Junkfood Addict Needs Your Support

Every morning starts with Coca Cola. Then continues with junk all day long - chocolate bars, more coke, meat, carbs, then dessert. Where do I even begin to break this cycle? I'm so overwhelmed. Help?

Replies

• Eattig
    Eattig Posts: 12 Member
    Sugar is addictive. I used to drink soda and eat processed food like they were going out of style. It took me 3 months to give it up soda completely. I have found that changing one small thing (like the amount of soda you drink ) at a time and eventually you can wean yourself off of it. It Is an overwhelming process at first but it will eventually become habit! If you have a bad day then start over the next day and try again. Feel free to add me if you need support! I know I could definitely use some in this process!
  • marlerk
    marlerk Posts: 4 Member
    The very first time I quit all soda cold turkey- lost 15 pounds doing only that.
    Now I have a diet soda at lunch and maaaybe one with dinner. Pick ONE very small thing and just do it!
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    I would replace soda with diet pop at least. Take your time and change unhealthy habits. If you crave snacks, try trail mix, or dried fruits, but still in moderation. I know it can be hard to say no to junk food sometimes so it's fine to cheat every once in a while. If you crave something, have it, but in moderation. Set a daily calorie cap and don't go over that. If you do, burn it off by working out so you're still at your calorie goal, and also next time when you crave junk food, you'll remember that you might have to workout for hours just because you didn't give up that bottle of pop
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    I used to spend almost 300 dollars a month on fast food so I feel your pain. These kinds of foods do cause an actual addiction that can be VERY hard to break. What helped me is to eat similar healthy things as a substitute. For example, let's say I wanted Taco Bell. I would get an Amy's frozen enchilada dinner which is healthy and organic. Want chocolate? Have a tiny bit of dark chocolate. Dessert? Skip the full fat ice cream and get frozen yogurt. Soda? Start with diet soda mixed with regular soda (half and half), then go full diet, then switch to something else such as iced tea.

If you need motivation, I used to be a soda addict (drank it every day) and my teeth are literally full of tiny holes because of the acid in it. You don't want hole-y teeth do you?
  • I was a Pepsi max addict.... I completely cut it out of my diet by weaning myself off it took a while but now i hate the stuff ...Diet drinks are just as bad for you maybe more so due to the added sweeteners
  • birkona
    birkona Posts: 24
    Every morning starts with Coca Cola. Then continues with junk all day long - chocolate bars, more coke, meat, carbs, then dessert. Where do I even begin to break this cycle? I'm so overwhelmed. Help?

I used to be this way but with chocolate. When I started my diet (during Easter weekend which was a BAD idea lol) I had a VERY difficult time trying not to think of chocolate. It was so difficult. I just pushed through it and did not eat any chocolate. It was tough but after 3-4 days I started to feel like my cravings drastically went down. Now I feel like I barely crave chocolate and when I do, it's not an extreme craving, just minor that I can easily brush off.

Also, one thing that really helped was lemon water. I read online that lemon water helps to reduce cravings. Everyday I would take a glass of warm water and squeeze half a lemon in it. Than I would take the lemon, cut it into four pieces, and put it in the water. Apparently the skin of the lemon is what will help reduce your cravings, so make sure to keep it on there.

You will get through this no matter what. Just be strong! Goodluck!
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    I love me junk food too but I found once I gave up soda ( I only sip on ginger ale and very, very rarely have a glass at all.) that the other things seem to fall away slowly on their own. I still indulge in junk food but I'm starting to find other healthier options now. But when I do go for junk food I read the labels now and try to make a smarter choice.
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    I was super addicted to soda for a long time and I will not drink diet soda so that was not an option. My teeth have gone really down hill (I'm 26 and have had about 7 extractions). For me every time I went to go drink a soda I thought about how it was ruining my teeth even more and I just eventually was grossed out by it. It's so bad for your over all health!!! As far as the snacking I know how that goes too and it's honestly mind over matter. You have to really be in the moment when you have a craving and say to yourself is there anything else I can do right now? You can suck on ice chips, chug some water, paint your nails, pluck your eye brows idk just anything to get your mind on something else!!
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    OMMGG the pepsi maxx!! Ugh made me burp like crazy and was literally addictive!
  • CrystalQ222
    CrystalQ222 Posts: 63 Member
    I know how you feel OP I was the same way. Always started my morning with sweets and soda. I got up to drinking 48 sodas a week...I did the 30 day water challenge to keep me motivated. I made a calender and for 30 days I drank no soda. I kicked the habit. After about 60 days I gave in and had a few here and there but def do not keep any around the house. Junk food is so hard for me too. I won't tell ya it's easy, cause it's not. I still fight with my food demons...sometimes they get the best of me. But for the most part I stick with it.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    One thing to look out for when switching to diet soda is that some people (like myself) have bad reactions to the fake sugar that's put in them. I tried switching to diet cola and it gave me migraines. I still have my soda (the regular kind), but I only drink half a day or cut other sweets if I want to fit it in. The best advice has already been shared: just pick something small. Unless there's some medical problem involved, there's no reason to turn your life around all at once. Cut back a little here, move around a little more there. It's a process and making slow changes makes it much easier to stick to. :smile:
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Eat more protein. I know its random, but I challenged myself to eat 130g of protein today and I was not hungry for dinner and had only eaten 1100 calories but knew I needed to eat more so finally am sitting down to dinner now. But I actually have not been hungry at all today.

