BMR and calories to lose

Options
aliwhalen
aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
So far I feel like I've done well with losing weight, but I've been at this for 3 weeks and I still get hungry during the day. I was thinking at some point my body would get used to the reduction in calories, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

My BMR is 1417, and if I were trying to reduce by 20% that would mean under 1200 calories a day. I read on here a lot that people say 1200 is too few. Even if I tried to reduce by 10% instead, that's still only 1275. Does that seem more reasonable? I'm 5'4", 157 pounds, and I exercise 3-5 times a week, walking and interval running. I'd like to continue my weight loss (my current goal is 150, almost there!), but I am tired of feeling hangry!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You're getting confused you should be aiming for under your TDEE not your BMR. You have two choices either use the MFP method ands eat your exercise calories back or use a TDEE calculator and take 20% (probably 10% considering how little you have to lose) off that and eat that amount daily. You only have a small amount to lose eating under your BMR with so little to lose is not advisable and any weight you will lose will be slow.
  • aliwhalen
    Options
    Ah! Okay, let me do some calculations and figure out my TDEE (whatever that might be!) :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    10 x weight (kg) + 6.25 x height (cm) - 5 x age (y) - 161

10 x 71 + 6.25 x 162 - 5 x 30 - 161

710 + 1012 - 150 - 161

1410 x 1.2 (rest) = 1692

1410 x 1.55 (train 3 - 5 times per week) = 2185 (TDEE) - 500 (deficit) = 1685

1600 - 1700 calories per day is where I would have you...
  • aliwhalen
    Options
    Holy crikey. Yeah...1200 is WAY too few calories. No wonder the weight has been dropping off and I've been so hungry! My TDEE is 2298, 20% of that would be 1838.4, I've been eating about 600 calories a day fewer than that. :-/
  • aliwhalen
    Options
    Okay, so now to adjust my goals...I think I'm also going to lower my GW, as I near 150 I think I'd like to lose more.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss, and on toughing it out with so few calories. I've been on 1200 calories a day + whatever exercise I can "eat back" and I know it isn't easy. BUT - Isn't great to be able to lower your goal weight? I was afraid to be too ambitious at the start, but now that I've met my initial, somewhat modest goal, I see that it can be done. Ambitious is now my middle name! =)
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump. I need the same help too with my TDEE
  • aliwhalen
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss, and on toughing it out with so few calories. I've been on 1200 calories a day + whatever exercise I can "eat back" and I know it isn't easy. BUT - Isn't great to be able to lower your goal weight? I was afraid to be too ambitious at the start, but now that I've met my initial, somewhat modest goal, I see that it can be done. Ambitious is now my middle name! =)

Yes, it was encouraging, but I was realizing I needed to be eating a diet that was sustainable, and I don't think 1200 calories is for someone who has four kids and wants to be more active! The weight loss is a nice side effect of eating healthier and exercising more, but truthfully I'd rather feel like I'm strong and active than just be thin. I'm thinking an increase in calories will slow down the weight loss, but make it more sustainable.
  • aliwhalen
    Options
    Also, thanks to the above for straightening me out! I'm sure everyone around me will be thankful too, I get weird when I'm hungry ;)