Anyone not counting calories and still get fit?

Options
I go over my calories limit on days I'm not exercising and it's impossible for me to exercise everyday, and I know that having calorie deficits is the only way to lose weight.
However, I don't want to eliminate the good stuff just for the sake of reducing calories (avocado for example).
Should I stop caring that much about calories and just focus on eating healthy? Is it possible to get fit and at least look lean with that? Any thoughts, critics, experience, stories are welcome =)

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goals, what is most important. You don't have to do everything at once, so if getting one thing under control is what you need to do, just know you can incorporate other details later.

Personally I have always had trouble with exercise. I think more the thought of it, the structure of it, than anything else. SO now I don't stress over it. But I do use a fitness tracker and make sure I get at least 10k-12k steps per day. Sometimes I take a walk at lunchtime for 30 minutes. I park away from the store and spend an extra 5-10 minutes walking around the store. I park and go into the bank, rather than use the drive thru. And in the evening if I'm not at my goal, I get on the treadmill or go for a walk in the neighborhood, or run in place while watching tv on a mini trampoline.

As for food - I live by the motto that I can have anything I want. That works by one of 3 scenarios... 1) I fit it into my 1400-1600 calories per day, and still make an effort to hit my protein needs and get a variety of fruits & veggies. 2) I eat higher and have an extra active day so that I still have my deficit. And 3) sometimes, about 2-3 times per month, I aim to eat at maintenance which works out to an extra 500 calories per day.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Pay lots of money for premeasured packaged food. All the programs that I have seen that say you don't need to count or measure or log are basically packaged programs that cost money or meal plans that are preset without wiggle room for real life.

ETA - There is no problem in losing slower and increasing your calories if you needed. You can also look at the week deficit instead of worrying too much about hte day to day.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I go over my calories limit on days I'm not exercising and it's impossible for me to exercise everyday, and I know that having calorie deficits is the only way to lose weight.
    However, I don't want to eliminate the good stuff just for the sake of reducing calories (avocado for example).
    Should I stop caring that much about calories and just focus on eating healthy? Is it possible to get fit and at least look lean with that? Any thoughts, critics, experience, stories are welcome =)

It is about the calories.

However, your daily goal is 1250 cals.

What's your height and weight and activity level? How much weight do you need to lose?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories, but I'm good with portion sizes and knowing how much I'm eating. I eat whatever I want, but in moderation. I know what I need to eat to cut and to maintain. Some people can lose weight and get fit without counting, but you can't just disregard your calorie intake. Weight loss is all about calories. Just eating "healthy foods" isn't going to get you there if you're eating too much.

And if your daily goal is 1250, you're probably going to go over because that's a very small amount of food. Maybe use some online calculators and come up with a realistic goal.
  • SNLover87
    SNLover87 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I counted calories for the first year of my journey. I lost about 65 pounds in that time. Around the year mark I decided to stop counting and instead focus on what I was eating, making good decisions and not worrying about the numeric value. I've continued to lose since then, so it is possible to stay on track. It's hard at first to stop thinking that way, and even now (about 2 months later), I still catch myself doing quick math for a meal. But if you think about it, being able to eat well without counting is the goal - you want your healthy eating habits to stick, so you don't have to log everything in MFP for the rest of your life (this is what I was telling myself). I mean you could do that...but I really don't want to lol. I now use the scale to tell me if I'm slipping. But so far I've been able to stay on track.
  • Hammock
    Hammock Posts: 37
    Options
    Short and sweet: been there, done that...and it didn't work for me. Counting calories is the way to go. I still eat avocados, too, but not as much at one time as before. Now I have 1/4 and am grateful for it! I also "count" my exercise, and while it makes my loss slower, it also makes me feel better and healthier, and my appetite is usually more controllable.
  • Gamer_2k4
    Gamer_2k4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Really? Your question is, "I go over my limits a lot and can't always exercise, so should I just stop keeping track?"

I lost 40 pounds without counting calories, so it is possible. However, because I wasn't keeping track of the specifics, I was extra strict about what I would and wouldn't eat. Counting calories gives me leeway, because I know when I can afford a snack and when I can't.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Too many avocados and you won't lose. Calories exist, whether or not you are tracking them.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If I am reading it right then your ticker says you have 7.5lbs to lose? Or is that just to an intermediate goal?

What I was going to say is, I am over 200lb so I KNOW that I need to log my calories. I eat when I am not particularly hungry which is a bad habit that got me overweight in the first place. So I know that without counting I am very likely to overeat.

If you only have 7.5lbs to lose it's possible that by just making healthier choices you can lose the extra weight that you want to. Because you wouldn't want to create too large a deficit anyway.

