Struggling to eat 1200 calories

Options
1235»

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem and just called my doctor to see what he says so I'll let you know. I wasn't sure if you should be replacing the calories that you burn off since they subtract them on this app. Seems like you are working out for nothing if you are adding the calories back in.. But I have NO IDEA!

Depends.
    If you put in your info here on MFP
    And you set your weight loss goals.
    Then it gives you the number of calories you should eat, to achieve that goal, as if you sat on your butt all day.

Then when you exercise, you burn more calories....so the app on here adds that to your total calories for the day.

I myself prefer the TDEE method.

But to each their own
  • skutnikj
    skutnikj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    so there have been a lot of not so nice posts here... You might also want to look up BMR and TDEE (BMR what your body needs to stay alive more or less) and TDEE (BMR plus activity) - depending on your weight height activity..., none of these are perfect and exact but it might help

As for what you are doing now - if you are TRULY not hungry and have TONS of energy - I wouldn't fret too much

One thing is you may find somedays you aren't really hungry maybe others you are - so listen to your body (as it sounds like you are.... ) and see how it goes after a few weeks :)

depending on what exercise you are doing and how your body changes you may find over time that you are hungrier (if you begin adding muscle mass) but it sounds like you are listening to your body so kudos....
  • LaurelleV
    LaurelleV Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There are most definitely reasons to keep to *at least* 1200 cals, especially if you want energy and to live a long and healthy life.

See this article: http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/10-things-you-dont-know-about-calories

"Women should not consume less than 1,200 calories a day," Brownell cautions. In fact, a diet below 1,000 calories a day (called a very low-calorie diet or VLCD) increases your risk for gallstones and heart problems and should be followed only by obese people under a doctor's supervision. While you can drop to 1,200 calories per day and survive, doing so is not a smart idea. Going for a bare-minimum caloric intake may yield quick results, but it also can leave you listless and unable to exercise (key to keeping the pounds off), and may lead to muscle loss and a slowing of your metabolism. Even if you're careful about what you eat, a daily intake of 1,200 calories can shortchange you on important nutrients such as calcium and folate.
  • BJBroxton
    BJBroxton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There are most definitely reasons to keep to *at least* 1200 cals, especially if you want energy and to live a long and healthy life.

See this article: http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/10-things-you-dont-know-about-calories

"Women should not consume less than 1,200 calories a day," Brownell cautions. In fact, a diet below 1,000 calories a day (called a very low-calorie diet or VLCD) increases your risk for gallstones and heart problems and should be followed only by obese people under a doctor's supervision. While you can drop to 1,200 calories per day and survive, doing so is not a smart idea. Going for a bare-minimum caloric intake may yield quick results, but it also can leave you listless and unable to exercise (key to keeping the pounds off), and may lead to muscle loss and a slowing of your metabolism. Even if you're careful about what you eat, a daily intake of 1,200 calories can shortchange you on important nutrients such as calcium and folate.
    Great article! thanks for posting
  • BJBroxton
    BJBroxton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    BTW OP it does get easier to eat up the calories....(like someone posted before here, "it is easy to get full eating a bunch of healthy foods) One thing my wife and I are learning (re-learning) is that there is a difference in "needing to eat" and "being hungry". When we first started here (was on a 1400 diet before exercise that quickly dwindled down to 1200) well as a 6ft 300+lb male 1200 isn't enough to lose healthy. So we started incorporating (with help from others on MFP) more calories a little at a time. Up to about 1400-1500 now and still working on it. I feel a lot better!
  • 29_adjacent
    29_adjacent Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be blunt, but I must....

1.) You say you became overweight by eating over 4000 calories of junk. So, you CAN eat more than 1200 calories. If you've got an additional 400 calories at the end of the day, eat some junk! You said yourself that you don't have to be hungry to eat it.

I don't know if you're getting confused with someone else but I never mentioned anything about eating over 4000 calories of junk??

Also, the point is I don't want to "eat some junk" just to make up the calories. I'd prefer healthier/nutritious options with the occasional bit of junk, thanks.
    Pull up those big girl panties and feed yourself like an adult.

Sorry, but IMO this comment is just rude and unnecessary.
    just freaking do it and stop whining about it.

