Going organic help?

Options
2»

Replies

• Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Honestly the only thing that I would personally spend more money on and go to a local farm for would be free range chickens and grass fed beef. I used to get my chicken from a farm and the taste! OMG it was a million times better than anything you would get at the grocery store that touts itself as being "free range" (which is a misnomer because "free range" means they have a tiny spot that they can walk around in and they get a certain amount of time in the sun). My husband and I are actually thinking of going in with a friend and buying half a cow that we will pay to have raised and slaughtered.

"Organic" is such an arbitrary term that's thrown out there and there really are no hard and fast standards for it. There is a farm about 20 minutes from where I live and they have a sign stating that they are "organic" however their vegetables are grown right next to the road where diesel trucks drive by spewing off their nasty smoke, and cars are driving by putting their emissions into the air so how "organic" can that food really be with all those chemicals being put on them and in them?

If you want to shop local than by all means do it but don't buy into the "organic" trend just because it's said to be better.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at this in detail, but try this website:

http://www.ewg.org/goodfood/

It's the environmental working group's "good food" on a "tight budget" shopping guide. Also, regarding organic produce, I usually follow the "dirty dozen" list and the "clean 15." I rarely eat meat because organic meat is so expensive where I live. My best advice to you is to try to eat whole foods. If you're looking to raise your calories, then nuts, seeds, avocados and other healthy fats are good options, especially for snacks.

While it's important to consider what you are putting into your body, remember that just because something might say "organic" on a box, it doesn't mean it's healthy (especially if it comes in a box!).

You hit the nail on the head! I know folks want organic convenience food replacements for the non-organic versions they have been using but honestly, these are still highly processed foods. The only difference is they are made from non-GMO and organic ingredients.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't buy all organic, only the "dirty dozen" fruits and vegetables. Going organic for those fruits and vegetables alone can cut your pesticide consumption significantly, and it is way more affordable than going 100% organic.

This is good advice for someone starting on an organic food journey!

THIS!

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/2012/09/24/pesticides-food-fears/
  • jmv7117
    Options
    So over the past few months I've been really debating on what I've been buying out of walmart and my local supermarket. Even though I eat apples and eat healthy I kept debating am I really eating healthy and trying to look what is really in my food. Anyway I saw a post from a guy who been in fitness for the last six years or so and it said-> Our food is not food anymore. Rather, it's genetically modified and artificial CRAP! When I walk into a normal grocery store, I look around in disgust because 98% of the store contains foods that are terrible for people. The only good foods, well sort of good foods because they aren't certified organic, are in the tiny produce section. We truly as a society need to start paying more attention to what we put into our bodies! Your best bet is to STOP going to places like Wal-Mart and start shopping at your local organic grocery store when buying groceri

Anyways I have chosen to go 100% organic and buy from my local organic food store. And buy free range meats I just can't trust the boneless skinless chicken tenderloins I've been getting from Tyson are healthy or the broccoli I've been getting from Walmart is healthy.

The only thing I won't go organic on is two things-> Ranch dressing and BBQ sauce I can't stand the Greek yogurt ranch dressing crap and I hate homemade BBQ sauce.

I also don't care for Ezekiel bread but I know how to make my own wheat bread.

Anyway my problem is I'm an ectomorph have gone from 93lbs to 120lbs in nine months. So I snack a lot what can I buy that organic to snack on?

Also I'm on disability right now how can I buy organic cheap?

We have a farmers market and two local health foods stores in my town.

So how can I buy organic but not spend an extra $100 doing so?

Also what your best advise for shopping organic? Thanks

So you read some rant by a guy in the fitness industry that most food is crap and not actually food. Did he present any evidence if this is actually bad for you, particularly GMO's?

I'd say instead of being so gullible, eat a wide variety of foods and you'll be ok. And really somatotype nonsense and you weigh 120? How tall are you? I'd say you just need to eat period unless you're like 5'

She was not asking for your opinion on her weight or food of choice. She was asking how to go organic. Whether or not somatotypes play a role is a moot point for the discussion. How much she weighs is a moot point. I currently weigh 112 lb so you WITHOUT knowing me or my stats or anything else would arrogantly tell me to eat more just like you did with her? Talk to the hand!

