Bodybuilders...need your help!!!

Options
So I am not 100% new to lifting but have not been regular at it for a while. I am back at the gym and have a workout buddy who is in great shape and wants to enter a bodybuilding competition. I also want to train similiarly (although not sure I'd have the guts to compete). So our first step was to make an appointment with a trainer and figure out a workout. Um....that was WORTHLESS, appears nobody could help us to show us even where to begin to start. We got the basics of work out legs one day, arms one day...blah blah blah.
Neither of us have much weight to lose. We are 120-130 range at 5'4. We are both in descent shape and want to start lifting heavy and serious about aiming for a bodybuilder physique.
Can anyone out there point us in the right direction of where to start for a routine? I don't want to willy nilly pick one off of bodybuilder.com and waste time. Anyone out there that has been there/done this and has solid advise on do this, or make sure not to do that?
Help!!! It seems so overwhelming.

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    You will want to lift heavy and use a mass building program (I'm assuming your goal is to build muscle).

You will need to eat at a surplus to gain weight for your bulk. Then you will cut while lifting to lose fat while maintain the new muscle you made.

Go here for info ---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/50202-goal-gaining-weight

and here
    > http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51470-women-who-bulk

on bb.com forum "first time bulkers" thread ---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128051673
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Ps you have an incredible body already! What I wouldn't give for a butt like that!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I just came for the bodybuilders :drinker:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i just came for the profile pic, is that really you OP?
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    some programs will be better then others to reach your goals.

but as long as your working your whole body over the course of a week, you train to failure, and you don't wait more then 3 days between training a particular body part, i don't think you can really be said to be wasting your time.
  • squatsAlot
    squatsAlot Posts: 16
    Options
    Ha, no that is my goal butt...I tried to use my actual picture in my profile and it just showed lots of boobage..
  • squatsAlot
    Options
    Ps you have an incredible body already! What I wouldn't give for a butt like that!

Ya, just my goal booty pic, I also would die for that butt...and I'm gonna die trying
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Get on a 5x5 heavy lifting program. Ice cream fitness 5x5 is my favorite. It is a great beginners program for building a muscular base. As far as lifting 1 body part per day, that's not the best idea for a natural bodybuilder. That more geared for people who use PEDs.
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Looks like ChickenTuna's butt in your profile pic OP! Great motivation for sure!

Honestly, I think that this bodybuilding contest you will be signing up for is not worth your time if you don't spend some money. Unfortunately. And I say that because i'm assuming you want to place decent in the competition but my competitiveness might be taking over here.

The people that go into these body building, bikini, fitness comps train with a trainer that they pay tons of money for. This will include your cardio, wight training and nutrition with weekly check ins and weekly progress pics. With these pictures the trainer will adjust your training accordingly to get best results for the competition day.

I know this doesn't answer your question but maybe some information you didn't know :drinker:
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Looks like ChickenTuna's butt in your profile pic OP! Great motivation for sure!

Honestly, I think that this bodybuilding contest you will be signing up for is not worth your time if you don't spend some money. Unfortunately. And I say that because i'm assuming you want to place decent in the competition but my competitiveness might be taking over here.

The people that go into these body building, bikini, fitness comps train with a trainer that they pay tons of money for. This will include your cardio, wight training and nutrition with weekly check ins and weekly progress pics. With these pictures the trainer will adjust your training accordingly to get best results for the competition day.

I know this doesn't answer your question but maybe some information you didn't know :drinker:

i hear a lot of women complaining that if they don't pander to the most well known, expensive 'trainer' in thier area then they can't hope to place at all.

In other words, you got to pay to play and if you don't grease the right persons palm then you can not win.

found your post interesting
  • squatsAlot
    Options
    Information I didn't know = a whole hell of a lot!!!

Ha thanks, why does everything come down to money??? Turns out you can actually buy a hot body..hmmmm? I'm also new to the "bulking" what the hell? It makes me sad to even think about it?

Now this makes sense when one of the trainers almost busted a gut and tried to keep his composure while the other one explained that "ya these two want to be bodybuilders".

