Body fat %- how do you find yours?

Options
I tried the measuring method but was absolutely shocked to get 25% body fat... I KNOW I don't have that much, just out of principle. Maybe when I was heavier I did, but I've lost a good amount of fat already and I know that yet the number went from 25.2% when I was 116 pounds to 24.9% now, 9 pounds lighter.

So my question is: how do you personally figure out your bf%? Scale? Calipers? Doctor tell you? Floating water test thing?

I don't know that I can afford a nice, body fat % scale but I've also heard those aren't really great indicators anyway. Is there any accurate way?!

Replies

• bridgettesweightloss
    Options
    what's the measuring method? i would love to get an estimate on mine! i don't have a fancy scale or gym or anything either :P
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    visual estimation
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    what's the measuring method? i would love to get an estimate on mine! i don't have a fancy scale or gym or anything either :P

just taking certain measurements with a tape measure, I think if you look up body fat calc it should be one of the first results.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Calipers are notoriously bad. Scales can be a few percentage points off, but most are consistent, and that's enough to tell by how much you're improving. For me, I can deal with not being sure whether I have 22%, 23%, 24%, 25%, 26%, 27%, or 28% body fat. I'm far enough from my goal, it's more important to know whether I'm trending in the right direction and by how much. When it says I went from 25% body fat to 23% body fat, I know I've actually lost 2% body fat! Scales can do that for you.

I also use a measuring tape. A smaller tummy's usually good!

DEXA and BodPod are the gold standards, if you have $75 to spend and really want to know. :)
  • karmac0matic
    Options
    Thank you. maybe with the extra hours I've been getting at work I can put the money towards a scale. :)
  • jtkatch
    jtkatch Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Body fat percentage is one way to determin if you are losing fat and gaining mucle. The scales that you stand on with bare feet uses bioelectrical impedence, that is a current running up one leg down to the other. The faster it travels the less body fat you have and the lower the number the sclae will read. However, a couple of aspect play a role in its accuracy, if you are constipated and retaining water such as during that time of month ladies!! But it is uslly pretty accurate.

The caipers are the most reliable because it is not affected by water rentetion, constipation etc...BUT you need to have someone well trained to pinch you, plus unfortunately if you are too heave there is too much to pinch and threfore this method is not ideal for you.

BM! is one way to determin if you are in healthy weight zone however it does not take into account lean muscle mass, and as we know muscle weighs more than fat you can be fit, and full of lean muscle but weigh at the top end of your BMI zone and be called 'obese' YIKES!!!

Using the measuring tape is a good way to determin if you are losing inches, hopefully it is usually fat you are losing. so in combination with a basic scale to weigh yourslef along with measure yuour waist hips thighs and upper arms is a good indication of success.

Dont forget how you feel in your clothes. it is always the best measuring tool.

If you wanted to you can always go into a gym or a clinic who has a TANITA body composition scale and ask if you can be evalauted. You can try this and if they say yes then you can do this every 3 months or so.

I really like TANITA sclaes but they can be costly.

There is a website called www.bizcals.com that is pretty interesting.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've had several DEXA's. Last time I had one it was just shy of 50% - now I'm 45.5lbs lighter, and I hope that's mostly fat, since I've taken up weights and protein to maintain my muscle. I'm having another DEXA in late summer, by when I should have a normal BMI, so I'm pretty excited about what it'll show!
  • Robyn7762
    Robyn7762 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have a scale that measures BMI, Bone density, and % of water....got it at Wally World for under $50.00...it's a Health-O-Meter! Works great and I've had it for 2 years.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I used the bod pod
  • karmac0matic
    Options
    I have a scale that measures BMI, Bone density, and % of water....got it at Wally World for under $50.00...it's a Health-O-Meter! Works great and I've had it for 2 years.
    That's great! I'll check and see if they have any at my local Wally World :D
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    The only accurate way to determine your body fat% is hydrostatic testing.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You wont be able to argue with the figure a DEXA gives you.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I get my BF% from the measuring tape method following the US Navy Guidelines for how to do it. I have lots of experience with this technique as I was in the Navy for a decade.

I have twice compared my measuring tape BF numbers with the hydrostatic dunk tank method and they are pretty close. Within 1% of each other so I feel really good that the measuring tape is pretty close.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Also most expensive way.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I get my BF% from the measuring tape method following the US Navy Guidelines for how to do it. I have lots of experience with this technique as I was in the Navy for a decade.

I have twice compared my measuring tape BF numbers with the hydrostatic dunk tank method and they are pretty close. Within 1% of each other so I feel really good that the measuring tape is pretty close.

can you send me a link with this info?
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Also most expensive way.

DEXA. Equally expensive, though.

Here's what I did. I volunteered (twice) at a local university for their physiological protocols regarding environmental exposure. That's a fancy way of saying " we're going to make you really hot or really cold and see what your body responds". Both cases included a VO2 max test, useful to determine fitness and workout ranges. And a body mass analysis. For "free", if you discount the cost of two half-days of testing. I've never been as cold as the two-hour cold water exposure test. I wasn't allowed to shiver during the test "avoid it if possible". No problem, I shivered for about 4 hours afterward. But hey, at least there were no muscle biopsies involved.

I got my body assessed, then compared it to a body-fat scale, and fiddled with the data. Now I know how much the scale is off by.
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    DEXA scan - only way to be really sure

Just had one done 2 weeks ago so I could baseline where I am at as the scale is not moving - I have a goal going back in 6 weeks to scan again

Best money I have spent - no guessing just real accurate reporting, also tells you bone density, lean mass, overall mass and FAT...:frown:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    dexa

or just take measurements and see if they are increasing or decreasing. caliper %'s are BS. Bioimpedance devices will vary greatly depending on hydration.

take pics and estimate.

The number doesn't matter. What matters is that you are progressing to your goals.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    bod pod is used by pro athletes