Just ran for the 1st time -nausea/dizzy- will it get easier?

Options
So running on the elliptical has always been pretty easy for me. I'm not overweight, I'm 5'8 and 135lbs and didn't think I'd have too much of a problem transitioning from my elliptical to running outdoors.

I was so wrong! I only got 3 miles in but it was absolute torture! I HATE complaining but I seriously thought I was going to pass out. Major nausea, headache, dizziness, inability to breathe... it even felt like my chest was seizing up. I do have exercise induced asthma but its been completely fine lately. My muscles really didn't hurt at all... it was everything else. People say they love running and I totally would too if I didn't feel like passing out on the side of the road!

I don't know if this has to do with the fact that I have asthma or that I didn't drink any water all day (seriously stupid move on my part, was in classes and forgot to bring water) but I REALLY want to get into running 3-4 days a week but I just wonder if its going to get any easier, and at all enjoyable.

So I'm just wondering... will it get easier? When will I stop feel like dying whenever I run (haha)? I tend to run pretty fast, then slow down to a quick but steady pace, and then I just feel like collapsing after just 2 minutes of solid, fast running.

Any tips on how to approach this? Will it get easier to the point of enjoying running? I hate complaining about anything workout or diet related but this was farrrrr beyond uncomfortable. thanks :)

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You mention asthma and not having had any water (or enough...) Talk to your dr about the asthma - you can run if he is OK with it and if you have your inhaler with you...

Never run when dehidrated - make sure you drink water all day long - not just before you run - that will make you feel sick. Dehidration will also make you dizzy and sick...

Most important thing is TO GO SLOW..... Until you are used to running at least 3 km, it is never a race.....Run at a pace where you can still talk or sing with your IPOD - if you get too out of breath for that, go slower....Right now, you do not need speed, you need endurance, so go slow.......
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Yes - slow down. Many people when they start running think they should be running faster, but in reality, running and sprinting are two different actions. You should be able to carry on a conversation while running, if you can't, you are pushing too hard. Eliptical and running are two different animals. You need to acclimatize to the new exercise slowly. Build a base slowly so that you build the stamina in your lungs, legs and will power.
  • gooserocks85
    gooserocks85 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    running outdoors is very different from the elliptical, as you found out. give your body time to adapt to it. slow down, don't go as far, try incorporating walk intervals (gradually increase the running, with time), and make sure you're properly hydrated (especially if it's sunny/hot outside).

it'll get easier, just give it time!
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing so much on your first run?
  • sarahmctaggart
    sarahmctaggart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, slow right down!!! The mistake a lot of people make when starting to run outdoors is they trying running non-stop. Like anything you need to train your body to be able to do this and get used to it.

When I started I used a programme which is couch to 5km and wow it worked a treat. If you follow this, you will be running 5km by the end of it (and non-stop).

Also remember it is not a race, I have been running for a while now and I am still not fast!
  • diamonddaveperry
    diamonddaveperry Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    duplicate
  • diamonddaveperry
    diamonddaveperry Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with much that has been said. I'm a long-time runner.

1) You ran too far. Go for time, not distance. 30 minutes at the pace below is plenty.
    2) Slow down. You should just be at the point where it's hard to carry on a conversation.
    3) You have to be hydrated.
    4) Check with your doctor before you take up an intense cardio sport like running if you have asthma.
    5) "Major nausea, headache, dizziness, inability to breathe... it even felt like my chest was seizing up." That sounds at least partially heat-related. What time of day did you run? Don't run from noon until dark. It's coolest in the morning and then after the sun goes down (but be safe in the dark--run on a lighted path or high school track with other people around).

This is not completely health-related, but get some new, well-fitting, name brand running shoes, new socks, a lightweight baseball cap (to keep the sun out of your eyes) and some dri-fit style running shorts and shirts. They'll keep you comfortable and cool, and less prone to injuries.

Also, running out in the real world is very different from using a machine. The little corrections you make to adjust to bumps, dips, curbs, etc., use all kinds of muscle to maintain balance that machines can't replicate.
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If you have outdoor allergies in addition to asthma, running outside is going to exacerbate that as well. So be sure that you take something to keep those under control, and run with your inhaler close at hand!
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    First off, 3 miles for your first try is awesome. Most beginners take a good 10 weeks to be able to run that far without stopping. So you're in great shape, grats!

Right now you need to decide what you want to pursue in terms of running. Do you want to take those 3 miles and learn to run it faster or do you build up to 4 miles, or 10, or 20?

