems its full of high carbs and it's making me nervous!!

Should i be careful of them or carry on being cautious of going over.

And does anyone have advice on low carb foods that a vegetarian can eat? I like quorn but its borning on its own!

Any advice would be great!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Total calories is what matters more than anything. Essentially a Balance diet consists of 20%-30% fats, 15-30% Protein and 45-60% carbs. Anywhere within those ranges is considered "balanced" and you can do trial and error to see what works best for your body.
  • pinky1988
    Options
    It depends on the SOURCE of the Carbs.

If I ate mostly fruits and veggies, then NO because those are kind of empty and can be easily burned.

However, if i ate alot of pasta, or bread that day then YES. Starchy food packs on the pounds.

But the key is to remember too much of ANYTHING is not good for you. I watch my fruits because certain ones hold alot of hidden sugar, sugar turns into fat.

I dont stress about the carbs as much as i do the Sodium.. that is the hardest to steer away from even when eating healthy.
  • CLH00
    CLH00 Posts: 15
    Options
    I've only been doing this a few days and have exactly the same problem! Help us!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I agree with Pinky on the SOURCE of the carbs is important. Simple carbs screw your blood sugar up. Your body will burn that first and your fat store burn will stall out.

Cals in cals out is important, but only to an extent. You have to fuel your body properly to get the best results. Processed stuff is always the poorer choice.

Keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
  • DS13
    DS13 Posts: 136
    Options
    I think it depends on your body. I'm on a diet that cycles 6 low carb days and a day where I eat anything. I eat as many vegetables as I want though because I need the fiber and the diet actually says not to count the carbs from vegetables, but rather to watch out for breads, rice, and pasta.
  • pinky1988
    Options
    I also wanted to add that going over your calories isnt always necessarily BAD.

Some days you will be hungrier than others. I would suggest keeping your goals the same for a week and observe how your body responds to your eating habits, if you find that you feel bloated alot or maybe you're still hungry all the time, then Ante up!!!

You can adjust things according to your body. I LOVE carbs, but i found ways to cheat in a healthy way so that I can still enjoy them and not feel deprived OR overly stuffed.
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Here is a snippet from the Harvard School of Public Health website:

"Choose good carbs, not no carbs.
    The best sources of carbohydrates—whole grains, vegetables, fruits and beans—promote good health by delivering vitamins, minerals, fiber, and a host of important phytonutrients. Easily digested refined carbohydrates from white bread, white rice and other refined grains, pastries, sugared sodas, and other highly processed foods may contribute to weight gain, interfere with weight loss, and promote diabetes and heart disease."

My suggestion would be to educate yourself on the glycemic index of the carbs you are eating. It's important to eat foods that will not spike your blood sugar.
  • lolw811
    lolw811 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for the advice everyone. Can't believe how many carbs are in a BANANA will not be eating them anymore!!

I think i will still stop stressing now because the carbs I am eating are from Potatoes so may be good in a way.

Also I think because I did Slimming world (Green days) for a while i am totally confused because the food they say is free food is all carbs!

Thanks again