The more research I do, the sadder I get, *sniff sniff
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    okay- hold up.

Do you want to do an ACTUALY body building comp- or do you want to do bikini, fitness figure or physique??

Because those are all different categories and one you can do sooner than the others.

If you want to do bikini you could probably diet your way into a comp this summer.

If you want an ACTUAL bb comp- you need probably 10 months of aggressive guided training.

figure, fitness, phsique are all in middling stages of that.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    bump
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    get involved in fitness competitions! It is much more fun and competitive, and way less stacked!
    It's a combo of body building and doing stuff, like handstands, flip, handsprings and such. It's not all vanity, it's also skill.
  • squatsAlot
    Options
    okay- hold up.

Do you want to do an ACTUALY body building comp- or do you want to do bikini, fitness figure or physique??

Because those are all different categories and one you can do sooner than the others.

If you want to do bikini you could probably diet your way into a comp this summer.

If you want an ACTUAL bb comp- you need probably 10 months of aggressive guided training.

figure, fitness, phsique are all in middling stages of that.

I myself just want to look more ripped than flabby. My partner in crime would probably do bikini and work herself into bb if we can get the right resources. I just want to look like a goddess and be able to do a pullup, ha! I could care less if I won anything. Being able to rock a bikini is reward enough for me. I am just so inspired by all the heavy lifters on mfp, I'm like wait for me, me too, me too,um hmmm where to start??
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Information I didn't know = a whole hell of a lot!!!

Ha thanks, why does everything come down to money??? Turns out you can actually buy a hot body..hmmmm? I'm also new to the "bulking" what the hell? It makes me sad to even think about it?

Now this makes sense when one of the trainers almost busted a gut and tried to keep his composure while the other one explained that "ya these two want to be bodybuilders".

The more research I do, the sadder I get, *sniff sniff

no can't buy a hot body.

but when every body is basically just as hot as the next, and you're paying the guy who's either a judge or has an 'in' with them, its going to improve your chances from what i hear.
  • jchenks
    Options

i hear a lot of women complaining that if they don't pander to the most well known, expensive 'trainer' in thier area then they can't hope to place at all.

In other words, you got to pay to play and if you don't grease the right persons palm then you can not win.

found your post interesting

In regards to "greasing the right persons palm", There are A LOT of politics within the industry. Now, i'm not one to speak from experience, I have not competed but a good friend of mine has, several times and I've attended her shows.

If you want to place, a trainer is the way to go. There is so much knowledge in the industry and so many ways about things. I mainly speak of the water depletion in the body when you are a 2 weeks or a week out. I've seen girls behind stage sipping on wine before they go out on stage or taking vodka shots. Its very interesting.

Again on the money matter. Other than spending money on the trainer, the amount of money you spend on chicken.... vegetables, and fish is outrageous

I feeling like I'm bashing the world of body building but that isn't my intention. I do feel that there isn't a lot of knowledge out there for people to be able to research. Trainers charge a certain amount of money for their services and have the client sign a waiver asking that the nutrition and work out information remain private. Otherwise everyone would be doing it.
  • jchenks
    Options
    get involved in fitness competitions! It is much more fun and competitive, and way less stacked!
    It's a combo of body building and doing stuff, like handstands, flip, handsprings and such. It's not all vanity, it's also skill.

I Youtube the fitness competitions. So interesting!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

Ya, just my goal booty pic, I also would die for that butt...and I'm gonna die trying

Don't you feel a bit uncomfortable posting up a profile pic of someone that's not you? Then asking advice how to improve your body knowing everyone is looking at it and wondering how to help.

Bizaaaaaaare.....

Edit to add if you're 5'4" 120-130 you're going to have to cut first, probably 5-10lb fat. That body is about 16-18% and very youthful.
    Keep squatting the whole way through your cut. Then do a clean(accurate) bulk after, then.....phew....cut again.

Good luck.
  • OnU2nite
    OnU2nite Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Drop weight and focus on engaging the muscle you are supposed to be working with each exercise, then build from there with tempo and more weight.. Plyometric exercises, cardio, lots of water, more cardio and super clean eating.

Good Luck