Protein question

Options
Is it a bad thing to go way over my protein in a day?

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have an underlying medical condition. Also, if you're going by MFP's default protein number, it's pretty hilariously low and should be treated as a minimum anyway. Typically, when you're active, especially exercising or weightlifting, it's recommended about 1g per pound of lean body mass of protein. Also, it's important to meet your other needs like fats, fiber and carbs as well.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    No like the poster above me said if you go by the MFP diary the numbers they give for protein are too low.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    As long as you don't have an underlying medical condition. Also, if you're going by MFP's default protein number, it's pretty hilariously low and should be treated as a minimum anyway. Typically, when you're active, especially exercising or weightlifting, it's recommended about 1g per pound of lean body mass of protein. Also, it's important to meet your other needs like fats, fiber and carbs as well.

^This.

I eat over 125 g of protein everyday, sometimes in the 160's depending on the day. Looking at your diary, you're set at 68g...I definitely don't think it would hurt to go over :smile:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Not sure how much protein you eat but I eat about 200g a day and I'm doing just fine.

ETA: Just noticed your diary was open and your protein goal is only set to 68g. Yeah, you can eat a lot more protein than that....like 4 times that much...that is actually pretty low.
  • nmacchi
    nmacchi Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    awesome thanks. I didn't know what to set the numbers at so I just used what MFP said.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I second the higher protein amounts -- I aim for 0.7 g per lb bodyweight (which is roughly 1 gr per lb LBM). This amount is hte minimum I've seen to have been shown to help maintain or minimize the loss of LBM when in a caloric deficit -- so when you're losing, you're losing more fat and keeping as much muscle as possible. Lifting heavy also aids in this.

The only time too much protein is a problem is if you have a medical issue where you have to restrict it (like kidney disease) or if you're trying to do a keto diet -- too much protein can throw you out of ketosis. But if those aren't your issues, then you're good.