For long distance running, you need to slow down and find your aerobic pace (as mentioned above). Build a solid base and work your way up. If you want to run 3 miles really fast, you want to look up "speedwork". But please look up your goals; you were working way too hard for someone who decided to just go out for a run.

For now, celebrate: you did well! :drinker:
  • ReannaKnotts
    ReannaKnotts Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to run at night. It was my anti-depressant. When I first started I would stretch my legs a bit first, then (just like any exercise) I would start off with a walk to warm up and move to a brisk walk, jog, and then run. My first week of that I could only go about 20 minutes, but within 3 months I would be out there for 2 hours sometimes. My advice is to start off with a walk and slowly increase your speed. Don't worry about distance so much as length of time. Always make sure you hydrate and for your asthma I suggest using your inhaler about 2-5 minutes before starting so that it's in your system and have it on you incase you need it during your run. This is what my sister did before PE when she was in high school and cheerleading. If you are going to run everyday, expect your third day to be the worst, but once you get past that, you will notice it getting easier every day. Eventually your body will crave it and you won't have to force yourself to run, you will want to and during your run your body will automatically kick up a notch when it needs to.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've been running for three months and can only now do 3 miles. I'd say you're doing pretty well.
  • xmarykaterose
    xmarykaterose Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    First off, 3 miles for your first try is awesome. Most beginners take a good 10 weeks to be able to run that far without stopping. So you're in great shape, grats!

Right now you need to decide what you want to pursue in terms of running. Do you want to take those 3 miles and learn to run it faster or do you build up to 4 miles, or 10, or 20?

For long distance running, you need to slow down and find your aerobic pace (as mentioned above). Build a solid base and work your way up. If you want to run 3 miles really fast, you want to look up "speedwork". But please look up your goals; you were working way too hard for someone who decided to just go out for a run.

For now, celebrate: you did well! :drinker:

Thanks! It was actually more of a combination of running and walking haha. But thank you! I had no idea how much less I should've pushed myself...
  • xmarykaterose
    Options
    I agree with much that has been said. I'm a long-time runner.

1) You ran too far. Go for time, not distance. 30 minutes at the pace below is plenty.
    2) Slow down. You should just be at the point where it's hard to carry on a conversation.
    3) You have to be hydrated.
    4) Check with your doctor before you take up an intense cardio sport like running if you have asthma.
    5) "Major nausea, headache, dizziness, inability to breathe... it even felt like my chest was seizing up." That sounds at least partially heat-related. What time of day did you run? Don't run from noon until dark. It's coolest in the morning and then after the sun goes down (but be safe in the dark--run on a lighted path or high school track with other people around).

This is not completely health-related, but get some new, well-fitting, name brand running shoes, new socks, a lightweight baseball cap (to keep the sun out of your eyes) and some dri-fit style running shorts and shirts. They'll keep you comfortable and cool, and less prone to injuries.

Also, running out in the real world is very different from using a machine. The little corrections you make to adjust to bumps, dips, curbs, etc., use all kinds of muscle to maintain balance that machines can't replicate.

thanks for your advice!! I agree completely. I'm a huge perfectionist and tend to push myself really hard. It was really hot out actually, and heat combined with dehydration was probably a pretty bad recipe for disaster.

But my question is - where should I start? 1 mile? 2 miles? How have you guys started running as beginners?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    slow down!
  • edfred145
    edfred145 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You might try a couch to 5k app. I like the one from run double. It's interval based training so your body can acclimate to running. Also, I find running outside to be very different than a machine so it's not a great comparison. I prefer running outside because I can adjust my pace according to how I feel, not based on numbers I think are good.

Of course that goes back to slowing down. And of course you have to be hydrated! I aim for at least 1/2 my weight in ounces of water more on days that I run. So if you weigh 135 you want to drink at least 68 oz of water daily with a boost on days that you're sweating it out.
  • ercraw
    ercraw Posts: 3
    Options
    First off...Godd for you for taking that first step!

I agree with good advice already given as when I got back to running it sucked and it hurt.

A good friend gave me two pieces of good advice, hydrate! I drink almost three liters of water a day. Six months ago I drank a glass of water every few weeks and that is no exaggeration. Grab a one liter bottle from the store and set that as your goal for a few weeks. When it empties, refill it out of the tap...honestly, there really is nothing wrong with tap water... after a few weeks you will find that you are drinking more than just that one liter of water each day. My bottles last me a week or so then I toss or bleach them and start over.

