Feel free to "weigh-in" :)

Options
So, I recorded my weight last Thursday as 166.4. I was very proud of myself since the last time I saw such a number was after an 8-week adventure in Peru where I stayed too sick to engage in my usual dietary frivolity. On the Tuesday after that weight, I decided to weigh myself again after an arduous exercise routine on Monday. I was up to 168.8 and rather depressed about it after working so hard. For complete disclosure, I do not record what I eat on Sundays... I try to eat reasonably, but I allow myself to eat pretty much whatever I want and I seem to be making progress so far. I feel great and confident, but I don't like the scale creeping in the wrong direction.
My question to you fine folks is how often you weigh and why, as well as if you always record the weight on MFP or do you kind of give it some time to try to get your low. I realize that weight fluctuates based on a variety of factors, so I'm slightly consoled, but there's still that worry that my Sunday of freedom will come back to bite me. Feel free to add me... I'm a 20-something female 5'5" looking to lose 30ish lbs.

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I weigh up to three times a day and I'm learning how much weight fluctuates during the day. I report on MFP once per week.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, naked and after I visit the bathroom. I log my daily weights in an app on my iPod (WeightRecord) and log new lows in MFP. I like knowing how my previous days eating and activity affect my weight.
  • Fat2FitMyDrive
    Fat2FitMyDrive Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on the 14th and the 28th of the month, reason being because Feb only has 28 days. Sometimes I'll go a day early as in the case yesterday when I'm excited to see how things are going.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every. morning, naked and after I visit the bathroom. I log my daily weights in an app on my iPod (WeightRecord) and log new lows in MFP. I like knowing how my previous days eating and activity affect my weight.

Same here except I use Excel to track daily weights as well as estimated TDEE from my fitbit, goal calories, consumed calories, all my macros and also daily steps.
  • DebSM2
    DebSM2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Weigh in officially on Wednesdays. Occasionally will step on the scale between to see what the number is, but not too concerned about fluctuations the wrong direction. Unless it becomes a trend. My goal is to be vigilant with tracking (and making healthier choices on a more regular basis) and am so far successful not letting the number on the scale make or break my day.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I weigh every single day in the mornings and collect all the data to calculate a moving average with a 7-day interval. Why I do that is to be able to get rid of those pesky fluctuations and track how much weight I'm actually losing per week.
  • IMNotanumber
    IMNotanumber Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Someone said the following:

"I weigh every single day in the mornings and collect all the data to calculate a moving average with a 7-day interval. Why I do that is to be able to get rid of those pesky fluctuations and track how much weight I'm actually losing per week."

That is a really good idea. I weigh in every day in the morning naked and after I visit the bathroom, too. I log it on MFP, but I notice a daily up and down. The TREND, however, is moving in the right direction right now, so I am happy about that. Daily fluctuations are accounted for by water intake, salt intake, temperature, etc. I have also noticed that my weight increases by pounds if I have a day where I just ate everything I wanted to - like cheese, breads, wines, etc. Usually, it takes me a couple days to get back to the pre-binge weight, but I have to focus on doing so, otherwise I end up putting on a couple pounds here and a couple there. My suggestion: don't focus on daily fluctuations, but look at the major direction of the trend.

:flowerforyou:
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I only weigh when I feel signicantly lighter and my stomach is super flat...

I also weigh myself after a run...just for fun...My weight hasn't changed for years so it's really nothing that can make any difference..
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I weigh every single day in the mornings and collect all the data to calculate a moving average with a 7-day interval. Why I do that is to be able to get rid of those pesky fluctuations and track how much weight I'm actually losing per week.

I do the same. If you are not sure how to calculate a moving average, I use the app "WeightTrend+" to do this for me. Each day, it tells me how much my TREND weight has gone down from the previous day -- so even if my daily weight isn't lower than the previous day's, I know that overall I am still going down.

I record my trend weight with MFP once a week. Ex: my weight this morning was 200.4, and my trend weight (average for the week) was 202.8 lbs.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Mondays and thursdays. Am just after the bathroom.
    Mondays i usually weigh more as sundays we climb, we often have more carbs on sunday dinner , and this week i took some ibuprofen. ( all of which cause me to retain water.). Ive been known to retain up to 5 kg (10 lb) of water within a few days.
    Depending on how your lifestly goes, u may just want to ecord 1 day / week.
    Also for females there is always the monthly cycle.
    ( must find link for the plot on poster put in about looking at trends...)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options

"I weigh every single day in the mornings and collect all the data to calculate a moving average with a 7-day interval. Why I do that is to be able to get rid of those pesky fluctuations and track how much weight I'm actually losing per week."
    There's a few apps that will do this for you and do various of the calculations 'behind' it to give you useful figures, graphs, calorie deficits and so on.
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, naked and after I visit the bathroom.

Same and I record it on MFP. I have the opposite problem of a lot of people. It seems like a lot of people get on the scale, don't see what they want, and it makes them depressed. I'm exactly the opposite. In the past when I lost weight and then didn't subsequently weigh myself, I convince myself I can eat pretty much whatever I want without consequences. However, when I weigh myself every day, I remind myself every morning that I have to eat a calorie deficit to have a chance at losing a little weight that day.

Weighing myself every week, though, is the absolute worst for me. After a week I expect to see results, and if I don't, I (unreasonably) feel defeated. For some reason, staying the same weight over the course of 7 daily weigh ins doesn't do that to me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I also weigh every morning. Never more than once a day. I have a weigh in day (two currently) and I log that weight on MFP. The other weights are: (1) to see the overall trend and not get confused if my weigh-in falls on a day I'm fluctuating up or down outside the average; and (2) to get over my emotional reaction to the number so I won't be so resistent to weigh myself when I know it will be bad news. Refusing to weigh myself contributed to me waiting way too long to get control of my weight gain over the past few years, and I need to just treat it as a piece of information going forward.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, naked and after I visit the bathroom.

Same and I record it on MFP. I have the opposite problem of a lot of people. It seems like a lot of people get on the scale, don't see what they want, and it makes them depressed. I'm exactly the opposite. In the past when I lost weight and then didn't subsequently weigh myself, I convince myself I can eat pretty much whatever I want without consequences. However, when I weigh myself every day, I remind myself every morning that I have to eat a calorie deficit to have a chance at losing a little weight that day.

Weighing myself every week, though, is the absolute worst for me. After a week I expect to see results, and if I don't, I (unreasonably) feel defeated. For some reason, staying the same weight over the course of 7 daily weigh ins doesn't do that to me.

I know this is all mind game but still...if you weigh yourself every day with same result, wouldn't that be the same as every 7 days with same result?
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I will be weighing in every morning for 6 months to get a base line for my period, water loss during tournament or really hard sparing session with my instructor, or weight gain if I eat a ton of salt in winter.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You got a lot of good information about weighing in so I will simply offer the compliment of the use of frivolity.
  • becky4m
    becky4m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning before showers, after workouts. I only record that weight into MFP once a week. Unless there is a huge drop.... like over a pound. (which doesn't happen very often)