Starvation and Cleansing

Options
o2blori
o2blori Posts: 168 Member
I had someone ask me a question that I don't know how to answer. I was saying that I was worried about getting my calories to 1200 because I didn't want to throw my body into starvation. Earlier, we had talked about starting the Shakeology Cleanse which is 800-1100 calories a day. He asked why a cleanse wouldn't throw your body into starvation mode and just store fat.

Anyone know the answer?

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    It will. Eating less than 1200 calories overtime will result in your body going into starvation mode. Try eating clean for a week 1200 calories, you’ll clean out that Christmas junk and won’t have to go on a cleanse – especially an expensive one like Shakeology.

* 1200 being the recommended number for the average adult women. Very petite women may feel differently.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Easy answer is that it is not a restricted calorie diet over a long period of time. "starvation mode" does not happen overnight, it takes weeks of under eating to slow your metabolism down.
  • healthygrl
    healthygrl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It will. Eating less than 1200 calories overtime will result in your body going into starvation mode. Try eating clean for a week 1200 calories, you’ll clean out that Christmas junk and won’t have to go on a cleanse – especially an expensive one like Shakeology.

* 1200 being the recommended number for the average adult women. Very petite women may feel differently.

I agree....plus drink a ton of water to flush out extra sodium and get back on track.
  • hmlayman
    Options
    Why is "eating clean" and "cleaning your system out" a big deal anyway? What's the purpose? Why is it so important?
  • julluv
    julluv Posts: 27
    Options
    stupid question maybe: How do you eat clean???
  • jonjoyner83
    Options
    My understanding is that it takes up to 72 hours for starvation mode to kick in. That is why fasting is acceptable given you don't fast for two consecutive days.
  • o2blori
    Options

I actually drink Shakeology daily. so, the price really isn't an issue. But I was just wondering why cleanses in general don't send your body into starvation.
  • o2blori
    Options
    My understanding is that it takes up to 72 hours for starvation mode to kick in. That is why fasting is acceptable given you don't fast for two consecutive days.

Ok, this was more what I was looking for. I didn't really know how long it takes for your body to go into starvation mode. Thanks everyone for the answers and thoughts. You're the best!
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is HUGE! The chemicals and non-food junk in our diet mess up all of your systems, making them work less efficiently. You need nourishment from food for your body and metabolism to function the way it should. Chemicals additives are not food. When I read the ingredient list I think of it like this: If God made it, eat it. If man made it, don't!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Why is "eating clean" and "cleaning your system out" a big deal anyway? What's the purpose? Why is it so important?

Eating clean. Well, I dropped bout 6lbs in one week just by eating clean. It is very important not just in weightloss but also for your health!!!! It's a lifestyle change. You stop eatin processed foods, junk foods, eat lean foods. Don't eat red meat only once or twice a month if at all, eat more fruits and veggies. It helps your body reach it's fitness goals and you get so many health benefits from it. It's not something you do for a week or two. It's something ppl do for the rest of their lives. Yea, you need a cheat day. But, you totally feel more energy by eatin clean. It's not a cleanse or at least it's not intended to be a cleanse. If you want to cleanse your body buy a juicer and drink fresh fruits and veggies a couple of days and drink alot of water.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    People can fast for up to a week safely if done right. It's done often particularly in observation of religious events. I would suggest doing some research on it and methods. Look at India, Islamic cultures and Buddhism. I believe there's things like supplemental teas that are supposed to help or some such - unfortunately, I don't know the details. I am not disciplined enough to do this yet.

eating clean/cleansing is important because there's a tremendous number of "toxins" in the food we currently consume and over time, it will cause illness, dis-ease and discomfort; plus, we tend to consume in great quantities toxic products in their own right - coffee in large quantities, soda, processed sugar rather than raw, processed salt, bleached flours & products.....

eating clean means, basically, organic products: eggs from free range chickens rather than cooped & corn fed; meat and dairy from free range cows or hunted meat (deer, rabbit, squirrel, snake, etc) rather than mass produced and captive breeding environments where the animal's food could be toxic and the living conditions are unnatural; vegetables and produce from local farmers and farms and avoidance of processed and pre-packaged foods due to the toxicity levels from preservatives and what not. Grains you get whole and unprocessed. Some people have better access to these things than others or more resources to obtain these kinds of products, so as cleanly as you can is - of course - relative.
  • staceyseal
    staceyseal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    People lose weight all the time eating a 800--1200 calorie diet. The way you eat it counts. Highly nutritious foods eaten every 2-3 hours will not put you in starvation mode. I know people that were on this diet for a year and lost almost 200 pounds. I have lost 50 in just over two months. I keep losing and so do those people, we are doing Take Shape For Life and I am a health coach. One of our coaches is in the recent issue of People magazine. I can tell you more if you email me. BTW I lost 20 pounds between thanksgiving and the new year! Most people gain 10!
  • o2blori
    Options
    Eating clean is HUGE! The chemicals and non-food junk in our diet mess up all of your systems, making them work less efficiently. You need nourishment from food for your body and metabolism to function the way it should. Chemicals additives are not food. When I read the ingredient list I think of it like this: If God made it, eat it. If man made it, don't!

I love this!
  • Sunnygirl0619
    Options
    I really like your post about if "God made it, Eat it" if "man made it, don't eat it"
    I recently thought about the different foods we eat here in my house and basically I have changed my way of thinking about certain foods because of what "man puts it in"!!!
  • PokenStick
    Options
    It's along the same lines of what Jillian Micheal's book, Master Your Metabolism, is about. It's a decent read if you can pick it up for free at your local library. I don't recommend buying it as it took me all of a couple hours to read it. Basically eating clean will put your systems and hormones in order. I believe her saying is that if it didn't come from the ground or didn't have a mother, don't eat it.
  • julluv
    julluv Posts: 27
    Options
    gotcha! makes sense now ! thanks for the info!
  • o2blori
    Options
    It's along the same lines of what Jillian Micheal's book, Master Your Metabolism, is about. It's a decent read if you can pick it up for free at your local library. I don't recommend buying it as it took me all of a couple hours to read it. Basically eating clean will put your systems and hormones in order. I believe her saying is that if it didn't come from the ground or didn't have a mother, don't eat it.

Thanks for this info!