Making progress but scale not changing

Options
Hi - so I have been working out (weight training and cardio 2 hours/day) twice a day for about 6 months and have changed my diet to a clean one....but I have hardly seen any change on the scale! It is very frustrating! :noway: I also have seen/felt a difference on my body except for my stomach! Is there anything more I can do to see more results?! It's getting to me, especially in the last few weeks!

Thanks!
Nicole :smile:

Replies

• CarolHudson11
    Options
    Get a tape measure - the scale numbers aren't the ones that you should be looking at. The tape measure numbers are. You're doing fine! If you can see a difference in your tummy, it's an inches difference and I'd take that over a scale difference all day long! :smile:
  • serrinac
    Options
    I'm in the same boat but I have a couple of reasons its happening to me. At first I was not eating enough thus causing my body to store anything I did eat. Nutrition is the #1 factor in losing weight. Then once my dietary was right on target I began to gain muscle while losing body fat. The scale didn't budge and even went up a couple of times but i'm in a size down jeans. Another possible cause is water weight and that can be caused by hormones or nutrition, ie sodium intake.

My weight goal is 120 but I'm currently at 117Lbs lean body mass, a wieght of 120 is no longer an options, but a size 4 is :-)

Recently my trainer has decreased my lifting/strength training weights and increased my reps. This will allow me to keep the muscle I have without gaining more and also increasing my cardio during weight lifting, and of course she increased my time doing cardio each day. I swear the woman is trying to kill me :-)

Just some food for thought. I do recommend a trainer at least once every two months for body comp measurements, maybe even monthly, the body comp results would help keep your spirits up.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Dude....same here. Since September I've been working out and logging (though not completely consistently) and I've lost maybe 3-4 lbs. But my inches have changed and my endurance is better. So I know things are improving but the jelly belly is still hanging in there.

Agree with the other posts: measurements are key. They really help you to see your progress (though the scale is a nice way to also see changes).

Katie
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I worry that this could happen to me. Although I do not work out nearly as much as you do, but since Nov 1, 2010 I have been working out at least 5 days a week if not all 7 and I do mix it up - yoga, strength, cardio. I am almost always under calorie and I eat pretty clean (although not perfect esp the last 2 weeks of December) I do also drink and was drinking fairly often over the holidays. I have 2 more parties this week and then plan to give all alcohol up completely until at least mid-Feb (Valentine's Day!) I have lost about 8 pounds and 2 - 3 inches off waist and hips so it's not like I am not losing anything but I really need to step it up.

I have gone to 2 seminars in the past 2 months by a local naturopath doctor. He talked about Toxicity and how it affects weight. I worry that perhaps that is my problem. I know I messed up my metabolism twice over the past 16 years with a low fat high processed carb diet in 1994-1995 and then in 2004 when we were remodeling and moving I started eating like crap and was under a lot of stress. Since 2004 I have gained about 30 pounds.

Anyways from the seminars some things I can summarize:

Eliminate your exposure to toxins, including shampoos, lotions etc. Seek out locally made organic skincare, Tom's of Maine etc. (they did not mention Burt's Bees but I do use those) I bought some Physician's Organic makeup they recommended you can get at Target etc.
    Supplement with Vitaman D and Folic Acid
    Reduce stress including toxic relationships
    Never eat GMO foods
    eat plants, not food made in plants
    Liver function - can be tested with blood test
    Avoid food allergens - they recommend eating gluten-free
    Exercise has huge benefits in detoxifying, especially interval training
    Foods to eat to detox: beets, brocooli, cilantro, asparagus, green beans, blackberries, blueberries, green tea, oranges, lemons, limes, omega 3 oils, parsley, garlic/onions, legumes.
    eat breakfast
    get sufficient iodine

Other essential nutrients:
    selenium, zinc, copper, iron, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, B2, B3 and B6

He offers a 4 step detox with supplements. He talked a lot about how stuff hangs in the gut and needs to be cleaned out. He did say Milk Thistle is a good health food store supplement that you can use without dr. suppervision.
    I will continue my plan a little longer and if I don't see more results by March I will consider visiting him. I would do it without hesitation if money weren't an issue. His initial consult is $200 plus every visit and supplement, vitamin, drink etc you buy. My mom sees him and spends a few 100 every month but it does help her control her arthritis.

Also avoid:
    negative self talk!
    high fructose corn syrup (produces 5x insulin of sugar)
    hydrogenated oils
    sugar alcohols (yikes I love gum!)
    artifical sweetners (stevia ok)
    food colorings
    preservatives such as BHA & BHT
    hydroyzed veg protein
    MSG
    potassium bromate (in a lot of bread)
    sodium nitrites and nitrates (most bacon and lunch meat)
    sulfites
    anything unpronounceable!

Stay low in glycemic index ie: sugar is 100 blueberries in 30's

Also make sure your water source is pure

I hope this helps. I am going to adapt to this as much as I can.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I agree with the getting measured aspect. The scale hasn't budged much for me, but I've lost inches and have lost several percentages of body fat, according to my personal trainer's assessment. It gives me heart to know that even if the scale doesn't show a change, my body is! Being healthy is more than a number, remember that!:-D

Shannon
  • AbbyLu
    AbbyLu Posts: 29
    Options
    You could be building more muscle than you are loosing fat. Muscle weighs more than fat but it is denser so the measuring tape is a good confirmation of your accomplishments if the scale isn't.

Try cutting back on the working out (at least for a week). Your body may be in shock from the sudden diet change and long workouts. It could have gone into starving mode so it holds on to the fat for emergencies.

No matter what you do, keep up the good work! Even if that scale doesn't move, you are healthier now than you were 6 months ago!
  • bacole1
    Options
    True - I DO need to pull out the ol' measuring tape! I forget to focus on other things because "the scale" is what I associate weight loss results with! Thank you all for your help/tips! Hope everyone is having a good Weds! My next post will be positive....I just know it! :wink:

Nicole :happy: