Hi, my name is Melanie and I'm addicted to food.

Options
mp5girl
mp5girl Posts: 13 Member
I have had a rough go of it that past few years. I was in two car accidents and three surgeries. I lost seven family members, and several pets. I had job issues, depression issues, and control issues. The only thing I feel I can control is food. And food made me feel better momentarily because it stopped my mind from thinking about everything else sucky in life and the taste was that much better.

Now, I do believe I have run out of bad luck and am ready to change it. I am looking to gain control back of my whole life, not just my food life and I'd like to change my mind set from "I live to eat" to "I eat to live". I need to do this. Who's with me? :)

Replies

• motivatenikki
    motivatenikki Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    hi, Melanie! i'm very sorry to hear of the things you have been going through for the past few years. it is truly inspiring that you are ready to move forward and take care of yourself again.

i just started over last week. tired of feeling and looking this way, so i am with you!

funny about your thread title - i have to say, i almost think more about food now than before! i'm constantly looking for healthy recipes on here and on pinterest. planning out my meals for the future. figuring out how many calories something is and if it will fit into my day. lol. maybe i need to switch and start thinking more about my exercise plan!
  • richfaber
    richfaber Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Melanie,

Sorry for your bad luck. Great news about your decision to change your life! I am not an expert but I have lost 30 pounds in the last two years, including two surgeries that threw me off. If you haven't already I suggest consulting a therapist to see if you need to supplement your life with an antidepressant. Also you need to get regular check ups to be sure you are not suffering from what your family members suffered from, high blood pressure, etc.

That said you can get off an addition cold turkey or little by little. Either way you need to really commit to logging your food and exercise with this app. I am sure there will be others to offer help in this regard. You can do it!

Rich
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I too am addicted to food. Suffer from depression and anxeity tho dont admit it often to anyone. On here is basically anonymous so I can say it out loud for all to hear... so melanie you are not alone.
    Cindy
  • tcbs99
    tcbs99 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Melanie, sorry to hear about all those things that took place in your life. I am glad you are ready to take control and live. As I have heard, its no matter what’s going on, you can always begin again. Welcome to your new beginning. Start each day afresh and anew. Food is a comforter for so many, believe me you are not alone. We just need to learn to put it into perspective and I believe you have caught the revelation. I am with you with the eating to live, not living to eat.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this quite a bit. I find that a good part of the secret is learning how to make things with low calories that satisfy what would be a high calorie craving. So instead of ice cream I put a frozen banana and some frozen strawberries and about 1/2 cup or so of milk into a food processor and hit it until everything is combined and it is like strawberry banana soft serve. 12 oz comes out to be 200 calories.

Also if u take antidepressants, research carefully, as some of them cause weight gain. Celexa put 30 lb on my butt and 50 on hubby's that we're now working so hard to lose! We're on Lexapro now which does not cause that. I still have another 20 lb to lose and he needs to take off like 60. *sigh*
  • mp5girl
    mp5girl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks Rich! Most of my family passed from unrelated issues. A drug over dose, heart attack, motorcycle accident, old age, an lung cancer would cover the categories. I did check that my health is over all 'normal'. I'm just fat. I am not prediabetic, I don't have high cholesterol or blood pressure and no thyroid issues or anything like to blame. The depression was solely related to the grieving. I am otherwise mentally healthy! (Or so they say! ;)