Breakfast

Options
What is everyone's take on breakfast? How important is breakfast every morning? Who eats breakfast regularly?

Replies

• SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal with dired fruit and toast. Always coffee first. Pretty much keeps me going until lunch. I eat breakfast everyday.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Everyday without fail. Objective for me is something with protein. Often left over dinner. This am egg / veggies / meat cooked in cupcake cases - grabbed two of them before heading to the gym. After my shake / apple / coffee.

On a bad / lazy morning - all bran.

If I don't have any or just fruit I tend to cave and have a scone in work :(
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's no definitive answer, it varies from person to person.

Somepeople can skip breakfatst, even work out in a fasted state, and find that they do well.

Some people find they skip breakfast, but then get hungry mid-morning and reach for a sugary snack.

Some people find that eating breakfast wakes up their hunger monster, and do better when they delay eating (but have something healthy planned)

Some people find that cereal or oatmeal satisfies them all morning, others find that protein like eggs work better.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I never skip it. I always have oats & a banana.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    From a health standpoint, there really isn't anything scientific that definitively says you NEED to eat breakfast.

So, it becomes preferential. I typically don't eat breakfast - just coffee. Sometimes I do. Just depends on how hungry I feel in the mornings. For what its worth I also eat about 500-1000 calories right before bed, too. I hear that is taboo in the world of dieting myths, too. I like to live on the edge!
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge breakfast fan & if I really don't want breakfast, then I would not waste the calories forcing myself to have a meal that makes me feel slightly nauseous to eat.

Having said that, lately I have got used to having porridge oats with dried fruit, made with unsweetened almond milk - its delicious. If I don't feel like it before I go to work, I take it with me & eat it mid morning.

I think in terms of fueling your body for the day ahead, breakfast is good, but like I said I prefer to listen to my body. If i'm hungry I eat, if I'm not then don't.

I don't believe it makes any difference to weight loss. I don't think it matters what you eat or when you eat it - as long as you have an adequate calorie deficit, you should loose weight.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    some days I have a BIG breakfast, this is usually when I have more tie to make it. I love making protein pancakes, or eating eggs with a cinnamon bagel and almond butter.

Most days I make a quick omelette with veggies or a protein shake... and Coffee. THAT is the essential part!
  • Irishb118
    Irishb118 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I never skip it. I always have oats & a banana.

I just want to say "wow!!!" GREAT job on the weight loss and healthy living you are doing!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I never skip breakfast. I eat pretty much the same thing every morning (well, weekdays anyway) - a bowl of oatmeal with almond milk, brown sugar, PB2, and cinnamon. It's like a big gooey peanut butter oatmeal cookie. YUM! I don't know how people skip any meal, including breakfast. I enjoy eating and, damnit, I'm going to eat.

You don't HAVE to eat breakfast in order to lose weight as long as you're not overeating later in the day because you're so hungry. Some people don't get hungry until lunch time, and that's fine, but I don't think it's a good idea to not eat in the mornings if you are hungry just so you can eat more later in the day. That's just going to lead to a binge.

So, if you're hungry, eat, if you're not, don't. Just be honest with yourself and don't skip meals because you think it'll help you lose weight.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I used to eat breakfast normally, but I find that sets me up for hunger for the rest of the day. I just keep on doing the mindless munching at my desk at work and always think of what I will be eating at the next meal.

I stopped having breakfast and problem solved. I eat when I truly feel hunger and then go from there for the rest of the day.

On weekends though, especially Sunday, I will have breakfast with my family. But work week, nope.
  • Kamirose9047
    Options
    I have to eat the lunch my school provides and it tends to be up there in calories. Today I decided to skip breakfast and see if I'm ravenous by lunch, and I wasn't. So I'm probably gonna start passing on breakfast from now on to give me more calories to work with in the evening.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast... like every day
  • MRITechheg
    MRITechheg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    MOST IMPORTANT MEAL OF THE DAY, SETS THE PACE FOR EATING HABITS THROUGHOUT THE DAY AND KEEPS METABOLISM MOVING, EAT BREAKFAST! :)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I usually have whole oats prepared with water and add fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries, 1/2 banana, cranberries, peaches,cherries, whatever is in my freezer at the moment) and maybe some walnuts. Sometimes I add a dot of jam or a fake sugar packet instead of brown sugar (I try to stay away from fake sugar normally).

I like breakfast. I don't skip meals. My meals are usually super healthy, but that bread is a killler.

Oh and IREED89, that oatmeal you make sounds banging!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I have coffee for breakfast. I have iced coffee with milk for lunch. Meal timing is pretty irrelevant and should depend on personal preference.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am not big on breakfast. It depends on the day, though. On days when I have to be at school early, I will skip breakfast and head straight for the coffee in the teachers' lounge. On days when I have to be at school later, I will have a late breakfast of eggs and bacon or something and then skip lunch.

I don't believe that b whole "breakfast is the most important meal" crap. I lost so much weight while I never had breakfast. So there. I'd rather eat when I am hungry than when I am "supposed" to.
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    MOST IMPORTANT MEAL OF THE DAY, SETS THE PACE FOR EATING HABITS THROUGHOUT THE DAY AND KEEPS METABOLISM MOVING, EAT BREAKFAST! :)

The first two points are opinion, and the last is false. If you find eating breakfast works for you though more power to you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    What is everyone's take on breakfast? How important is breakfast every morning? Who eats breakfast regularly?
    It's a preference. One doesn't HAVE to eat breakfast in the morning. It's NOT the most important meal of the day since every meal you consume counts towards calorie intake and supplement of nutrients. I have breakfast on rare occasions, but consistently skip it every morning and train fasted.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dejareedubose
    dejareedubose Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    love breakfast when i can get it i usually get oatmeal but sometimes switch it up
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Metabolism is always "moving" regardless if one eats breakfast or not. In fact metabolism increases once one gets out of bed. If one had a "dead" metabolism, they'd truly be dead. The whole "breakfast jumpstarts metabolism" is an old myth that was created by the diet and fitness industry eons ago and doesn't seem to go away.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition