Missing meals during the day

Options
I'm having one of those days that just isn't diet friendly. I was rushed to get out the door this morning for work so I had no time for breakfast - not even a piece of fruit. And I found out that I have a meeting today during lunch so I probably won't be able to eat anything until after 1:30. How can I salvage my day? I would imagine that it's not good to eat a days worth of calories in one meal or even two meals. Do you just forget about consuming those calories and consider them lost or do you try to make up for them with a bigger lunch / dinner? I'm so hungry that it will be hard to control my portions when I finally do get to eat. Help!

If this has been discussed before then I apologize. I've read all of the sticky threads and they are a wonderful resource. Thanks for helping!

Replies

• MayaPapaya64
    Options
    Ask a co worker if they have a granola bar or some type of snack. Even if it's kind of unhealthy, you should eat SOMETHING. Seriously, I think even a snicker's bar wouldn't be bad - it's about 300 calories and that's not even gonna make up for what you lost by not eating breaky, lunch.

Or vending machine pretzels and drink loads of water.
  • exp_lauren
    exp_lauren Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you can get out for a minute, go where they sell pharmacy items and buy yourself a box of meal replacement bars that approximate your calorie and nutrition goals for lunch and breakfast and keep them ready to grab when you need them on a crazy day. That's better than doing the famine and feast thing ... I understand that skipping meals and snacks can actually slow your progress because you'll be tempted to eat too much later and/or your body will go into starvation mode and slow metabolism. It would be great if you could plan for some portable snacks in the same way. Good luck!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Ask a co worker if they have a granola bar or some type of snack. Even if it's kind of unhealthy, you should eat SOMETHING. Seriously, I think even a snicker's bar wouldn't be bad - it's about 300 calories and that's not even gonna make up for what you lost by not eating breaky, lunch.

Or vending machine pretzels and drink loads of water.

Loads of water - check! I've had 6 cups since 9 am

Other than that my office is worthless right now haha. No one has anything to eat and we don't have any vending machines or lunch carts. It's a really small office with only a few employees.

I think I'm just going to try to sneak out before the meeting at noon to the local pharmacy like another poster suggested.
  • mikeyml
    Options
    If you can get out for a minute, go where they sell pharmacy items and buy yourself a box of meal replacement bars that approximate your calorie and nutrition goals for lunch and breakfast and keep them ready to grab when you need them on a crazy day. That's better than doing the famine and feast thing ... I understand that skipping meals and snacks can actually slow your progress because you'll be tempted to eat too much later and/or your body will go into starvation mode and slow metabolism. It would be great if you could plan for some portable snacks in the same way. Good luck!

I think I'm going to try this out before the meeting. I can probably get up to a pharmacy and back within 15 minutes or so. Thanks for the suggestion!

I also agree about planning ahead. I think I'm going to go to the grocery store tonight and buy a bunch of healthy snacks to keep in the office refrigerator for times like these. I need to plan ahead more. Hopefully they don't get eaten by someone else haha!
  • overit
    overit Posts: 273
    Options
    Good luck finding something to eat! I would also suggest just keeping replacement bars or granola bars at your desk and at home so you can grab it real quick.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Glad you are making time to head out and grab a meal replacement bar.

Be sure to keep some in your desk in the future. I keep a cup of all bran flakes, melba toast and almonds in my desk at all times in case of hunger emergency.
  • mikeyml
    Options
    You all are so nice and supportive! Thank you for the help. I guess I learned my lesson the hard way today about keeping snacks at the office. And in a weird way I'm kind of grateful for being hungry. I used to only eat 1-2 meals a day so I never felt hungry in the mornings.