always going over on protien

Options
I am always going over on the protien that is allocated for my plan, is it that big of a problem. I though high protien is good.

Replies

• emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    i go over too....... i've read on here it isn't too big of an issue.

i'm doing some research right now on the topic.

good question :smile:
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Going over on your protein is only bad if you have renal failure. Make sure you drink plenty of water and you'll be fine.
  • zatknees
    zatknees Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I think they are just calculating how much protein you should have based on your calories - which from what I read is a rough estimate. I found this info that I thought was helpful. You can adjust your settings so that your protein is more aligned to your weight using the calculation they list below:

How much protein do we need?
    Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person should eat 92 grams

But shouldn’t protein intake be a percentage of total calories?
    Quite a few programs and nutritionists quote percentage of calories, usually in the range of 10 percent to 20 percent, as a way to figure out how much protein a person needs to consume daily. This is a rough estimate of a person's minimum protein needs. It works because typically, larger and more active people need more calories, so the more calories they need, the more protein they will get.
    Where this falls down is when people are eating diets that are lower in calories for any reason, conscious or not. People who are ill or losing weight, for example, do not need less protein just because they are eating fewer calories.

I just tried to modify mine under goals and they use a % - so I can't put in a specific number - for my weight my protein calculation is right between the 15% and 20% of calories they use. So unless you are going over a LOT - you are probably fine :) Thanks for mentioning, I thought I was the only one and this made me actually research it.
  • pinkprincessness
    pinkprincessness Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am ALWAYS over. I think this site suggests too low on it. It says only 54 grams for me. One cup of chicken has 40 grams!! I read up in a lot of fitness magazines and websites and they ALL suggest you eat 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. I weigh 130 and usually get 100-120 grams of protein per day.