So try upping your protein. Start your day with 20-30g protein and you might crave less.
  • annko65
    annko65 Posts: 18 Member
    Hi there,

As you can see you are not alone in this!!! I used to be sooooo addicted to crisps or chips...and I couldn't wait to finish work to buy a big bag of potato chips on my way home....
    That was my daily routine....
    It took me a few weeks to change that habit and now I carry all day, everyday at all times in my bag, un salted mixed nuts and dried foods so whenever I feel peckish or have an urge for crisps...I just open my container and have a few...
    I have never been addicted to a soda or any fizzy drinks so I don't really miss them....
    Try to take one step at a time...don't expect to change all your unhealthy habits in one go....
    For example, switch your coke to a diet coke and stick to that for a week....the next week try a sugar free chocolate bar or a cereal bar instead of your regular one etc.

Best of luck!!! You can do it and you need to believe it!!!
  • sherrymwebb
    sherrymwebb Posts: 21 Member
    Small steps. Give up one thing at a time. I replaced chips and dips with fruit. When you get the munchies for "junk food" get up and move, drink some water, eat some fruit. Start with replacing 1 bad habit with a good one. Go from there. You can do this!
  • As with anything else that is addictive I would do a "cool turkey" method. Gradual cut down of sweets is a good thing. If you are going to partake in the sweet stuff at least cut down the amount of it that you eat. For example (true story) I went to the gas station and bought reeses cups and I only ate the two out of four in the package. I saved the rest for when my husband came home so he could eat them for dessert.
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    There are two basic choices. You can quit cold turkey, though this can be rough. It works for some people. Or you can cut back. Drink fewer sodas. Start by cutting out one soda a day. You could also try smaller portions. Coke products are now available in the smaller cans. Something which may help is substitution. Instead of having a soda, try some juice or, better yet, some water. One of the main precepts of MFP is that you make incremental changes in your lifestyle which you are willing to sustain for long periods of time, preferably the rest of your life. Also, putting in healthy habits to replace old habits. Take baby steps if you need to, especially at first. Build a support group here to help you. It also helps to have your friends and family support you. If you want to cut something out of your diet, don't keep it in the house. Make healthy changes and take control of your food so it doesn't control you. Good luck!
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    i think maybe just having a little weightloss success can go a long way.
    you have to also want the change but ease into it.

can you at least eat within your caloric range and eat "some" junk? start there. i think once you see something working you might be inspired to then start replacing the junk with more healthy items, or at least start out with a balanced breakfast.

some other things to think about is why you aren't taking care of yourself...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Eat more protein. I know its random, but I challenged myself to eat 130g of protein today and I was not hungry for dinner and had only eaten 1100 calories but knew I needed to eat more so finally am sitting down to dinner now. But I actually have not been hungry at all today.

So try upping your protein. Start your day with 20-30g protein and you might crave less.

This is worth a try, maybe increase your fat intake as well.
  • That was me!! This is going to sound completely crazy but what helped me stop eating loads and loads of junk was brushing my teeth. I know, strange right? I brush my teeth after every meal and now don't crave all the junk I use to. Before I would eat constantly. Candy bar after candy bar, junk after junk. Now if I eat anything I brush my teeth afterwards and I stops me from eating more in that one sitting.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    I'm starting to think we need a Third World intervention.