I'm famished.

Options
I recently decided to start counting calories again after falling off the wagon. I went into the settings to see if there was anything I needed to update and I changed my activity level from light/moderate to sedentary (simply because it said desk job in parenthesis and I do work a desk job). When I did this, it changed my intake from 1600 to 1300 calories. I'm freaking starving man and I've even gone over. I feel like I eat pretty decently. I have a 10 month old and I get out a few hours during my work day so my activity level isn't actually totally sedentary. I'm wondering how accurate MFP's suggestions are or if this is simply too few calories for me. I'm 26 years old, 5'8, 188lbs. Can someone help me figure out my "macros" that I always see people swearing by?

Replies

• alexandriamarino
    alexandriamarino Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    how long have you been on the 1300? it does get easier. without seeing your diary can't make specific suggestions, but if you pack 1300 calls into a small volume of high calorie density foods, you could definitely feel empty!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Could be a few things.
    1. 1300 is too low
    2. You're not eating filling foods - with a lower calorie goal you really need to be choosy about how you use those calories.
    3. The mental thing of dropping calories. I lowered my calories yesterday and was STARVING all day - I was so sure I was going to die of starvation. It was completely mental. The idea of lowering calories had me feeling so restricted. It was ridiculous.

As far as the macro question - I love this website - it is so easy: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,218 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have mine set on sedentary too, but have an activity tracker linked with MFP, so if I'm more than sedentary I get to eat more. PLUS, if you're exercising, you need to enter that into your exercise log and eat back some of those calories (some, not all since MFPs exercise calorie burns are a bit high).
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It does not sound like you're sedentary. I would select lightly active and eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. :)
  • page8040
    page8040 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My diary is public -- thought it already was but it was for friends only. I eat protein, vegis, fruits, yogurt mainly. I don't usually eat much bread at all, although I have the past 2 days because I thought maybe it would make me feel fuller. I just cant imagine that a measly 1300 calories is sufficient for someone my size.
  • page8040
    Options
    By the way, I've only been doing this since Monday. haha And I'm on my period so maybe I'm just feeling extra greedy right now!!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    1300 seems a bit low. At sedentary I calculate close to 1500 for you. If you are hungry try bumping it up and if you continue to lose then leave it at the high amount. Also, log your exercise and eat it back. When I want to eat extra, I take a walk to balance it out. Eat nutritious and nutrient dense foods, they will fill you up more. Drink lots of water. As far as macros, I set mine to 40% carb 30% protein and 30% fat. For me, decreasing the carbs from the recommended 55% keeps me less hungry and crave less sugar and the extra protein is good with weight lifting..
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Quick question: did you set your MFP target at 2 lbs a week? I'm guessing that's the problem; at 5'8" and 188 pounds, you should probably be losing at a rate of 1 lb/week.

I like the Scooby calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/), which puts your BMR at 1644 and your sedentary TDEE -20% (intake 20% fewer calories than you'd need to maintain weight) at 1578. To me, that says your previous goal of 1600 +exercise is probably better, especially if you don't feel famished at that target.

Here's how to calculate your macros: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    From what I see you have a child, which means you have responsibilities, cleaning cooking laundry, running around are you really THAT sedentary... just because you sit at a desk all day doesn't necessarily mean that you don't burn any calories throughout the day. Also if you're exercising that will give you more as well. If you're hungry EAT! just make sure its because you're really hungry and not bored (that's my problem)
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You should be aiming to lose 1lb a week, not 2
  • AngeliqueAcee
    AngeliqueAcee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 185 lb.
    I started on Monday like you and MFP says I should eat 1200 cals. Tbh the first day was hellish and I went over a 100 or so. But I'm getting used to it. I may just be a settling in period from last week when you could eat however much you wanted? :)
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    What is sufficient? You aren't trying to maintain, but to lose weight. Eat what MFP tells you to do, including exercise calories, and reevaluate after a full month. It will get easier.
  • lsgordon02143
    lsgordon02143 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Also, you said you have a baby - if you are breastfeeding, that will add a large-ish caloric need right there. I'm about your height, and I would be miserable at less than 1500 Cal per day. In fact, I exercise about 400 per day and eat them all back plus my allotted 1700 or whatever (1/2 lb per week goal loss) because if I eat less than 2100 per day, I'm a very unhappy person. I know lots of people eat less, but I just need food too much. Good luck!!
  • page8040
    Options
    Thank you ladies. I forgot that I think I did set it to either 1.5 or 2lbs a week -- I guess I asked for it, huh? I definitely felt better when I was eating 1600 and yes, I do have a desk job but now that I think about it, I don't really sit down once I leave work until I go to sleep (I don't watch tv or anything). Usually play with baby, cook dinner, laundry, dishes, etc. I'm probably more active than I think I am. I'm going to look into those websites too. I've seen the Scooby one namedropped several times on the boards.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I seem to disagree with most on this post. I don't think you should tough it out. If you're hungry you won't stick to it. Increase your intake. After a couple of weeks, if you lose weight, keep it at that level. If not, lower it a bit.

Don't be a martyr! It will increase the chances of failure.
  • page8040
    Options
    I seem to disagree with most on this post. I don't think you should tough it out. If you're hungry you won't stick to it. Increase your intake. After a couple of weeks, if you lose weight, keep it at that level. If not, lower it a bit.

Don't be a martyr! It will increase the chances of failure.

Totally agree. I'm not into the whole "starvation diet" thing. I really believe in eating well and nourishing your body and I feel like I am neglecting mine right now. I think I'm just gonna switch it back to 1600 and see if that doesn't make a huge difference.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    great advice from the posters. OP that new goal of 1 lb per week will be much easier on you and you'll still love the weight loss. 4 lbs per month or 48lbs per year is nothing to take lightly, you'll feel great.
  • savannahhuey
    Options
    I am in the same boat as u. I am 29 years old, I used to be 5'8", but I guess in my old age I'm shrinking cuz I'm now 5'7" lol. Anyways, today is my first day on here, I was 192 when I weighed myself this morning, but stepped on the scale again this afternoon and it said 188. In my brain, I know it was probably water weight, but I'm going to just say that I'm freaking awesome at this weight loss already! Lol I, like u, put sedentary. I am a stay at home mom of a 6 year old boy and a 3 year old girl. I'm sure that I'm not completely sedentary since I feel like I am constantly cleaning up after them, but I chose sedentary so that my daily calorie intake would be lower. I chose the option to lose 2 lbs per week because, let's be honest, when u want to lose weight, u want it to happen NOW. Anyways, I find that I eat when I am bored, so I am trying to do something physical when I just want to snack, then I can earn some food points. I am also trying to be adament about the 8 glasses of water per day, but my goodness! I feel like I'm drowning sometimes! Anywho, that's probably enough complaining since its only my first day! Wish u lots of luck!