New To Working Out in General- Question about Weights

Options
Where to begin? Well, I am NOWHERE near my ideal weight. I have a very elongated and flabby stomach, flabby under arms, and my legs are not so bad but could use some slimming. My goal is to lose 100 lbs. I have been working out 5 days a week, mostly cardio, which I feel is the right thing to do. I also have a girl friend who does this with my every day. We do Zumba, crunches, stretches before and after, and leg lifts. She and I argue about one thing--- WEIGHTS. She insists on lifting small weights DAILY. I, however, am afraid that all of my under arm flab will transfer to muscle mass that I do not want. Later in life, of course I would love a little muscle, but I do not want to be built like a man. I may be wrong about this assumption, which is why I am posting this. Can someone tell me.... Should I or should I not be lifting weights regularly, and so early into this work out routine I have begun? Keep in mind, I am very overweight. So is my friend, who thinks the weights are a good thing!

Replies

• CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    1st: You will not build significant muscle mass unless you make it your goal to build muscle mass and follow a strict exercise program and diet designed to build mass. Eating a calorie deficit necessary to lose weight will never allow your body to build muscle mass. Women who lift look like women. The female body builders with men's physiques have gone to drastic lengths to get there, it can't happen by accident.

2nd: You can't spot-reduce. Doing crunches will not burn the fat on your belly. Your body is going to pull energy from the fat it wants to first. Every body is different, and each body has a place(s) that it prefers to burn fat from first. If you want a flat belly, you just have to burn fat until your body decides to burn belly fat. Some people are lucky, and belly fat burns off first. Other people get chicken arms and legs before their body goes after the belly.

Final: Any workout you can do and stick with is better than no workout. I don't think highly of Zumba, but it's miles better than sitting on the couch. Do what you can stick with until you develop the habit of exercising regularly. Hopefully, you will work up to more effective exercises. Don't want to lift? You don't have to, but the only reason not to is personal preference. The thing you need in whatever exercise you do is intensity. Whatever you do, do it with as much intensity as you can.
  • manders1230
    manders1230 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for the very obviously thought-out reply, I really appreciate it. I do try to get more intense by the week, and Ive definitly been getting my heart rate up and sweating a lot during the zumba. The crunches just feel good and I know that wouldnt burn belly fat, but i think its still good to do.

I have read a lot of varying opinions on Zumba, may I ask why you dont think highly of it?
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Start lifting ASAP. The heavier the better. Preserve the muscle mass you have now, so you don't end up skinny-fat later on with no muscle mass. Please see this thread about why women don't look like they are "built like men" after lifting heavy weights: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1096001-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky?page=16

You will not build any significant amount muscle mass while eating at a deficit and lifting weights, you'll simply preserve what you've already got (this is good! You want to keep your muscle mass!).

Look into a beginner's full body strength program for some more reading. Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength.

^Also, I agree with what Citizen said.
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that weightlifting burns calories up to 36 hours after training. You can burn fat by weightlifting. Doing some small weights at the end of the session is not going to make you bulk up. I bench press the equivalent of my own bodyweight.....and I am not bulky!
  • manders1230
    Options
    thanks, this is very helpful to know!
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I, however, am afraid that all of my under arm flab will transfer to muscle mass that I do not want.

That's not how it works....

I would also not recommend lifting light weights for tons of reps every day...that's almost pointless and there are much better ways to train for muscular endurance (which is what that would be doing). I would personally recommend looking into something like New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves as general fitness lifting programs that are pretty darned good. If you want to get really strong I would recommend Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5.

Either way, I recommend doing an actual routine that has been properly programmed to allow for optimal results. In either case, you aren't going to "bulk" on a bunch of muscle...if it was that easy, pretty much every guy on the planet would be jacked. It's hard for guys to bulk on muscle...it is about 10x harder for women. To boot, it requires a calorie surplus...you aren't bulking on heaps of muscle in an energy deficit.

I also recommend this as a pretty good motivational read....

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I, however, am afraid that all of my under arm flab will transfer to muscle mass that I do not want.

That's not how it works....

I would also not recommend lifting light weights for tons of reps every day...that's almost pointless and there are much better ways to train for muscular endurance (which is what that would be doing). I would personally recommend looking into something like New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves as general fitness lifting programs that are pretty darned good. If you want to get really strong I would recommend Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5.

Either way, I recommend doing an actual routine that has been properly programmed to allow for optimal results. In either case, you aren't going to "bulk" on a bunch of muscle...if it was that easy, pretty much every guy on the planet would be jacked. It's hard for guys to bulk on muscle...it is about 10x harder for women. To boot, it requires a calorie surplus...you aren't bulking on heaps of muscle in an energy deficit.

I also recommend this as a pretty good motivational read....

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

QFT. I should have posted Staci's link too!
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing All-pro weightlifting programme....its amazing so far.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I, however, am afraid that all of my under arm flab will transfer to muscle mass
    It would be awesome power to turn fat into muscle. Unfortunately it's not possible. Don't fear the weights.
  • manders1230
    Options
    LOL- so i was VERY mistaken about this then. Idk where I got the idea that lifting would be bad for me. As it stand, I really need to concentrate on getting all this extra weight off.

Im also going to take WillRun4Bagels advice, because I dont want that skinny-fat leftover, or all the extra skin that I am sure I will have.
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Some exercises, like Zumba, have an effectiveness that directly correlates to how much effort you put in. Two identical people can do the same Zumba workout and have drastically different results because one was going 100% and the other was just going through the motions. It's not that it is a terrible workout, but it's easy to cheat yourself while doing it. I prefer exercises that are harder to cheat yourself on. Burpees are a great example. The gap between those two people in my example would be significantly closer if they were doing burpees instead of Zumba.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    There is almost no chance that you will look manly by lifting weights, Your friend is correct that weights are a good thing, they are actually a great thing. However you do not want to continue with small weights, you want to progressively increase the weights you are lifting. Most start out lifting smaller weights or just body weight and increase from there.

A good rule is if you can do an exercise more then 15 reps, then the weight is too light. Go heavier. You want to struggle and keep proper form for no more then those 15 reps
    Those that lift heavy use the maximum of 8 reps as a bench marker.

You can find programs to follow from bodybuilding.com plus others I mention later.

Calorie deficit for weight loss, cardio and weight lifting are for fitness. Also patience is key and you may not see huge results for many weeks.

There are several reasons to lift weights or do strength training.
    1. Keep the muscle and strength you do have while in a calorie deficit, otherwise you may lose what you do have.

2. Increase your strength. There will be no muscle gain while in a calorie deficit, you may see temporary mass increase due to water and glucose for muscle repair.

3. Doing weights helps with bone density and can offset osteoporosis, having stronger muscles can help with maintaining joint health and keep you healthy and keep pain away.

4. Muscle is more dense then fat, so same weight but looks like less. The more muscle you have increases your daily calorie burn.

5. A lot of the compound lifts and other strength training exercises work your core. No need to do a million useless situps.

6. There are many other reasons, those are the only ones I can think of. Try New Rules of Lifting for Women, starting strength, convict conditioning, strong lifts etc. I have also attached some links of ladies who lift heavy, you can see that none of them are bulky or manly.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1096001-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/987513-lifting-is-the-most-horrible-thing-to-a-woman-since-twiggy?hl=twiggy

Edited to add: I see I am late in the game to add some of my advice. You have received a lot of great advice so far
  • manders1230
    Options
    I have never heard of Burpees before.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of Burpees before.

Google search and watch some videos.

They are tough. If you want to do them, you can start with a basic lay down, stand up.