Ah yes personal attacks due to lack of reading comprehension. Seeing as the screenname is fitnessman and the profile says male, how did you get the OP was a female? Do you not think 120lbs for your average male is not on the underweight side unless pretty short? Did you not notice I asked the OP's height? Again reading comprehension

It was not a personal attack. It was an 'address the issue without your judgmental opinion'. There are many, many ways to eat organic without breaking the bank. The OP was not asking how to lose or gain weight by eating organic simply how to eat organic with specific questions related to their decision. End of.

Pot Kettle. Did you not judge the OP as a woman? And do you not think it is worthwhile to discuss the rationale behind his desire to eat all organic, which was a rant from some fitness guru, who i'm willing to bet has no actual evidence to back up his nonsense? So is it your belief that regardless of if someone is being irrational, stupid or whatnot you should just answer their question and help out? Maybe you should go find some of the posts with posters wanting to eat 200 cals a day and wanting to know how not to be hungry, whatever you do, do not ask them why they are eating that little or try to convince them otherwise, since that would be judgmental

No, I do not think it worthwhile to discuss the rationale behind his desire to eat all organic anymore than I think it worthwhile to discuss why his choice is any of your business. Have a great day :flowerforyou:
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    So over the past few months I've been really debating on what I've been buying out of walmart and my local supermarket. Even though I eat apples and eat healthy I kept debating am I really eating healthy and trying to look what is really in my food. Anyway I saw a post from a guy who been in fitness for the last six years or so and it said-> Our food is not food anymore. Rather, it's genetically modified and artificial CRAP! When I walk into a normal grocery store, I look around in disgust because 98% of the store contains foods that are terrible for people. The only good foods, well sort of good foods because they aren't certified organic, are in the tiny produce section. We truly as a society need to start paying more attention to what we put into our bodies! Your best bet is to STOP going to places like Wal-Mart and start shopping at your local organic grocery store when buying groceri

Anyways I have chosen to go 100% organic and buy from my local organic food store. And buy free range meats I just can't trust the boneless skinless chicken tenderloins I've been getting from Tyson are healthy or the broccoli I've been getting from Walmart is healthy.

The only thing I won't go organic on is two things-> Ranch dressing and BBQ sauce I can't stand the Greek yogurt ranch dressing crap and I hate homemade BBQ sauce.

Anyway my problem is I'm an ectomorph have gone from 93lbs to 120lbs in nine months. So I snack a lot what can I buy that organic to snack on?

So you read some rant by a guy in the fitness industry that most food is crap and not actually food. Did he present any evidence if this is actually bad for you, particularly GMO's?

I'd say instead of being so gullible, eat a wide variety of foods and you'll be ok. And really somatotype nonsense and you weigh 120? How tall are you? I'd say you just need to eat period unless you're like 5'

She was not asking for your opinion on her weight or food of choice. She was asking how to go organic. Whether or not somatotypes play a role is a moot point for the discussion. How much she weighs is a moot point. I currently weigh 112 lb so you WITHOUT knowing me or my stats or anything else would arrogantly tell me to eat more just like you did with her? Talk to the hand!
    its a HE so 120 is really low unless HE is 5' tall
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I ate all that 98% "crap" foods you stated OP and guess what I improved my heart issues to a minor issues, now to almost no issues!! Ha!!! :laugh:

CW, the OP wasn't asking about our opinions about whether to eat organic. He has made that choice. People eat organic for different reasons. I do not eat 100% organic but do my best especially with the dirty dozen. I do try to limit my processed foods as well, as you know by my diary. Be careful not to push what worked for you because it might not work for others. The reason your heart issues improved is because it isn't carrying around a bunch of weight. But, you can be skinny and be unhealthy. I am not saying you are by any means. Just sayin'.

