working out every day? Am I doing more harm than good?

Options
2»

Replies

• cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week usually and my 7th day I make sure to stay active enough walking the dog, dancing with my daughter, bike riding for fun etc.

I run 6 days a week and lift 3 days a week. On days where I lift during the week I run 3-4 miles only and on non-lifting days I run longer. Saturdays are the longest. I incorporate abs 3x a week.

My body gets tired after a while - I think partly because I do push hard every time I go (ok 85% of the time) and I find that splitting my workouts (when I lift in the AM I run at lunch or in the evening due to time) seems to make me more sore sometimes. I need my rest day and will set myself up for failure in every way if I don't take it.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i use to workout everyday just recently stoped some days ago decided to give myself 2 rest days from now on i never hit a plateau so far ... also i think its fine .. but when you feel like you need to rest . rest. *~!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Sorry y'all, guess I should be clear on what I do for workouts -

Mon - 45 minCardio - arms/abs
    Tues - 45 min cardio - legs/abs
    Weds - a class of some sort - tonight is body sculpt (abs)
    Thurs - 60 min cardio
    Friday - boot camp - 90 minutes
    Saturday - Zumba
    Sunday - 45 min. cardio - arms/abs

I use 8 or 10 pound dumbbells and kettle bells for my weight workouts.

That is a hella lot of cardio. :noway:
  • fitfor40tx
    fitfor40tx Posts: 30
    Options
    cardio - running or elliptical.

I knew better than to ask for advice on here. I know most disagree with my workouts but it's been working for me. thanks.
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You might feel fine now but in the long run its not very healthy in my opinion.

You should keep in mind that the health benefits from exercise come when your body is an anabolic state (aka REST) not when you are pushing it...
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

I knew better than to ask for advice on here. I know most disagree with my workouts but it's been working for me. thanks.

You got a lot of good advice. I don't see anyone being rude to you...
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options

Nobody is really disagreeing with you. In fact, I LOVE cardio, that's why I refuse to give up running. I lost and maintained a 110 lb weight loss through cardio only. A lot of people love the benefits of lifting and aren't shy in saying it.

If your question is whether or not you should take a rest day - you really need to just listen to your body. ANother posted had a great response and said it depends largely on the intensity of the workouts. It doesn't do you any good to keep pounding the pavement if you can tell you need a rest day so just listen to your body!!
  • fitfor40tx
    fitfor40tx Posts: 30
    Options

Nobody is really disagreeing with you. In fact, I LOVE cardio, that's why I refuse to give up running. I lost and maintained a 110 lb weight loss through cardio only. A lot of people love the benefits of lifting and aren't shy in saying it.

If your question is whether or not you should take a rest day - you really need to just listen to your body. ANother posted had a great response and said it depends largely on the intensity of the workouts. It doesn't do you any good to keep pounding the pavement if you can tell you need a rest day so just listen to your body!!

I was hesistant to post my workout because I get told "too much of this", etc. It seems like every time I come on here people are pretty judgmental, so I apologize.

I appreciate everyone's responses. thank you.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    Sorry y'all, guess I should be clear on what I do for workouts -

Mon - 45 minCardio - arms/abs
    Tues - 45 min cardio - legs/abs
    Weds - a class of some sort - tonight is body sculpt (abs)
    Thurs - 60 min cardio
    Friday - boot camp - 90 minutes
    Saturday - Zumba
    Sunday - 45 min. cardio - arms/abs

I use 8 or 10 pound dumbbells and kettle bells for my weight workouts.

That is a hella lot of cardio. :noway:

Seems like an excessive focus on abs too. FFS, it's not that big of a muscle group.
  • joey022682
    joey022682 Posts: 5
    Options
    OVER TRAINING IS NOT A MYTH! http://suppversity.blogspot.de/2012/05/overtraining-inflammation-insufficient.html

You have to take some time off in between workouts best thing in my opinion is to train five days a week alternating between cardio and strength depending on your goals. Then take the weekend off to let your body repair itself and to rid itself of all the inflammation.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone who has now worked out 827 days in a row.... I'd say it's ok. I get over injuries faster that others I have known with the same injury that take time off to 'recover'

I'm doing fine.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Treadmill running I assume? Even that is quite stressful on the legs and whilst the elliptical doesn't apply the same loads on the joints you're working similar muscle groups all the time.

With that in mind you are unlikely to make much progress. I'd suggest swapping out some elliptical work for rowing, cycling or swimming if you have the opportunity. Rowing and swimming start to give you some upper body effect to spread the load.

Its also worth using the sessions to do different types of training; long duration moderate intensity, shorter but higher intensity and interval sessions at highest intensities. Those each have complementary effects on your fitness.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options

i agree with your workouts you wanna work it go for it :0
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

oh. well, carry on then
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Asks for advice, then gets mad at said advice... seems legit. *shrug* :ohwell:

Good Luck on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ya know what's really fun...instead of taking a rest day, just keep going because you feel fine and whatnot...and then wham...instead of a rest day you're taking an 8-12 week rest period. Ask me how I know how fun that is.

Given my personal experiences and having watched others crash and burn as well, I am an avid believer in taking at least one rest day per week regardless of how you "feel". I believe this to be essential if you're doing any sort of intense and/or prolonged workout sessions every week.

Mind you, a rest day doesn't mean just sitting around doing nothing...it is rest from vigorous activity that stresses the body...I still go walk my dog for 3 miles on a rest day and maybe do some restorative yoga or take the kids to the pool and goof around; in that sense, I'm generally recreationally active on rest days...I just don't push anything to the extent of calling it a "workout."
  • motox138
    motox138 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I try and crossfit 5 days a week, and my trainer tells me to keep moving on the weekend though, at least walking and stretching everyday. Stay moving :)
  • bunniehops
    bunniehops Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    you go girl.. do whatever's good for you...