Maybe you could just try for a month? Don't track calories and just be mindful of what you are eating and make healthy choices and limit treats. If at the end of the month you have lost weight and enjoyed the freedom then it's a win/win. If you have gained then it seems that to lose weight you have to watch your calories.
  • jasminecoco
    jasminecoco Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the great comments, I need to be more strict on myself !
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You could change the way you set your goals up. If you go by the suggested calories on MFP then eat back exercise calories it could be tough to stick to.

Instead you could calculate your approximate TDEE then subtract 10-20%. That would give you an even calorie goal through the week. TDEE takes your exercise into account.

You don't HAVE to track to lose weight or get in shape, but tracking gives you the data to help determine what changes you should make.
  • jasminecoco
    Options
    If I am reading it right then your ticker says you have 7.5lbs to lose? Or is that just to an intermediate goal?

What I was going to say is, I am over 200lb so I KNOW that I need to log my calories. I eat when I am not particularly hungry which is a bad habit that got me overweight in the first place. So I know that without counting I am very likely to overeat.

If you only have 7.5lbs to lose it's possible that by just making healthier choices you can lose the extra weight that you want to. Because you wouldn't want to create too large a deficit anyway.

Maybe you could just try for a month? Don't track calories and just be mindful of what you are eating and make healthy choices and limit treats. If at the end of the month you have lost weight and enjoyed the freedom then it's a win/win. If you have gained then it seems that to lose weight you have to watch your calories.

This is a possible and great idea! Thanks!
  • jasminecoco
    Options
    This is true, nothing too much is good for me. Avocado is good but I need to eat less of it =)
  • jasminecoco
    Options
    LOL you are making my sneaky question too obvious. Yes I am so tired of tracking calories and still go over it.
    I try to exercise everyday, but sometimes I'm just too sleepy and tired to do it. and that day without exercise is a guilty and bad day for me for sure.
  • jasminecoco
    Options
    Really? Your question is, "I go over my limits a lot and can't always exercise, so should I just stop keeping track?"

I lost 40 pounds without counting calories, so it is possible. However, because I wasn't keeping track of the specifics, I was extra strict about what I would and wouldn't eat. Counting calories gives me leeway, because I know when I can afford a snack and when I can't.

LOL you are making my sneaky question too obvious. Yes I am so tired of tracking calories and still go over it.
    I try to exercise everyday, but sometimes I'm just too sleepy and tired to do it. and that day without exercise is a guilty and bad day for me for sure.
  • jasminecoco
    Options
    Short and sweet: been there, done that...and it didn't work for me. Counting calories is the way to go. I still eat avocados, too, but not as much at one time as before. Now I have 1/4 and am grateful for it! I also "count" my exercise, and while it makes my loss slower, it also makes me feel better and healthier, and my appetite is usually more controllable.

avocado post was a reply to you =)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight you have to eat less calories than you burn. To do this, most people need to count calories. Even though I have been in maintenance since January, I have resigned myself to the fact that I will be counting calories for the rest of my life because I do not want to gain my weight back. However, keep in mind that everyone is different when it comes to tracking calories.

You can eat as healthy as you want and still gain if you eat more calories than you burn. However, there is no reason to cut out the foods you love. Just eat them in moderation and stay within your calorie goal.

Also, if you have little weight to lose, such as the roundabout seven someone else mentioned, then you need to lose it slowly at .5 pounds a week.
  • jasminecoco
    Options
    Pay lots of money for premeasured packaged food. All the programs that I have seen that say you don't need to count or measure or log are basically packaged programs that cost money or meal plans that are preset without wiggle room for real life.

ETA - There is no problem in losing slower and increasing your calories if you needed. You can also look at the week deficit instead of worrying too much about hte day to day.

Thanks for sharing, I didn't know about the premeasured packaged food.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Did anyone ever go on a road-trip with a broken fuel gauge and just guess how much gas they had left? Sure you can do it but measurements actually make things easier.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories, but I'm good with portion sizes and knowing how much I'm eating. I eat whatever I want, but in moderation. I know what I need to eat to cut and to maintain. Some people can lose weight and get fit without counting, but you can't just disregard your calorie intake. Weight loss is all about calories. Just eating "healthy foods" isn't going to get you there if you're eating too much.

And if your daily goal is 1250, you're probably going to go over because that's a very small amount of food. Maybe use some online calculators and come up with a realistic goal.
    Love this advice. I would love to be able to not actually count the calories, but last time I stopped I gained 30 pounds back in five years. A trainer taught me calorie counting about 12 years ago, but I just sort of forgot....