So!! I'm just saying you don't need "organic" to be healthy!! JS
  • jmv7117
    Options

Yes, my mistake. OP is a he. His weight is of no concern to the discussion of going organic. He did not say he is trying to lose or gain although there is an indication he has gained weight. He also discloses he is on a disability but not the nature which may or may not have an impact on his weight. At any rate, the questions involve help going organic not judgments or advice on his weight, height, or how much he should eat. If he wanted advice on those, he would have asked. Instead he asked about going organic and NO he does not have to justify his reasons for doing so.
  • Glossysweets
    Options
    I eat organically and where I have currently moved I have had to be a little bit more creative and travel a bit more in some instances since I no longer live near a whole foods. If you live near a whole foods or even Trader Joes (I find Trader Joes seems a bit more inexpensive for organic produce) then just be mindful of what you purchase so that it doesn't cost you an "arm and a leg".

I have found the best places to get produce are from Farmer's Markets. I either buy from certified organic, organically grown (ask the vendors, these are people who do not use pesticides or use the "acceptable amounts to be organic" but are not a large operation so they do not want to pay the thousands of dollars in fees to get themselves certified organic), or hydro grown crops (double check again with the vendor that no pesticides are used.

Check for local organic food deliveries to your area. You can often subscribe to a box a week of different sizes and it will arrive at your house the same day each week.

Health food stores often carry nice organic produce, but be wary as they can be fairly expensive.

Also, another one that sometimes helps is Costco. I purchase frozen organic broccoli and mixed veggies as well as organic frozen fruit (I use these for smoothies). They often from time to time have some fresh produce that is organic as well like carrots, mixed greens, apple slices. They carry Organic milk (doesn't mean the cows are ethically treated though), organic eggs (again doesn't mean the chickens are treated ethically - it doesn't mention anything about cage free), organic yogurt sometimes. I also purchase organic rice, organic freekah, organic quinoa, organic olive oli, and even organic tortilla chips. This is a great place to buy some raw ingredients but if you are buying produce make sure you will use it fairly quickly (that can be difficult since they come is such large amounts) because then you will be losing additional nutritional value by just keeping them in your fridge for weeks on end without being consumed.

I hope I was able to help you a bit. My family eats 99% organic with stuff we bring into the house (only exceptions are the occasional bananas instead of organic if I cannot find them or watermelon instead of organic, again same issue).

Good luck.
  • Acg67
    Options

Yes, my mistake. OP is a he. His weight is of no concern to the discussion of going organic. He did not say he is trying to lose or gain although there is an indication he has gained weight. He also discloses he is on a disability but not the nature which may or may not have an impact on his weight. At any rate, the questions involve help going organic not judgments or advice on his weight, height, or how much he should eat. If he wanted advice on those, he would have asked. Instead he asked about going organic and NO he does not have to justify his reasons for doing so.

And if he didn't think those were somehow relevant to the discussion, he would not have listed them, right? No one said he has to justify his rationale, just that the logic behind it was irrational and without evidence. This is actually somewhat important being that he's on a fixed income and could likely save a lot more money by not going organic, as to this date there is no real solid evidence it offers any health benefits whatsoever.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I ate all that 98% "crap" foods you stated OP and guess what I improved my heart issues to a minor issues, now to almost no issues!! Ha!!! :laugh:

CW, the OP wasn't asking about our opinions about whether to eat organic. He has made that choice. People eat organic for different reasons. I do not eat 100% organic but do my best especially with the dirty dozen. I do try to limit my processed foods as well, as you know by my diary. Be careful not to push what worked for you because it might not work for others. The reason your heart issues improved is because it isn't carrying around a bunch of weight. But, you can be skinny and be unhealthy. I am not saying you are by any means. Just sayin'.

But one thing I have noticed since u have lost your weight is that you r unkind on the forums. Anyway, u do look great but we do disagree about how eating organic is healthy and that is ok.
  • Acg67
    Options

But one thing I have noticed since u have lost your weight is that you r unkind on the forums. Anyway, u do look great but we do disagree about how eating organic is healthy and that is ok.

Why is it healthier?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Why is it healthier?

I'd like to know this too.

The only benefit to eating organic is that naturally-occurring pesticides are the only ones used in production. It's only beneficial for the environment.

