Struggling to eat 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oops, accidentally quoted myself when trying to fix a typo-o. See below.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Like some others have said, this is probably a problem that will take care of itself, as you'll get bored or start wanting other things. I totally get how one can have trouble meeting 1200 when trying really hard to eat healthy and just eating mostly meat and vegetables. I did it when starting. A little under sometimes I don't think is a big thing, but so under even with 300 cals of ice cream seems extreme and like you really might be short in some important areas and just not eating enough. At that low calories there are places to add for sure. As mentioned above, check your protein and fats--you want to at least meet the protein (MFP's recommendation is low, at least off a woman on 1200 cals) and you don't want you fats too low either, they are important for absorbing nutrients and eventually feeling satiated. (Presumably the ice cream helped there.)

My guess is that you are cutting carbs and maybe cutting normal sources of cooking fats too much. Also, you don't have to just eat the lowest calorie meats available. But what helped me was prelogging at the beginning of a day. Then I could see in advance I was coming in low and adjust before the end of the day when I was tired and not hungry.

Most fruits isn't that low in calories, so you might want to add in more. You might want to add back in some carbs, especially whole grains or the occasional potato (unfairly demonized) or sweet potato, etc. You might want to cook the veggies in some olive oil (and if you are using spray you should probably be logging something--the can has calories). Also, if your protein numbers are low reconsider your serving sizes or add some protein at snacks-- dairy, like yogurt and cottage cheese work well for me, but as I've gotten comfortable with the calories and have extra from exercise I also have added some cheese back to my omelets and so on. If you are using egg whites instead of eggs, rethink, that kind of thing. Seeing the whole day in front of you can be educational.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I always wondered how someone could become overweight or need to lose weight when they have a hard time eating 1,200. Clearly you didn't have that problem once. Add back some of the foods you used to eat. Nuts, peanut butter, avacado, olive oil. Lots of easy small ways to boost your intake.

Becoming overweight is not necessarily related to the amount of food you eat but to the kind of food. There is a difference if you eat a dish of fries, deep-fried chicken, and a salad with a heavy dressing or mayonnaise or if you have a large salad with light dressing and lean chicken breast. Maybe the sense of satiety is the same but the calorie intake differs significantly.

My father is overweight and he doesn't eat that much throughout the day. It's what he eats, not how much of it.

Same with drinks. There is a difference between drinking soft drinks and drinking water or unsweetened tea.

^^^^^^ nope ..... eating at a calorific SURPLUS is why you gain weight....

eating at a DEFICIT will lose weight

eating at your TDEE will maintain your weight ...

You're both saying the same thing. Read it again, butlersoft ;-)

No they aren't she specifically said:
    My father is overweight and he doesn't eat that much throughout the day. It's what he eats, not how much of it.

it's not what he eats it's how much he eats

That's the same thing. WHAT he eats ie. calorie rich foods leading to a calorie surplus, not how much of it.

"There is a difference between drinking soft drinks and drinking water or unsweetened tea." - Yes, a calorific difference.

In her first paragraph: "Maybe the sense of satiety is the same but the calorie intake differs significantly."

Not sure why this is being debated the above poster said "it's not how much he eats it's what he eats" which literally means calories don't matter...

calorie rich food does not always lead to a calorie surplus.

Exactly .... 2000kcals of Cheetos or 2000kcals of Brocolli are the same calories. They will have the same effect as to cause weightloss in a person with a TDEE > 2000, maintain somebody with a 2000 TDEE, and gain weight on somebody with a lower than 2000kcal TDEE.

I know which one I'd prefer for the nutritional benefits though ;-)
  • sabes_178
    sabes_178 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just to give you guys an idea how easy it is to get fat but struggle to eat 1200 calories a day.. this was ONE day before I started trying to lose weight - most day looked pretty similar the food may have changed except breakfast.. .breakfast never changed.

Breakfast
    1 XL Tim hortons double double ( cream and sugar)
    1 Bagel BELT (with bacon, eggs, lettuce, tomato)
    Calories: 790

Lunch
    Big Mac & Fries
    Calories:790

Dinner:
    WokBox Teryaki noodle box
    Calories: 803

So if you do that math that is 2483 calories, there was no exercise and I would look for the closest parking spot to any store I went to.

Now I eat fruits, veggies and decent protein and I have some days where 1200 calories is exhausting because I have eaten correctly. I also exercise now too so there is that.

