Going organic help?

So over the past few months I've been really debating on what I've been buying out of walmart and my local supermarket. Even though I eat apples and eat healthy I kept debating am I really eating healthy and trying to look what is really in my food. Anyway I saw a post from a guy who been in fitness for the last six years or so and it said-> Our food is not food anymore. Rather, it's genetically modified and artificial CRAP! When I walk into a normal grocery store, I look around in disgust because 98% of the store contains foods that are terrible for people. The only good foods, well sort of good foods because they aren't certified organic, are in the tiny produce section. We truly as a society need to start paying more attention to what we put into our bodies! Your best bet is to STOP going to places like Wal-Mart and start shopping at your local organic grocery store when buying groceri

Anyways I have chosen to go 100% organic and buy from my local organic food store. And buy free range meats I just can't trust the boneless skinless chicken tenderloins I've been getting from Tyson are healthy or the broccoli I've been getting from Walmart is healthy.

The only thing I won't go organic on is two things-> Ranch dressing and BBQ sauce I can't stand the Greek yogurt ranch dressing crap and I hate homemade BBQ sauce.

I also don't care for Ezekiel bread but I know how to make my own wheat bread.

Anyway my problem is I'm an ectomorph have gone from 93lbs to 120lbs in nine months. So I snack a lot what can I buy that organic to snack on?

Also I'm on disability right now how can I buy organic cheap?

We have a farmers market and two local health foods stores in my town.

So how can I buy organic but not spend an extra $100 doing so?

Also what your best advise for shopping organic? Thanks

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    So over the past few months I've been really debating on what I've been buying out of walmart and my local supermarket. Even though I eat apples and eat healthy I kept debating am I really eating healthy and trying to look what is really in my food. Anyway I saw a post from a guy who been in fitness for the last six years or so and it said-> Our food is not food anymore. Rather, it's genetically modified and artificial CRAP! When I walk into a normal grocery store, I look around in disgust because 98% of the store contains foods that are terrible for people. The only good foods, well sort of good foods because they aren't certified organic, are in the tiny produce section. We truly as a society need to start paying more attention to what we put into our bodies! Your best bet is to STOP going to places like Wal-Mart and start shopping at your local organic grocery store when buying groceri

Anyways I have chosen to go 100% organic and buy from my local organic food store. And buy free range meats I just can't trust the boneless skinless chicken tenderloins I've been getting from Tyson are healthy or the broccoli I've been getting from Walmart is healthy.

The only thing I won't go organic on is two things-> Ranch dressing and BBQ sauce I can't stand the Greek yogurt ranch dressing crap and I hate homemade BBQ sauce.

Anyway my problem is I'm an ectomorph have gone from 93lbs to 120lbs in nine months. So I snack a lot what can I buy that organic to snack on?

So you read some rant by a guy in the fitness industry that most food is crap and not actually food. Did he present any evidence if this is actually bad for you, particularly GMO's?

I'd say instead of being so gullible, eat a wide variety of foods and you'll be ok. And really somatotype nonsense and you weigh 120? How tall are you? I'd say you just need to eat period unless you're like 5'
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member

Be warned that you will get a lot of negativity and judgement with your post. You have already been eating organic so expanding on that should not be difficult. Do a bit of research. Get to know where your local organic food producers are. There are apps available for that to help you find those producers based on your location. As far as snacking goes, your health food store offers an abundance of options. Walmart of your grocery store should also have organic options so basically you can find the snacks you like in organic versions. As far as salad dressings and bbq sauce goes, the cost saving option is to make your own using organic ingredients. If you don't like the homemade bbq sauce you make find a different recipe. I don't buy either of these as both can easily be made at home for a fraction of the cost of store bought and homemade does not have the additives we avoid. Eating organic does not necessarily mean you have to spend more. It just means you need to educate yourself, do the research and be willing to find alternatives. In general, homemade is always less expensive than store bought organic or not so be prepared to make your own. I honestly won't buy anything I can make myself.

