Metamucil Question

Options
Maybe a stupid question but...I just started taking the generic Metamucil fiber powder called Equate Fiber Therapy and on the warning label it says "This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm." Can anyone tell me what chemical they are talking about? The Metamucil brand doesn't have that on the warning label so I am wondering if that one doesn't have the particular chemical?

Ingredients on the Equate label are: sucrose, psylluim husk, citri acid, naturl and artificial orange flavor, fd& c yellow #6
Not sure about the Metamucil ingredients but they are probably almost the same.

Replies

• caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If its sugar free, it could be the aspartame... The chemical used in diet sodas and sugar free products...
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Can't you get your hands on natural psyllium husk that doesn't have any additives?
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Can't you get your hands on natural psyllium husk that doesn't have any additives?

This. You can get this at a health food store or just take in capsule form.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If its sugar free, it could be the aspartame... The chemical used in diet sodas and sugar free products...

Nope - not this

Sucrose = sugar
  • caesar164
    Options
    Yup! You can get it eBay, amazon, etc... Way cheaper then any store!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Don't be silly aspartame has not been shown to do any of this
  • caesar164
    Options

Nope - not this

Sucrose = sugar

The Op didn't specify.. Are you saying that sucrose is the ingredient that could cause those side effects? Can you show a source please?
  • caesar164
    Options
    Don't be silly aspartame has not been shown to do any of this

No, just cancer, no biggie right?
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Wow. The fail is strong in this one.
  • caesar164
    Options
    This thread is from march! At least I brought it the attention of some members, and tried to answer, what's your contribution?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If you're not in California, I wouldn't worry about it!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    it's the yellow 6 food colouring

it's banned in many european countries and i think there was a move for an outright europe wide ban
  • caesar164
    Options
    it's the yellow 6 food colouring

it's banned in many european countries and i think there was a move for an outright europe wide ban

Oh OK thanks! Is that also used in tang?
  • asciiqwerty
    Options
    don't know about tang

look at the ingredients

the current EFSA ADI for yellow 6 (E110) is 1 mg/kg bw/day
    http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/pub/1330.htm
  • caesar164
    Options
    Yes it does! Just looked it up it has both #5 and #6
  • asciiqwerty
    Options
    #5 is also on the naughty list
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Nope - not this

Sucrose = sugar

The Op didn't specify.. Are you saying that sucrose is the ingredient that could cause those side effects? Can you show a source please?

Here's the scenario: OP asked what ingredient in Equate Metamucil could cause birth defects......your answer was if it's sugar free....then it's aspartame....

OP then listed ingredients in the Equate Metamucil......sucrose was one ingredient......my response was sucrose = sugar......therefore it's not sugar free (Aspartame was not on the ingredient list either).

So .................No I do NOT think sugar (sucrose) causes birth defects. I did NOT imply sucrose (sugar) causes birth defects.