Before you jump all over someone about "how did you get fat" maybe think.. gee maybe this person turned their whole lifestyle upside down and is now re-learning and may actually really be struggling. Telling someone to eat the way they did before but in moderation does't always help - because some people like myself didn't even know how to cook before they started losing weight.

This, exactly! I used to think nothing of fast food binges, second dinners, etc before. But now that I have switched to a plant-based diet and I eat around 10 servings of produce a day, minimum, it can be hard to get up to 1200 on some days. Fiber is very filling and sometimes its hard to finish a huge plate of veggies because Im just so full, and believe me, I have never had a problem with appetite or not being able to eat!

OP, I agree with the suggestions to add a handful of almonds to your daily diet. 1/4 cup has around 180 calories and its only 20-30 almonds, depending on size. Good luck :)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I always wondered how someone could become overweight or need to lose weight when they have a hard time eating 1,200. Clearly you didn't have that problem once. Add back some of the foods you used to eat. Nuts, peanut butter, avacado, olive oil. Lots of easy small ways to boost your intake.

Becoming overweight is not necessarily related to the amount of food you eat but to the kind of food. There is a difference if you eat a dish of fries, deep-fried chicken, and a salad with a heavy dressing or mayonnaise or if you have a large salad with light dressing and lean chicken breast. Maybe the sense of satiety is the same but the calorie intake differs significantly.

Same with drinks. There is a difference between drinking soft drinks and drinking water or unsweetened tea.

^^^^^^ nope ..... eating at a calorific SURPLUS is why you gain weight....

eating at a DEFICIT will lose weight

eating at your TDEE will maintain your weight ...

You're both saying the same thing. Read it again, butlersoft ;-)

My interpretation too. It's how much you eat of WHAT you eat that determines number of calories. It's very easy to have 200 calories of dressing without feeling much fuller. It's also quite easy to eat a small cookie with more calories than a meal made up of lean meat and vegetables, no added fats. That's why it's so easy for people to go overboard with calorie cutting at first and still feel full.
  • sabes_178
    sabes_178 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Exactly .... 2000kcals of Cheetos or 2000kcals of Brocolli are the same calories. They will have the same effect as to cause weightloss in a person with a TDEE > 2000, maintain somebody with a 2000 TDEE, and gain weight on somebody with a lower than 2000kcal TDEE.

I know which one I'd prefer for the nutritional benefits though ;-)

While the calories are the same, it is entirely possible to eat 2000 calories of cheetos, sometimes without noticing! I cant even fathom 2000 calories of broccoli, lol. I eat an entire bag of frozen florets at times, and its 120 calories, and more filling than the 2000 cals of cheetos :)
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    It is important I think to eat sufficient food - the people who seem to run out of steam on mfp the quickest are those who are not eating enough nutrients - you will get tired quicker, even though you may not feel hungry. Healthy eating is not just about staving off hunger!
    A small handful of mixed seeds and nuts are delicious on your salad and can add calories in a nutrient dense way - increasing the size of your protein portion, adding a variety of protein (don't just rely on grilled chicken) can up your calories in a healthy way. I can understand if you don't want to go down the chocolate/ice cream route as, for some people, it may be a bit like taking your finger out of the Dam - just add small amounts of really nutritious foods which are a higher calorie, nuts, seeds, avocado, extra meat, bit of cheese etc.
    Bananas can boost your cals too - I no longer eat them routinely as I can eat 4 or 5 a day no problem - 100 cals per pop would soon put me over - added to breakfast or smoothies - yum! :wink:

Also make sure you are accurately logging all of your drinks - they can add up without being noticed.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ignoring the idea that somebody with at least 70 lbs to lose suddenly "can't" eat 1200 calories...

You're making this way too complicated. You said you don't feel tired, you're getting in fruit and veg, eating "normal" portions, feeling fine.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If your body needs more, and you run into symptoms of undernourishment, like fatigue, mood swings, overall malaise, trust me, you'll have no problem eating more.

To address this.. why would you wait until you are broken when you can easily maintain your system without ever getting those issues... no different than doing oil changes regularly. IDK about you, but I much rather be proactive towards my health than reactive. Additionally, when you create large deficits, you increase the chances of muscle loss because of inadequate nutrients. Less muscle = slower metabolic rate = lower TDEE = harder to maintain. Why not be proactive and help maintain your metabolic functions, with the understand that your TDEE and BMR will naturally lower as you lose weight, but increase the effects isn't something you should aim for.

OP, you just need to eat smarter... aka, eat more calorie dense foods. Instead of lean cuts of meat, go with red meats or higher fat cuts, add cheese to things or avocado. You can also drink some calories... more specifically, higher calorie protein shakes. Or you can get some high protein high calorie protein bars.

BTW, if you want to look at my diet, i struggle to eat under 2500 calories a day. I just can't wait to hit maintenance becuase 3000-3200 total should be much better that what I deal with now.
  • MelissaFL79
    MelissaFL79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake is supposed to be about 1570 and I find I have a hard time eating 1200 calories too, EXCEPT for the days I exercise (right now I only walk 2 miles every other morning). I keep little peanut butter to-go cups at my desk and pretzels sticks (5) for those days that I just don't seem hungry enough to eat. :-\
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain an extra 70 lbs by not being able to eat 1200 calories.

Eat real food. Not low fat/no fat/low cal/diet foods.

Have a spoon of peanut butter.

Eat some almonds.

Add real dressing to your salad.

Eat meat.

It's not hard.

ETA: Typo
    ^what she said!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, you honestly don't *have* to eat all 1200 calories. Honestly, the "magical 1200" number is not at all applicable to all people and it doesn't make sense to assume everyone will be sick if they go under 1200. Nothing happens unless you are consistently malnourished, which if you are eating healthily, you won't be. As long as you get all your vitamins and minerals in, not making it all the way to 1200 doesn't matter. Netting lower than 1200 is fine too if you're not hungry. Just make sure you get enough protein so you don't lose muscle mass.

ignore this.

Totally agree^

Wow - this is scary advice. 1200 is not "magical" it's just a lowest number DEFUALT minimum. I agree 1200 is not applicable because BMR would make more sense.

What some people seem to forget.....our bodies are using calories 24/7....heart, lungs, kidneys (important stuff). A multivitamin is not going to help here. Muscle mass will be used as fuel as well as fat.
  • 29_adjacent
    29_adjacent Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has given some great advice/tips.

I will definitely try adding nuts to my diet (love them!) and increasing my protein intake. I will also stop using low fat dairy products. I think maybe I've been overly cautious and have been making sure to stick to mostly low fat versions of things and lean cuts of meat. Will add some more red meats to my diet too (yum lamb chops!).

I think one of my biggest downfalls is breakfast - I usually only eat a low fat yoghurt and whilst I don't really feel hungry until just before lunch (when I usually have some fruit as a snack) I am only eating around 90 cals and then not making up for it during the day. I think I just need to make time for some higher calorie, protein-rich breakfasts.

Personally I don't want to go down the route of just eating smaller portions of the "bad" things I used to eat too much of just to make up the calories each day. So I think calorie-dense healthier snacks like nuts are the way to go (with the occasional bowl of ice cream).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has given some great advice/tips.

I will definitely try adding nuts to my diet (love them!) and increasing my protein intake. I will also stop using low fat dairy products. I think maybe I've been overly cautious and have been making sure to stick to mostly low fat versions of things and lean cuts of meat. Will add some more red meats to my diet too (yum lamb chops!).

I think one of my biggest downfalls is breakfast - I usually only eat a low fat yoghurt and whilst I don't really feel hungry until just before lunch (when I usually have some fruit as a snack) I am only eating around 90 cals and then not making up for it during the day. I think I just need to make time for some higher calorie, protein-rich breakfasts.

Personally I don't want to go down the route of just eating smaller portions of the "bad" things I used to eat too much of just to make up the calories each day. So I think calorie-dense healthier snacks like nuts are the way to go (with the occasional bowl of ice cream).

Re: breakfast. Greek yogurt is high in protein. Buy the 2% and add a small sprinkle of cereal (Grapenuts...yum) or slivered almonds. Nice and crunchy.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options

Eat some almonds.

Eat meat.

It's not hard.

ETA: Typo
    ^what she said!
    I eat pretty low fat (lean meats, low fat dairy) and I reach my calorie goal. I do have 2 protein shakes/day, at least till I get to goal, then I will probably slowly phase them out, I really do like them though, they are good. The main reason for that is because I want to keep my muscle so I make sure to get enough protein.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Ignoring the idea that somebody with at least 70 lbs to lose suddenly "can't" eat 1200 calories...

