Help a bride to be!

Options
KatWood
KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
Hi Everyone,

I am getting married in about a month and I'm looking for some advice from some fellow MFP people. I went to my bridal shower last weekend and while there I tried on my dress. I was horrified to find that it is a little tight. Now it did loosen a bit, after a while, and I had just eaten like 5 plates of food. Also it did fit a week before. However, knowing all this I can't help but be a little nervous about how it will fit in a month from now. I have been eating pretty healthy and I work out regularly so I should be fine but I still worry. So my question is this, do you know of any quick ways to lean down a little? Maybe shed some water weight a day or two before the wedding? Or even ways to avoid bloating? Perhaps there is something I can take or foods to avoid? I am not looking for a long term solution. I am all about losing weight the right way and I am proud to say I have lost 75lbs to date. I am just looking for a temporary solution I can keep in my back pocket in case I need it for the wedding. Is that so wrong ?:smile:

Also, I am wondering if anyone has any other wedding advice whether it be good ways to reduce stress (I am starting to find it hard to sleep or relax in general), advice on skin care (I have oily but sensitive skin and I am worried about breaking out), advice on make up, or really just anything else that might be useful for a bride to be.

Thanks!:happy:

Replies

• KatWood
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am getting married in about a month and I'm looking for some advice from some fellow MFP people. I went to my bridal shower last weekend and while there I tried on my dress. I was horrified to find that it is a little tight. Now it did loosen a bit, after a while, and I had just eaten like 5 plates of food. Also it did fit a week before. However, knowing all this I can't help but be a little nervous about how it will fit in a month from now. I have been eating pretty healthy and I work out regularly so I should be fine but I still worry. So my question is this, do you know of any quick ways to lean down a little? Maybe shed some water weight a day or two before the wedding? Or even ways to avoid bloating? Perhaps there is something I can take or foods to avoid? I am not looking for a long term solution. I am all about losing weight the right way and I am proud to say I have lost 75lbs to date. I am just looking for a temporary solution I can keep in my back pocket in case I need it for the wedding. Is that so wrong ?:smile:

Also, I am wondering if anyone has any other wedding advice whether it be good ways to reduce stress (I am starting to find it hard to sleep or relax in general), advice on skin care (I have oily but sensitive skin and I am worried about breaking out), advice on make up, or really just anything else that might be useful for a bride to be.

Thanks!:happy:
  • KatWood
    Options
    Oh yeah, and that's not me in the pic (I wish!). That is how I plan to do my hair for the wedding!
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that you have some water weight causing you to "bloat" a little. Eating tons of sodium can do this too. Drinking plenty of fluids, mostly water, should help flush it out. Everybody is differen't tho.

Congrats on the weight loss! :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can not share how happy I am with running! No seriously...I have NEVER been a runner. I describe myself as a undulating Saint Bernard when I run...No kidding...But I started with huffing and puffing just a few months ago barely able to get down the driveway, to now running over a mile!!!

The inches have melted off...SERIOUSLY!!! Give it a try. Look awful starting out, but keep your eye on the goal, and if it doesn't work...Well...It WILL work! You can do it girlie! Lean long muscles. You will be so happy!

Hokay...that's my running plug! If you can also do other activities to keep your different muscles moving, that would be so great too! You can do it! :drinker:
  • johmapri
    johmapri Posts: 24
    Options
    I renewed my vows after 10 years this past July and did the following and it worked.

Jillian Michaels recipe for losing 5 pounds in 7 days...

Get 60 ounces of distilled or pure water...
    Add a tablespoon of sugar free cranberry juice...
    Add 1 dandelion root tea bag and...
    Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.

This recipe works because it helps flush out excess water weight you have carrying around in your body and... You could lose more than 5 pounds in 7 days depending on how much excess water weight you're carrying around.

http://www.nowloss.com/jillian-michaels-lose-5-pounds-in-7-days-diet-drink.htm

Good Luck, Liz.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the weightloss thing because it does sound like your doing excellent with 75 pounds gone and it doesn't sound like your coming here with a month to go expecting to lose 20 pounds. I'd say continue eating healthy and drink lots of water and watch your salt intake since bloating may be the culprit to your dress being snug.

My friend is getting married in two months and she said the sleeplessness has set in as well....I think it just comes with the territory. As far as make-up tips, I am not sure what you use but I swear by mineral make-up. As a teen I had really bad acne and even well into my 20's I would break out fairly regularily. I just saw a picture of myself a couple years ago and was shocked at how much I still broke out. I've been using Everyday Minerals for about 5 months now and I LOVE it. Even when I sleep in my make up more than I intend, my face is virtually break out free. On the rare occasion that I do get a zit, they seem so much smaller and not as noticeable and are gone within a couple days. I can't even explain how much I love this make up, it makes your face so flawless and it feels better than regular make-up all caked on.