With that said, OP, the only things certified organic are produce and meats with the USDA Organic sticker on it. Anything else labeled organic, whether it be shampoo or soap, is only using the word "organic" so you'll buy it. It's not certified.
  • WildCatClimbs
    WildCatClimbs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Going organic is a great idea, it has proven to be healthier(more nutrients) and better for the environment. If you want to do it as affordably as possible you can try a few things:

Organic meat and dairy are the most important, as the harmful antibiotics and drugs are stored in the animals tissue, can't wash that away!

It is also cheaper to buy directly from a farmer if you have the storage space and the ability. We bought 1/4 of a grass fed pastured cow from a local rancher, and it showed up freezer packed in a variety of cuts, bones, and ground beef for 4.99/lb, and we got about 120lbs of meat this way. For the two of us, this lasts 9-12 months.

Follow the dirty dozen and clean fifteen rule when buying produce, as a previous poster mentioned, this will cut down on a lot of pesticide consumption

Buy produce IN SEASON. Strawberries are three times more money if you want them in December rather than in July. Also, generally avoid expensive produce, like cherries. Yes they are delicious, but they are always a FORTUNE. Or, if you want typically expensive fruit out of season, buy frozen organic fruit and add to smoothies! Whole Foods 365 organic has a ton of great frozen produce for very competitive prices. Costco does as well, I buy most of my frozen organic veggies from Costco.

Remember, do the best you can, and don't sweat it if you aren't "perfect" about it, no one is, we all just do our best to be as healthy as we can! :)
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Why is it healthier?

It was just my decision to begin eating more organic because of cancer two years ago. It is why I started lifting and losing weight because my cancer was hormone fed. Hormones live in fat. My husband and I just did a lot of research on how to eat to avoid cancer. Right or wrong, causes cancer or not, we are better off now than we were two years ago. My resting heart rate is down to 68 compared to 85 two years ago and I still have 50 lbs to go. I am not attributing that the organic eating I am just saying it is one of the things we are doing. Even IF it doesn't prevent cancer I feel better for my change in lifestyle. I don't eat whatever just to fit it in my macros I eat to live a healthy lifestyle. I am trying to teach my boys that yes you can have a candy bar every once in a while but for the majority of the time let's make wise choices. There is a difference between eating cookies and ice cream for dessert every night and choosing something more healthy. I have my cheat meal every week but that is to keep me sane. I have dieted all my life but not anymore. I dont claim to be an expert. I am just trying to do the beat I can. I truly believe there is something to choosing free range chicken and eggs and etc. Who really knows? Everyone has a website and an opinion. Anyway, it would just be nice if people could just answer questions on the forum instead of being unkind to OP all the time.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Organic costs a TON, so I don't really have a lot of tips on how to do it on a budget bc I haven't figured that out myself. But here are some ideas:
    For snacks you can do things like make your own kale chips and roasted chickpeas.
    Costco sells organic ground beef, milk, broth and frozen berries at a decent price.
    Trader Joe's has good prices on convenience food.
    Whole Foods has great prices on organic canned food.
  • jmv7117
    Options

Why is it healthier?

The only benefit to eating organic is that naturally-occurring pesticides are the only ones used in production. It's only beneficial for the environment.

With that said, OP, the only things certified organic are produce and meats with the USDA Organic sticker on it. Anything else labeled organic, whether it be shampoo or soap, is only using the word "organic" so you'll buy it. It's not certified.

Assuming of course the OP is in the US but even then there are other organic certifications that may show on label aside of the USDA one. The organic certification is only as good as the certifying agency of which I will withhold my opinion of the USDA.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I live in a third world country and considered lower middle class,my food budget won't strech enough to allow 100% organic without starving self and family.but if you can do what you ant to do,then good for you.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Going organic is a great idea, it has proven to be healthier(more nutrients)

When did this happen?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I love face palm worthy posts.

Also the white knights that go all butt hurty.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Why is it healthier?

Assuming of course the OP is in the US but even then there are other organic certifications that may show on label aside of the USDA one. The organic certification is only as good as the certifying agency of which I will withhold my opinion of the USDA.

Probably a good idea.

But since it is the only regulating authority in the US, any other product that slaps the word "organic" on its product is simply using it as a marketing strategy. I'll trust USDA over some company trying to sell me something, and some third-party certifying agency that isn't regulated.