You're making this way too complicated. You said you don't feel tired, you're getting in fruit and veg, eating "normal" portions, feeling fine.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If your body needs more, and you run into symptoms of undernourishment, like fatigue, mood swings, overall malaise, trust me, you'll have no problem eating more.

To address this.. why would you wait until you are broken when you can easily maintain your system without ever getting those issues... no different than doing oil changes regularly. IDK about you, but I much rather be proactive towards my health than reactive. Additionally, when you create large deficits, you increase the chances of muscle loss because of inadequate nutrients. Less muscle = slower metabolic rate = lower TDEE = harder to maintain. Why not be proactive and help maintain your metabolic functions, with the understand that your TDEE and BMR will naturally lower as you lose weight, but increase the effects isn't something you should aim for.

OP, you just need to eat smarter... aka, eat more calorie dense foods. Instead of lean cuts of meat, go with red meats or higher fat cuts, add cheese to things or avocado. You can also drink some calories... more specifically, higher calorie protein shakes. Or you can get some high protein high calorie protein bars.

BTW, if you want to look at my diet, i struggle to eat under 2500 calories a day. I just can't wait to hit maintenance becuase 3000-3200 total should be much better that what I deal with now.

Sorry, nope, no, don't agree whatsoever.

You have no idea, nor do I, what issues she might potentially run into. What we do know now is that she's losing and feeling good. Preemptively telling somebody to just eat more, you know, just because, isn't sound advice. For all we know one of the reasons you she is satiated at her current caloric level is that she's actually consuming more calories than she's logging, and upping the calorie dense foods could lead her into a stall.

Saying to somebody "eat more, because you might one day need to eat more" just isn't sound advice IMO.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Sorry, nope, no, don't agree whatsoever.

You have no idea, nor do I, what issues she might potentially run into. What we do know now is that she's losing and feeling good. Preemptively telling somebody to just eat more, you know, just because, isn't sound advice. For all we know one of the reasons you she is satiated at her current caloric level is that she's actually consuming more calories than she's logging, and upping the calorie dense foods could lead her into a stall.

Saying to somebody "eat more, because you might one day need to eat more" just isn't sound advice IMO.

Assuming she is logging correctly, you think it's cool to eat 800-1000 calories a day? Because short of having a metabolic issue, i don't believe that's sound advice.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Eat some almonds.

Eat meat.

It's not hard.

THIS.
    I cannot understand for the life of me why this thread gets posted 20 times a day every.darn.day.
  • BJBroxton
    BJBroxton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If eating 1200 is so hard...how did you get overweight in the first place? Eat more of the stuff you ate before, just in smaller portions, and you'll bump up your intake very easily.

This.

Those "all the wrong things" are food. Eat them, just not in the quantities that you did before.

ETA: Unless you had Pica, in which case, don't eat glass, clay, paper, etc. Those are not food.
    Well not sure about the OP but eating some of the things as before, may trigger the unhealthy habits back. I like the OP have a hard time eating up to my calorie count. But I am not going to stuff "fried chicken" back down my throat or the candy bars. (If eating 1200 is so hard...how did you get overweight in the first place?) Could you have been more rude in the response? There are better ways to get the calories and better ways to respond. The comment above is like telling an alcoholic to go back to the bar because he/she is bored.
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way OP. I'm also scared that if I eat more, like adding the peanut butter etc, I will go off the rails and end the day at 2000 calories. So what happens is I get to 7PM and I have too many calories left. I'm working on it, but at this point it is less about hunger and mostly about my fears. I need to figure it out.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm currently on 1230 calories a day in order to lose about 2lb per week but I quite often struggle to eat that much.

I am VERY accurate with my logging, I get my 5 portions of fruit/veg a day and 2 litres of water most days. I eat my three main meals + snacks but I often fall under my 1230 calorie goal and I don't feel hungry for it!

For example, today I ate a total of 1019 calories and this included having a bowl of ice cream after my dinner!

On top of missing this 1230 target, some days I am even more out because I exercise and don't eat the calories back. Today my NET was only 891 once you factor in exercise as well, yesterday it was 857.

As I said I don't feel hungry or particularly tired but everything I've ever read says that netting less than 1200 calories is bad for you!

Is this something I should be concerned about in the long run? Should I try to make myself eat more or increase the calories of my meals? My dinner yesterday was only 168 calories but I still felt full!

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated, thanks!
    how did you get to be 70 lb overweight?