Muscles + 100lb Weight Loss

Options
I'd love to know if it's possible to make gains in muscle while trying to lose 100+ lbs? If anyone has done this can you post some progress pics? :) much appreciated!

Replies

• dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible. Here is a before picture, I am 5'4", 236lbs in this picture.
    Slide4_zps6f615c5a.jpg

This is after about a 90lb loss and lifting.
    photo4_zps4c033e08.jpg
    photo2_zps15a702cb.jpg

I still have another 15-20lbs to go and am hoping to lower my body fat percentage and tighten my stomach a bit but I am super happy with my muscle definition in my arms, back, and legs so far.
  • AWorth10
    AWorth10 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You look amazing! I'm inspired by your hard work and determination. Thanks for posting
  • EllenTebbits
    EllenTebbits Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    HOLY MOLY. Amazing.
  • SFDonovan
    SFDonovan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How long did this take you?
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    You look amazing and you just totally inspired me. Can you tell me what you did to lose fat and your strength training schedule?
  • demonwithahalo
    demonwithahalo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow you're looking amazing, how inspiring!
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible. Here is a before picture, I am 5'4", 236lbs in this picture.
    Slide4_zps6f615c5a.jpg

photo4_zps4c033e08.jpg
    photo2_zps15a702cb.jpg

I still have another 15-20lbs to go and am hoping to lower my body fat percentage and tighten my stomach a bit but I am super happy with my muscle definition in my arms, back, and legs so far.

You are a beautiful lady! Amazing job! Thanks for posting! You inspire me!
  • LittleOnE78
    LittleOnE78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look AMAZING!! Congrats on the weight loss!!
    I have about 90lbs to lose and seeing this gave me motivation. You look great :)
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    O-M-G!!!! You look amazing!!!! You give me tons of hope!!! Thanks for posting!!!!!
  • SanCan2602
    SanCan2602 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    @ dschassie - Wow! You look amazing and truly inspiring! Congrats on your accomplishment!
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Slide4_zps6f615c5a.jpg

photo4_zps4c033e08.jpg
    photo2_zps15a702cb.jpg

Amazing job! Where did the 145lb pic come in? Did you lose weight and then start lifting?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know if it's possible to make gains in muscle while trying to lose 100+ lbs? If anyone has done this can you post some progress pics? :) much appreciated!

I will get back to you when my ticker is complete.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Possible, but even with obese people, the muscle gain is minimal. What most obese don't realize is that carrying around a lot of extra weight FORCED the body to increase lean mass too. Usually why legs and calves are muscular when losing weight even if leg work is minimal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look absolutely amazing! Congratulations on your hard work - it's paid off big time!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Possible, but even with obese people, the muscle gain is minimal.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yes, this is what I was thinking. Those muscles do look amazing! Lifting helps preserve muscle as fat is lost, and builds the strength, even if it doesn't actually add muscle mass. So lift! :happy:
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Slide4_zps6f615c5a.jpg

photo4_zps4c033e08.jpg
    photo2_zps15a702cb.jpg

DUDE. I just have to call you dude. lol. You are just so awesome!!! This is what I want. Health and Strength. Thnks MFP buddy!
  • irNathaniel
    irNathaniel Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    in Theory iits not possible... but as shown it does happen :D
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Possible, but even with obese people, the muscle gain is minimal. What most obese don't realize is that carrying around a lot of extra weight FORCED the body to increase lean mass too. Usually why legs and calves are muscular when losing weight even if leg work is minimal.

IDEA Fitness member

Exactly this. The poster above who lost loads of weight and ended up quite muscular managed to maintain a substantial amount of her LBM during her weight loss journey. You can't gain on a deficit so this muscle was already underneath her fat. Diet helped her lose the fat and exercise helped her retain the muscle.
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the kind words. To answer some questions and clear up potential confusion, what ninerbuff posted is absolutely correct, if you are trying to lose a substantial amount of weight, you won’t be packing on pounds and pounds of muscle. The calorie deficit that you are on for the weight loss doesn’t allow for this.

What you can do during your weight loss though is weight lifting and eating properly (hitting the right macros, especially your protein) to ensure that no or only minimal muscle mass is lost when the pounds are coming off. Once the pounds are dropping, the muscle definition will come through since the fat layers aren’t covering it up anymore.

It took me 18 months to get to my current weight, I started lifting heavy only 5 months ago. (The pictures are 2 months old so they show 3 months of lifting progress between the picture on the top right in the black dress and the flex photo).
  • PuckBunny1919
    Options
    Thank you for the help! You look incredible! I've been lifting heavy for most two months, my fiancé and a few others can tell a difference in my posture, but they also see my back is toning up. I feel a lot stronger than I was. I will lose over 100+lbs and be toned. I will be one of these success stories. You my friend, have killed it. Congrats again!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!