If you want to save buying organic the same rules apply as to regular grocery shopping. Buy direct from the farmer or food producer. Buy foods produced within 100 km of your home. When shopping in a grocery store, focus on the outer aisles and avoid the centre aisles. Grow your own and make your own.
  • jmv7117

So you read some rant by a guy in the fitness industry that most food is crap and not actually food. Did he present any evidence if this is actually bad for you, particularly GMO's?

I'd say instead of being so gullible, eat a wide variety of foods and you'll be ok. And really somatotype nonsense and you weigh 120? How tall are you? I'd say you just need to eat period unless you're like 5'

She was not asking for your opinion on her weight or food of choice. She was asking how to go organic. Whether or not somatotypes play a role is a moot point for the discussion. How much she weighs is a moot point. I currently weigh 112 lb so you WITHOUT knowing me or my stats or anything else would arrogantly tell me to eat more just like you did with her? Talk to the hand!
  • Fitnessman168
    Fitnessman168 Posts: 85 Member
    I'm a he lol it happens thanks for advise
  • Acg67

She was not asking for your opinion on her weight or food of choice. She was asking how to go organic. Whether or not somatotypes play a role is a moot point for the discussion. How much she weighs is a moot point. I currently weigh 112 lb so you WITHOUT knowing me or my stats or anything else would arrogantly tell me to eat more just like you did with her? Talk to the hand!

Ah yes personal attacks due to lack of reading comprehension. Seeing as the screenname is fitnessman and the profile says male, how did you get the OP was a female? Do you not think 120lbs for your average male is not on the underweight side unless pretty short? Did you not notice I asked the OP's height? Again reading comprehension
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    I ate all that 98% "crap" foods you stated OP and guess what I improved my heart issues to a minor issues, now to almost no issues!! Ha!!! :laugh:
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Going organic is your choice. I don't know if it's healthier or not, but it IS more expensive. Fruit and veg aren't that bad, and you can buy ethical meat from local butchers. I find the meat I get from them is somehow more filling and just tastes better.

But snacks are going to be expensive.

You have to make the call whether you can afford it or not. For me, I just can't, and that's a sacrifice I have to make. But, if you're looking for packaged snacks, there's no way to do it cheaply.
  • Snacks - organic fruit & peanut butter, vegetables & hummus
    We can only afford organic for our family of 4 by eating less - so just a basic foundation of fruits, vegetables, a whole chicken, rice, and beans - then we use non-organic seasonings as that is what we happen to have in the cupboard. But, we are pretty boring about food!
    When we go non-organic for money reasons, we can afford alot more but that isn't always a good thing. But, it is more fun!
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    I don't buy all organic, only the "dirty dozen" fruits and vegetables. Going organic for those fruits and vegetables alone can cut your pesticide consumption significantly, and it is way more affordable than going 100% organic.
  • That is an excellent point, vrs - some produce is more important for organic, especially apples, blueberries, meat, dairy products.
  • jmv7117

Ah yes personal attacks due to lack of reading comprehension. Seeing as the screenname is fitnessman and the profile says male, how did you get the OP was a female? Do you not think 120lbs for your average male is not on the underweight side unless pretty short? Did you not notice I asked the OP's height? Again reading comprehension

It was not a personal attack. It was an 'address the issue without your judgmental opinion'. There are many, many ways to eat organic without breaking the bank. The OP was not asking how to lose or gain weight by eating organic simply how to eat organic with specific questions related to their decision. End of.
  • jojo28012
    jojo28012 Posts: 26 Member
    I find that Trader Joe's has some reasonable organic fruits and vegetables, as well as meats.

On the subject of GMO's. I find it concerning that Japan does not allow GMO's in any of their foods; Several countries in the European Union label GMO's or ban them. This alone should make you wonder? It does me. What do they know that the USA doesn't? Is our country hiding something so Monsanto and food companies can make huge profits? Just something to consider.
  • jmv7117
    I don't buy all organic, only the "dirty dozen" fruits and vegetables. Going organic for those fruits and vegetables alone can cut your pesticide consumption significantly, and it is way more affordable than going 100% organic.

