Macros?

Options
Could someone please give a simple explanation of what macro are. I have been researching and seen several different answers here. Thanks.

Replies

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    People generally refer to macros as the specific nutrients/vitamins myfitnesspal recommends for you. These include proteins, carbohydrates, fats, and even macrominerals such as sodium and calcium. The reason you get so many answers is probably because there are so many different macronutrients out there!
  • James9090
    James9090 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yeah tell me about it. Seems to have a different definition for everyone. Tthere are people on here who just worry about their macro ratios instead of calories and most of them seem to be in excellent shape.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    When people talk about macronutrients, they're referring to protein, fat, and carbohydrates.

As mentioned above, some people do also choose to track fiber, macrominerals (usually sodium) or other micronutrients (vitamins and minerals), but you get all of your calories from protein, fat, and carbs. Protein and carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram, and fat contains 9 calories per gram.

Many people here follow an IIFYM (if it fits your macros) approach to eating, which means they focus on hitting their macro goals. Focusing on macros generally means eating a moderate, balanced diet, and it can be used to lose, maintain, or gain weight, depending on your fitness goals. Because of the calorie value of macronutrients, if you hit or stay within your macro goals every day, you will also hit or stay within your calorie goal.
  • James9090
    James9090 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank for the explanation. I think I am starting to get the logic. It might be time to not only watch calories, but the macronutrients as well.

When people talk about macronutrients, they're referring to protein, fat, and carbohydrates.

As mentioned above, some people do also choose to track fiber, macrominerals (usually sodium) or other micronutrients (vitamins and minerals), but you get all of your calories from protein, fat, and carbs. Protein and carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram, and fat contains 9 calories per gram.

Many people here follow an IIFYM (if it fits your macros) approach to eating, which means they focus on hitting their macro goals. Focusing on macros generally means eating a moderate, balanced diet, and it can be used to lose, maintain, or gain weight, depending on your fitness goals. Because of the calorie value of macronutrients, if you hit or stay within your macro goals every day, you will also hit or stay within your calorie goal.
  • klreiland
    klreiland Posts: 14
    Options
    I see that different diets have different expectations about macro ratios. Some diets are high protein, low carb. Some are high carb, low protein. Have any of you customized your macro settings or do you all use the default settings from MFP?
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I see that different diets have different expectations about macro ratios. Some diets are high protein, low carb. Some are high carb, low protein. Have any of you customized your macro settings or do you all use the default settings from MFP?

A popular ratio is 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein, so many people have customized their settings that way. Mine is pretty close to that, but the percentage settings can be customized to better reflect your eating habits. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Macro-nutrients are:

- Carbohydrates
    - Fat
    - Protein

Micro-nutrients are...pretty much everything else...

- Sugar
    - Fiber
    - Vitamins
    - Minerals

These are micro-nutrients in that they are the smaller (micro) elements that make up the larger (macro) nutrients noted above.