The second piece of advice he gave me, do a mental check of yourself when you are running. Most of it is going to be mental in the form of "this sucks, this sucks, this sucks." If it is just you thinking it sucks and you have a small annoying ache in your kidneys (lack of water, too much sodium and not enough exercise), this isn't life threatening of a bad injury about to happen. Some things you can push through and there are those that you cannot. You know your body and what you can or cannot push through.

My personal advice...Get back on the road and run a mile. In two weeks push yourself to 1.25 and the following weeks add a quarter of a mile until you are running at least 30 minutes. To help build endurance in your legs and lungs, look into interval runs, Sprint as fast as you can for 30 seconds and walk for 60 seconds. After a few weeks 45/90 a few more 60/120. Do this once or twice a week as well as the increasing distance / timed run.

I may be crazy, but this is what the Army has taught me and thousands of other soldiers and it has worked well for me for over a decade. I run eight minute miles when I want to and I smoke a pack of cigarettes a day (I know I know). Oh and those eight minute miles, I am 41 years old.

Good luck to you
  • xmarykaterose
    Options
    You might try a couch to 5k app. I like the one from run double. It's interval based training so your body can acclimate to running. Also, I find running outside to be very different than a machine so it's not a great comparison. I prefer running outside because I can adjust my pace according to how I feel, not based on numbers I think are good.

Of course that goes back to slowing down. And of course you have to be hydrated! I aim for at least 1/2 my weight in ounces of water more on days that I run. So if you weigh 135 you want to drink at least 68 oz of water daily with a boost on days that you're sweating it out.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try couch to 5k. Was definitely pushing myself too hard haha. Will running ever get easier and just enjoyable though??
  • xmarykaterose
    Options
    First off...Godd for you for taking that first step!

I agree with good advice already given as when I got back to running it sucked and it hurt.

A good friend gave me two pieces of good advice, hydrate! I drink almost three liters of water a day. Six months ago I drank a glass of water every few weeks and that is no exaggeration. Grab a one liter bottle from the store and set that as your goal for a few weeks. When it empties, refill it out of the tap...honestly, there really is nothing wrong with tap water... after a few weeks you will find that you are drinking more than just that one liter of water each day. My bottles last me a week or so then I toss or bleach them and start over.

The second piece of advice he gave me, do a mental check of yourself when you are running. Most of it is going to be mental in the form of "this sucks, this sucks, this sucks." If it is just you thinking it sucks and you have a small annoying ache in your kidneys (lack of water, too much sodium and not enough exercise), this isn't life threatening of a bad injury about to happen. Some things you can push through and there are those that you cannot. You know your body and what you can or cannot push through.

My personal advice...Get back on the road and run a mile. In two weeks push yourself to 1.25 and the following weeks add a quarter of a mile until you are running at least 30 minutes. To help build endurance in your legs and lungs, look into interval runs, Sprint as fast as you can for 30 seconds and walk for 60 seconds. After a few weeks 45/90 a few more 60/120. Do this once or twice a week as well as the increasing distance / timed run.

I may be crazy, but this is what the Army has taught me and thousands of other soldiers and it has worked well for me for over a decade. I run eight minute miles when I want to and I smoke a pack of cigarettes a day (I know I know). Oh and those eight minute miles, I am 41 years old.

Good luck to you

Thanks for the advice!! definitely going to remember this for my next run. Hopefully I can reach 8mi too LOL.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try couch to 5k. Was definitely pushing myself too hard haha. Will running ever get easier and just enjoyable though??

that depends on you or the person running I should say. I love to run but I hate the first mile esp when the first mile is going up hill. I was just mentioning to my running partner last night at mile 4 I asked her don't you just feel like we can run forever. i was feeling so good. she answered no and just wants to make it to the stop light. haha. she doesn't run much anymore but even when she did run a lot, she didn't like doing it. she runs just because she knows it's good for her. so you might not love it as much as i do, but then again you might.
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I did the couch to 5k and that taught me to pace myself, if you want to run a distance of more then 1/2 a mile without dropping, so I would suggest that.

I know when I completed couch to 5k I was so impressed with myself I wanted to do more so then did couch to 10k

DRINK WATER!!!!!!!!!! (seriously so important)

I think once you get used to pacing yourself properly then you will enjoy running, I used to hate running now I run 3 days a week and I am in at least 1 race a month, it's addicting