This is good advice for someone starting on an organic food journey!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Going organic is a choice. There are several articles out there showing that it's NOT an improvement nutrient or healthwise over non organic counterparts.
    The body can't tell if a food is organic/inorganic. It just breaks whatever is digested down to it's most simplest form and absorbs it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Acg67

It was not a personal attack. It was an 'address the issue without your judgmental opinion'. There are many, many ways to eat organic without breaking the bank. The OP was not asking how to lose or gain weight by eating organic simply how to eat organic with specific questions related to their decision. End of.

Pot Kettle. Did you not judge the OP as a woman? And do you not think it is worthwhile to discuss the rationale behind his desire to eat all organic, which was a rant from some fitness guru, who i'm willing to bet has no actual evidence to back up his nonsense? So is it your belief that regardless of if someone is being irrational, stupid or whatnot you should just answer their question and help out? Maybe you should go find some of the posts with posters wanting to eat 200 cals a day and wanting to know how not to be hungry, whatever you do, do not ask them why they are eating that little or try to convince them otherwise, since that would be judgmental
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    I ate all that 98% "crap" foods you stated OP and guess what I improved my heart issues to a minor issues, now to almost no issues!! Ha!!! :laugh:

CW, the OP wasn't asking about our opinions about whether to eat organic. He has made that choice. People eat organic for different reasons. I do not eat 100% organic but do my best especially with the dirty dozen. I do try to limit my processed foods as well, as you know by my diary. Be careful not to push what worked for you because it might not work for others. The reason your heart issues improved is because it isn't carrying around a bunch of weight. But, you can be skinny and be unhealthy. I am not saying you are by any means. Just sayin'.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member

This is good advice for someone starting on an organic food journey!

THIS!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    I haven't looked at this in detail, but try this website:

http://www.ewg.org/goodfood/

It's the environmental working group's "good food" on a "tight budget" shopping guide. Also, regarding organic produce, I usually follow the "dirty dozen" list and the "clean 15." I rarely eat meat because organic meat is so expensive where I live. My best advice to you is to try to eat whole foods. If you're looking to raise your calories, then nuts, seeds, avocados and other healthy fats are good options, especially for snacks.

While it's important to consider what you are putting into your body, remember that just because something might say "organic" on a box, it doesn't mean it's healthy (especially if it comes in a box!).
  • jmv7117
    Going organic is your choice. I don't know if it's healthier or not, but it IS more expensive. Fruit and veg aren't that bad, and you can buy ethical meat from local butchers. I find the meat I get from them is somehow more filling and just tastes better.

But snacks are going to be expensive.

You have to make the call whether you can afford it or not. For me, I just can't, and that's a sacrifice I have to make. But, if you're looking for packaged snacks, there's no way to do it cheaply.

I agree that packaged snacks are more expensive and it doesn't really matter whether they are organic or not. Our local health food store has organic snacks that are comparable in price to regular grocery store snacks that aren't on sale and mainly brand name. I doubt you will find a 99 cent organic chocolate bar but there are many that are reasonably priced if you need a chocolate fix. Organic popcorn kernels will cost a bit more than non-organic but still make for a cheap snack. Nuts are pricey regardless but non-organic goes on sale whereas organic doesn't. Organic dry cereals are comparable priced to non-organic. I personally don't use them for more than snacking and cereal bars but they certainly wouldn't break the bank if used on a more regular basis. I can actually find organic produce that is less expensive than store bought and I grow what I can. RCSS has a nice organic section. Again, packaged organic convenience foods are more expensive as is dry pastas. I make my own pastas using organic flours so it isn't a problem for me but if you eat a lot of pasta I can see where that would really drive up your food costs.