Healthy foods or eating clean for weight loss

Options
13»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    ok but OT,

eating clean helps people lose weight because clean food takes up more volume in a stomach with fewer calories, so you get full without having to eat as many calories.

simple as that.

THISSSS!

Not necessarily. Nuts and avocado are clean foods, yet very small and high calorie.

Since they contain fiber and fat they can be very satiating, but in terms of volume per calorie they fall pretty short.

Which is why I'm never buying the individual bags of Costco nuts again. I can measure out a reasonable portion - but it's hard to eat half a bag and they are portioned at 300 calories a bag.
  • fauxpunker
    fauxpunker Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Personally, I will either buy the single serving packets of nuts or I will weigh them out and put them in individual snack baggies. I could easily down a pound or so of mixed nuts without batting an eye.

Right there with you. I've only recently learned that I like pistachios and use them to hit myself with a double whammy: individual snack baggies AND having to remove the shells. Otherwise I might as well just start investing in Planters'.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Personally, I will either buy the single serving packets of nuts or I will weigh them out and put them in individual snack baggies. I could easily down a pound or so of mixed nuts without batting an eye.

Right there with you. I've only recently learned that I like pistachios and use them to hit myself with a double whammy: individual snack baggies AND having to remove the shells. Otherwise I might as well just start investing in Planters'.

Before MFP, I would keep a one pound container in my desk drawer and just mindlessly munch away.
  • KettyLoyd
    KettyLoyd Posts: 51
    Options
    To lose weight you need to eat less calories than you burn. For weight loss there is no perfect food, selection of food is very much important when you are on a diet. Below are some of the foods which helps in weight loss when you consume those.
    Green, leafy vegetables are full of nutrients and low in calories.
    Root vegetables like carrots, potatoes are high in fiber.
    Pulses, Cereals are also rich in fiber.
    Low-fat milk helps to burn fat more easily.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I like to eat food that ends up looking big on the plate? salads, veggies, fluffy whole grains like quinoa or wheat berries. Also stuff with fiber seems to keep me full. I usually eat pretty "clean" but I was going to restaurants a lot, too much butter, fat, salt etc.

Dietician suggested I try for more fiber and lean proteins together at meals and I think it's working for me. I have been slowly losing weight but faster losing inches.

So for breakfast I usually eat ezekiel bread (it's made from spelt and sprouted rye) and hardboiled eggs, maybe some salad too.
    Lunch I do like quinoa with veggies and maybe some salmon or tofu. Soups and stews are good.

I snack A LOT on like string cheese, yogurt, carrots, hummus, small salads, sliced veggies, apples, peanut butter, piece of chicken. Whatever. I eat all day pretty much. I also don't keep my dairy fat free or even mostly low fat. Especially yogurt--I eat full fat but in small portions (4 oz).

Dinner depends on my calorie deficit and what is in the fridge tbh--I eat something more caloric if I have calories to burn from exercise or whatever.

I still go to restaurants 1 or 2 x a week but I've been experimenting with eating a hearty snack beforehand so I am not overeating when I am there. Still working on this for myself.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What are some of the healthiest foods to eat that will contribute to weight loss? What is the big deal with eating clean? What is considered clean food? Will eating clean help with weight loss?

All foods are clean, unless you are Jewish or Muslim, in which case, your religion dictates that certain foods are not clean.