I don't recall whining. I simply asked for some advice as I am new to all this. I THOUGHT that was the point of these forums but perhaps I was wrong...
  • 29_adjacent
    Options
    Again, thank you to everyone who has actually given some helpful advice and been nice about it.

To everyone making rude comments and going on about "how did you get overweight in the first place then!?!?", I just want to let you know that coming from the point of view of someone who is new to MFP and these forums (this was my first ever post) saying things like that is not really helpful and it certainly doesn't make me feel very welcomed.

And that's all I have to say on the matter. I'm not an idiot who needs to be talked down to by strangers on the internet, I was simply looking for a little advice. If people choose to continue making those kind of comments I will simply ignore them.

Thank you.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You have to treat the question of how you gained weight in the first place as something of a Zen koan. It's not meant to put you down or question your truthiness, but to get you to think about all the possible food options that you used to eat that could be reincorporated into your diet now to boost your calories. It's very common for dieters to cut out all the foods they consider "bad" and be left struggling to reach 1200 calories. There's a balance to be found somewhere between your old diet and your new one.
  • 29_adjacent
    Options
    You have to treat the question of how you gained weight in the first place as something of a Zen koan. It's not meant to put you down or question your truthiness, but to get you to think about all the possible food options that you used to eat that could be reincorporated into your diet now to boost your calories. It's very common for dieters to cut out all the foods they consider "bad" and be left struggling to reach 1200 calories. There's a balance to be found somewhere between your old diet and your new one.

Absolutely I agree it is about balance and I know that is something I need to get better at. However, many of the people mentioning how overweight I am and questioning how I managed to get here have just been downright rude about it and there's no need for that imo.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Absolutely I agree it is about balance and I know that is something I need to get better at. However, many of the people mentioning how overweight I am and questioning how I managed to get here have just been downright rude about it and there's no need for that imo.

You were totally missing the point. The point was you can totally eat 1200 calories, if we couldn't we wouldn't have weight to lose. That was their point.
  • 29_adjacent
    Options

You were totally missing the point. The point was you can totally eat 1200 calories, if we couldn't we wouldn't have weight to lose. That was their point.

Nope. They missed the point. I never once said I COULDN'T eat 1200 cals. I said I had been struggling to do so on some days and I was looking for advice on this (as I personally don't want to just eat some more junk food just to make up the calories). Many people gave some helpful advice about adding things like nuts which are healthier than junk, high in calories but not a large volume - because, as I said, I was feeling FULL on less than 1200 cals.

So the past two days I have taken this very helpful advice and eaten some nuts and guess what?? I managed to hit my 1200 cal target!

I personally feel some people have just been rude/unhelpful with their comments and, like I said, as someone who is new here it didn't come across as very welcoming.

Anyway I'm done talking about this. People have given their opinions and advice. I have taken on board those I feel will work for me and I have given my opinion on the WAY that some of that "advice" was given. The end! :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Nope. They missed the point. I never once said I COULDN'T eat 1200 cals. I said I had been struggling to do so on some days and I was looking for advice on this (as I personally don't want to just eat some more junk food just to make up the calories). Many people gave some helpful advice about adding things like nuts which are healthier than junk, high in calories but not a large volume - because, as I said, I was feeling FULL on less than 1200 cals.

So the past two days I have taken this very helpful advice and eaten some nuts and guess what?? I managed to hit my 1200 cal target!

I personally feel some people have just been rude/unhelpful with their comments and, like I said, as someone who is new here it didn't come across as very welcoming.

Anyway I'm done talking about this. People have given their opinions and advice. I have taken on board those I feel will work for me and I have given my opinion on the WAY that some of that "advice" was given. The end! :)

OK, if we STRUGGLED to eat 1200 calories we wouldn't have weight to lose....
  • cmoncmonshake
    cmoncmonshake Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you're really having trouble doing so, start incorporating more healthy fats into your diet. There are over 100 calories in one tablespoon of olive oil. Cook your dinner or lunch with olive oil, or use it as a dressing for your salad.

If you're eating so low, I'm assuming you're eating too many vegetables and not enough protein or healthy fats, which can really add up in your daily log. (If I use a tbsp of olive oil to make my asparagus, that's a whole lot of calories to add on. The same, a decent sized portion of chicken adds on, as well.)
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A bag of broccoli with 2 tablespoons of olive oil is 400 calories.