Good luck and congrats on your wedding!
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I renewed my vows after 10 years this past July and did the following and it worked.

This recipe works because it helps flush out excess water weight you have carrying around in your body and... You could lose more than 5 pounds in 7 days depending on how much excess water weight you're carrying around.

Good Luck, Liz.

How did this taste??? Is it something you had to get use to?
  • KatWood
    Options
    RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can not share how happy I am with running! No seriously...I have NEVER been a runner. I describe myself as a undulating Saint Bernard when I run...No kidding...But I started with huffing and puffing just a few months ago barely able to get down the driveway, to now running over a mile!!!

The inches have melted off...SERIOUSLY!!! Give it a try. Look awful starting out, but keep your eye on the goal, and if it doesn't work...Well...It WILL work! You can do it girlie! Lean long muscles. You will be so happy!

Hokay...that's my running plug! If you can also do other activities to keep your different muscles moving, that would be so great too! You can do it! :drinker:

Funny you suggested this. A few days ago I tried running on the treadmill for the first time in years. Even when I was younger and lighter I hated running because my chest would bounce so much some times it would hit me in the chin :laugh:

Anyways, since losing weight I have lost a lot off my chest so I figured I'd give running another shot. Guess what? All I could feel was my bum bouncing up and down! I'm still going to keep trying it though. Hopefully it will get easier with time and I guess as I get smaller there will be less bum to bounce around.
  • KatWood
    Options

Good Luck, Liz.

This sounds interesting. Where can I find dandelion root tea bags? At the local grocery store?
  • johmapri
    Options

Good Luck, Liz.

How did this taste??? Is it something you had to get use to?

I thought that it would taste bad, but I was pleasantly surprised. I think its because you are only using 1 dandelion root tea bag with 60oz of water, so it is so diluted you don't really taste the tea itself, which by the way, I tried a cup of the tea and it tasted like a bag of frito lays... :laugh:
  • KatWood
    Options
    I'm not sure about the weightloss thing because it does sound like your doing excellent with 75 pounds gone and it doesn't sound like your coming here with a month to go expecting to lose 20 pounds. I'd say continue eating healthy and drink lots of water and watch your salt intake since bloating may be the culprit to your dress being snug.

My friend is getting married in two months and she said the sleeplessness has set in as well....I think it just comes with the territory. As far as make-up tips, I am not sure what you use but I swear by mineral make-up. As a teen I had really bad acne and even well into my 20's I would break out fairly regularily. I just saw a picture of myself a couple years ago and was shocked at how much I still broke out. I've been using Everyday Minerals for about 5 months now and I LOVE it. Even when I sleep in my make up more than I intend, my face is virtually break out free. On the rare occasion that I do get a zit, they seem so much smaller and not as noticeable and are gone within a couple days. I can't even explain how much I love this make up, it makes your face so flawless and it feels better than regular make-up all caked on.

Good luck and congrats on your wedding!

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try to find that make up!
  • johmapri
    Options

Good Luck, Liz.

This sounds interesting. Where can I find dandelion root tea bags? At the local grocery store?

I was only able to find them at the local health food store. It was about $9.00 for a box of 30.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I second the running suggestion. Since I started the inches have been coming off and the pounds too. Now granted, I can't run worth crap but i'm trying and eventually I'll get there. :laugh:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    For make-up I would use Bare Essentuals it's mineral make-up but an awesome brand. I swear by it. YOu can get it at Sephora, a Bare Essentuals store or on QVC.com

Congrats on your coming wedding. This only happens once so try to enjoy it and not stress. It's suppose to be fun:drinker:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Do shots of Apple Cider Vinegar to help with the bloating. It's nasty, but it works. :tongue:

Remember, it's supposed to be a fun day so don't sweat the small stuff. :smile:

Congrats! :flowerforyou:
  • KatWood
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great advice!
  • angelajiniel
    Options
    I've found that running has helped me too, but for a quick fix, I don't know. Running is also a great stress reliever and forces you to take time away from everything else and just focus on you for a while. That's important. Another way to handle the stress is stay as organized as possible and make sure you get enough sleep leading up to the big day!

Some general advice though, is just have fun. Don't starve yourself leading up to or the day of b/c you'll feel terrible. Eat healthy food in small meals. Drink plenty of water, especially if it will be warm still, and consequently try to put the dress on at the very last possible moment unless it's an easy-access dress :happy:

As for makeup, don't overdo it. You don't want to look back on your wedding photos and not recognize yourself. Just take what you normally do up one notch. You want to look nice, but still like you! Sleep and water will also help your skin!

Just remember that in the end, the little things don't always matter. Remember the good things and that if you get married on that day, you've achieved the goal. The rest is just fluff!

That said, I hope your day is as magical as you plan!:flowerforyou: