HRM watch only what's the best for price

Options
I have a cheap hrm from Wal-Mart but it really sucks I have to stand very still just to take a reading which kills my workout. What one is good for price and I can still take a reading while moving. I can't afford the one with the strap yet so just looking to upgrade what I have. Thank you for the help!

Replies

• 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Could you maybe provide the max you can pay? That might help.
  • seanw500
    seanw500 Posts: 1
    Options
    I recently purchased a Polar FT4, it cost me around £50 but since I've had it I've found it to be great, my workouts feel more productive, it gives me greater confidence when planning my meals and gives me greater accuracy as to whether I'm over or under eating :) Hope this helps, feel free to contact me if you have anymore questions about it I'm happy to help :)
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    What's your budget? I have a basic polar ft4 with a chest strap and it was under $65 on amazon. Personally, I would return the cheap HRM and save up for a more reliable one. In the mean time, you can use an online activity estimator or only eat back 50%-75% of the exercise calories the MFP database gives you until you can purchase it.
  • bonkosaurusrex
    Options
    I got my Polar FT60 on Amazon for 115 bucks. I have no regrets. Maybe just skip the HRM for a while and save up? It's totally worth it to get one with a chest strap. I'm glad I did.
  • jenna40_2go
    jenna40_2go Posts: 101
    Options
    I wish I could return the one I got but I bought it almost a month ago. It worked great at first but as I continue to use it, it seems like it is harder to get it to read anything. Even when I stand still it won't read. My budgets about $75. I have been looking at a polar watch and it seems like the one for me but I want to make sure I can place my finger on it and it will read even when I'm moving around.
  • Jsoliz0525
    Jsoliz0525 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have Polar FT4 and I love it. It comes with a chest strap and reads heartrate and calories continously. You dont have to press a button for it to read. I got my on Ebay for $55 and was in great condition. I would recommend this HR watch its amazing!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I wish I could return the one I got but I bought it almost a month ago. It worked great at first but as I continue to use it, it seems like it is harder to get it to read anything. Even when I stand still it won't read. My budgets about $75. I have been looking at a polar watch and it seems like the one for me but I want to make sure I can place my finger on it and it will read even when I'm moving around.

A Polar FT4 has a chest strap. Chest straps are more accurate than wrist only models. You don't have to stop & arms movements don't throw things off. The chest strap will measure electric impulses constantly. I love mine. The only thing is the FT4 may pick up interference from other monitors in the gym. I workout at home, so this isn't an issue for me.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Ironman Timex Road Trainer

I like it cause the watch is small, don't have to wear a brick on my arm.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options

If you still have the receipt, I would give it a try. Walmart will take just about anything back. If not, they may be able to give you a store credit and you could snag some cheap workout clothes.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the Polar FT4. If you don't need GPS this is the best one IMO. The chest strap is comfortable and after a while you don't notice it. They also have great customer service. My first one's chest strap went after almost a year and they sent me a new one no problems at all.

I got mine for about $75 in Canada from a local fitness shop.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    if you can't find one I have a polar FT7 it has a scratch on the face but I'll sell it to you for $50 shipped as long as you are in the US.
  • ButYouGotMySoul
    ButYouGotMySoul Posts: 44 Member
    Options

If you have the receipt Walmart has a 90 day return policy on everything except video games, movies, tvs, things of that sort. [I work the returns desk at Walmart, so I can tell you they will take it back]
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options

If you have the receipt Walmart has a 90 day return policy on everything except video games, movies, tvs, things of that sort. [I work the returns desk at Walmart, so I can tell you they will take it back]

yes walmart has an excellent return policy. I love walmart. and walking through there I noticed some very nice running clothes. I have to go shopping for running gear there now instead of target. also walmart sells KT Tape which is worth it's weight in gold.
  • jenna40_2go
    jenna40_2go Posts: 101
    Options
    So I called Wal-Mart and they said I could trade it for a better one of equal or more value. So I'm heading up to see what they have. Wish me luck!
  • 143tobe
    Options
    Good luck! You definatly want one with a chest strap. If they have Sigma's, I highly recommend this one.
    Sigma PC10.11 Heart Rate Monitor
    It costs less than a Polar, I've had mine for a year and it has been flawless. I LOVE it.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    google heart rate monitor USA, you can get polars, garmins, etc. at a pretty decent discount.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    So I called Wal-Mart and they said I could trade it for a better one of equal or more value. So I'm heading up to see what they have. Wish me luck!

Good luck. let us know which one you get if you do
  • 143tobe
    Options
    Ironman Timex Road Trainer

I like it cause the watch is small, don't have to wear a brick on my arm.

Hahaha! Ok...well...yes, there is one flaw. I have to wear a brick on my arm. But It was what I could afford, so totally happy with my brick for the buck. :)
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If you have any ios device, ipad, iPhone...you can download the app "polar beat" and get yourself a Polar h7 heart rate strap. Works very well!
    Stef.
  • dcordy
    dcordy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You could buy the Polar H7 Bluetooth Smart Heart Rate Sensor - $53.99 on Amazon. It's just the strap and sensor that synchs with the Polar Beat phone app. I use mine all the time and never wear the watch anymore.

Ooops, I see that just got posted before me. You can also view the details of your workout on the Polar Beat website. The watch can't do that.