8 egg whites with 2 tablespoons of country crock is 300 calories.

A regular banana, and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter is about 325 calories.

A can of tunafish with a bag of salad is about 175 calories.

Wow, much science.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Dairy. Milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese.
    Seeds & nuts. Sprinkle on salads, cereal, ice cream, oatmeal.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    You have made such an improvment. Major kudos to you! The naysayers can take a hike.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

First, if you feel attacked, feel free to report a post. Since i am in the post, I don't mod but another mod will look at it. Second, you have to understand that all foods have their purposes. People suggest stuff like pizza or McDonalds Hamburgers are junk but if you look at them at their core, it's protein, carbs and fat. Yes, they are higher calories and have lots of sodium, but in the end, can provide balance. The thing is, it's better to have junk food and hit your calorie goal, then continuously be way under it. If you struggle to do 1200, what are you going to do during maintenance? I would questions right now if 1200 is even appropriate for you, because for many people it's not. So if you want to evolve to the next step, if you want to review if your calorie goal is right, then post your height, weight, age, workout routine and work/lifestyle (active job or sedentary job) and if you have medical conditions. I ask this because if you are active, your body will need more than 1200 calories.In fact, almost every woman i know is losing at 1700-2100, but they all exercise.
  • thirteeninches
    thirteeninches Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If eating 1200 is so hard...how did you get overweight in the first place? Eat more of the stuff you ate before, just in smaller portions, and you'll bump up your intake very easily.

You... you are the people I am talking about when I said this

"people often forget when you are eating without caring about calories its easy to pack away 4700 calories a day, but when you are eating and being mindful (more fruits/veggies less big macs and fries) it is harder to hit 1200 calories."

I got fat because I can literally eat 4700 calories and still be hungry at the end of the day. Creamer in coffee alone used to kill me calorie wise.

It's is being mindful. But it is also the chemistry of certain foods on certain body types (like people who are pre-diabetic/insulin sensitive) can cause a person's blood sugar to rise and fall rapidly, causing nearly uncontrollable bouts of hunger or cravings in some people. Others eat from boredom, or from depression, or from anxiety. These issues can be remedied with balanced nutrition-maybe not completely remedied, but at least improved to where blood sugars stabilize and appetite (emotionally stimulated or nutritionally stimulated-though usually a combination of both) will go down.

I am also a person who lost my appetite once I lowered my calories and began to follow my macros (and my micros), and I had a hard time keeping to 1200 per day. I had to force myself to eat more. And this is coming from someone who used to eat 6 Ramen Noodles (beef flavor was my favorite) slathered in butter and cheese and mushrooms every day, with a tall glass of whole milk each time. Just losing those cravings and the miserable ups and downs of rising/falling blood sugars makes it worth it.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain an extra 70 lbs by not being able to eat 1200 calories.

Eat real food. Not low fat/no fat/low cal/diet foods.

Have a spoon of peanut butter.

Eat some almonds.

Add real dressing to your salad.

Eat meat.

It's not hard.

ETA: Typo

No I gained the extra weight by just eating all the wrong things all the time but not because I was necessarily hungry for them. Since deciding to do something about it though I've found that I am actually satisfied with normal portions of healthy foods - meat/chicken + plenty of veg but they don't add up to many calories.

Not a fan of salad dressing or peanut butter but I love almonds so will try adding those (and other nuts I guess) to my diet, thanks.

I was in this same position about a year ago, and I fixed it by eating whatever mfp said I had to eat , so like you I was low at the end of the day and to catch up would eat a bowl of yogurt with all the good stuff, nuts , honey , pb, or nutella ....I would add part or feta to other foods, olive oil avocados . After awhile your body adjusts and you start eating like a normal person. But eating to low will tire you out for sure , your workouts will become less productive etc. ;) good luck add those almonds to that ice cream :)
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain an extra 70 lbs by not being able to eat 1200 calories.

Eat real food. Not low fat/no fat/low cal/diet foods.

Have a spoon of peanut butter.

Eat some almonds.

Add real dressing to your salad.

Eat meat.

It's not hard.

THIS.
    I cannot understand for the life of me why this thread gets posted 20 times a day every.darn.day.

for attention... validation etc