When should I bump up my weights?

Options
Lifting.

When should you add more weigh? When you stop being sore? I know I totally sound ignorant. Haven't lifted since high school.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    What is your goal lifting?

To build strength? Then keep in the 4-6 rep range and add weight each time.

To build muscle? Then keep in the 8-12 rep range and when you can do all your sets up to 12, add weight.
  • ksparkby
    ksparkby Posts: 28
    Options

To build muscle? Then keep in the 8-12 rep range and when you can do all your sets up to 12, add weight.

Strength is my goal. Thank you!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Depending on your goals you change you effort (overload and progression) by either increasing duration or increasing intensity. So as your current workload becomes routine, you can increase a few reps or add weight to exhaust the muscle. You can also challenge muscles through variation, so mixing up what exercises you do.
  • ksparkby
    Options
    Depending on your goals you change you effort (overload and progression) by either increasing duration or increasing intensity. So as your current workload becomes routine, you can increase a few reps or add weight to exhaust the muscle. You can also challenge muscles through variation, so mixing up what exercises you do.

I see. I read something today that said to do 6-10 different exercises.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

you add weight each time you succeed at all reps and sets with good form...there is a difference.

Usually 5lbs but with women and the upper body a lot of use fractionals or weighted collars and move up a couple pounds each time...

For example my bench is moving from 123.5 (weighted collars) to 125 on Saturday as I succeeded in push up 5 sets of 5 reps.
  • ksparkby
    Options

you add weight each time you succeed at all reps and sets with good form...there is a difference.

Usually 5lbs but with women and the upper body a lot of use fractionals or weighted collars and move up a couple pounds each time...

For example my bench is moving from 123.5 (weighted collars) to 125 on Saturday as I succeeded in push up 5 sets of 5 reps.

So, for example, if I start out with a 5lb dumbbell, and I can do my reps without struggling (or losing form), I need to bump it up but only a couple lbs?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

For basic strength training, doing the 4 main compound lifts is usually enough. That's the squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press. Most routines add a few assistance exercises for flavour but usually beginner routines have 5 exercises per day max.
    You can look into some beginner routines. Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, there's probably more.
  • ksparkby
    Options

For basic strength training, doing the 4 main compound lifts is usually enough. That's the squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press. Most routines add a few assistance exercises for flavour but usually beginner routines have 5 exercises per day max.
    You can look into some beginner routines. Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, there's probably more.

Thanks!