Flavoring frozen steamed veggies?

Options
How does everyone flavor their veggies? Looking for ideas that don't involve butter

Replies

• jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I usually just put a bit of salt and pepper on them.

You could try some garlic powder or Italian seasoning too.
  • JennyJ2015
    JennyJ2015 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    try mrs.dash theres a lot of flavors out there that dont contain salt :) i swear by that lol
  • lily4520
    lily4520 Posts: 1
    Options
    I usually use a bit of fresh lemon, parsley and italian seasoning. I put them in a plastic bag and add the ingredients and seal the bag and shake it. I also on occasion add a bit of parmesan cheese instead of the lemon :smile:
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I keep those homeowners in CA coughing and angry. I use Siracha!
  • Megais
    Megais Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    cooking them in chicken stock is awesome :)
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Lemon pepper - California style. Has garlic pieces in it.
  • space_pudding
    Options
    Chop some fresh herbs add a touch of olive oil, salt, pepper, a squeeze of lemon and you're good to go. :)
  • ercraw
    ercraw Posts: 3
    Options
    I do not have a favorite frozen vegetable. They are disgusting! All the flavor is killed in the process. Same goes for canned.
    Now this is just my opinion and i am full of them...especially when I have been drinking and thankfully I have not been...yet.

I digress. Buy fres vegetables. You will need to go to the market more often but you will enjoy the flavors more. Now, I don't cook looking at each calorie or fat gram but I am cursed with the inability to gain weight, 6'4" and 175lbs (sometime I get to a scary weight of 185lbs)

My favorite vegetable is anything that I can cook with garlic and butter and salt and pepper and have it taste amazing! And that is most out there. When I cook them, I steam them, never boiling them as it is my understanding (correct me where I am wrong please) that when you boil them, a lot of the goodness is taken from them and either steamed away or sitting in the water in which they were boiled. I steam my vegetables in foil in the oven or on the grill. I do sauté them and I do grill them but not as often.

By using these methods, I am able to keep the unique flavor of the vegetable itself with addition of the salt, pepper, butter and butter.

My favorites vegetables (as a side item and not in the meal) and alternative ways of cooking them
    Asparagus. 1 Marinaded in soy sauce. 2 Olive Oil and lemon pepper seasoning.
    Broccoli 1 hell if I know
    Green Beans 1 hell if I know
    Cauliflower 1 do not cut, put in baking dish, add 2 tbs curry paste and 1 can of coconut mill and cook until tender
    carrots 1 hell if i know but ask my grandmother as i lover hers!!! 2 I have used some brown sugar and butter and that turns out nice.
    Corn on the cobb 1 wrap in foil with butter

There are countless vegetable I cook with. But as a side item, those are my most often go to's.

Sea Salt and the peppercorns from Bed Bath and Beyond is my personal secret.

Believe it or not, my cholesterol is in line as is my blood pressure. Just don't ober use the oil or butter, moderation is king (or queen in Brittan's case).

all the same, get away from frozen and start enjoying your vegetables for a change, your mother would be proud.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Kernel Season's Popcorn Seasoning. The come in a bajillion different flavors, and they're all delicious. Except for the Bacon Cheddar. It tasted like vomit. I do not recommend. I like the Ranch, White Cheddar and Garlic Parmesan flavors best.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find Mrs Dash in the store yesterday. Weird.

Usually I just put some onion powder.
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Parmesan cheese
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic
    0 cal butter spray
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Salt free chicken, beef or veggie broth is my go to steaming trick. Then I sautee, in a tsp of olive oil (summer months I grill everything on the bbq, so no EVOO) with garlic and onion powder and pepper. Works best on fresh produce. I find it hard to lose the "frozen" taste of frozen food, unless you slop it with jarred seasonings, fat and sodium. But having said that, frozen is way more practcal during winter months, and its still great without all the fat, salt and crap on it!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Parmesan cheese
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic
    0 cal butter spray

Does this actually exist?? Seems like an uber oxymoron!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Olivio (50 calories per tablespoon) salt and pepper:flowerforyou:
  • jec285
    Options
    Parmesan cheese
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic
    0 cal butter spray

8N7UX.jpg
  • jec285
    Options
    And yeah I understand it's not butter OR 0 cal, but it's close enough to both.
  • WillowThorn
    WillowThorn Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'll cook it in a skillet with stir-fry sauce. It's delish :-D

Alternatively, add onion or garlic powder (or onion flakes, if you don't feel like cutting an onion), pepper, red pepper flakes (spicy!), italian seasonings, fresh grated parmesan cheese (more flavor than the powder kind), olive oil....things like that :-)

With asparagus I don't add anything. Just steam and eat!

Also, to counteract a previous poster, there is nothing wrong with frozen vegetables...In fact, in many cases they are even *more* fresh than "fresh" vegetables because the nutrients are kept in due to the fact that they haven't been sitting on a truck or store shelf for days on end. They are frozen right away, or at least sooner than the time it takes to get from the farm to you. Fresh vegetables are great, especially if you buy local, but have no fear of frozen veggies! They're just as good, and sometimes better.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I season my veggies with many different flavors of Mrs. Dash (0 cal and no sodium) I have 5 different ones and at this moment the Extra Spicy is my favorite. I use Mrs. Dash for seasoning my meat and salads too.
  • asdowe13
    Options
    Parmesan cheese
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic
    0 cal butter spray

8N7UX.jpg

Who knew....but I would rather butter!
  • asdowe13
    Options
    How does everyone flavor their veggies? Looking for ideas that don't involve butter

May I ask why no butter?

It doesn't take much butter on veggies, especially on the grill with jalapenos, bacon, and parmesan cheese!