time be more specific then general weight loss?

Options
Hi!
First off. Im 5'9. Male. 27. Currently weighing about 160 lbs. And been dieting using this wonderfull app for around 3 weeks. Lost 10lbs but not had the third weigh in due saturday so hoping more. Big loss the first week and decent the second. I dont do that much daily exercise and my job puts me sometimes in a seat in a room. Sometimes pottering around. So I estimated my calorie requirement at 1700 using the app. Therefore my diet has been in the 1200 to 1300 per day target. One or two days at the start I hit 1700. And one I went way over. But put them behind me and im more focused now.

Ill try and get a picture up soon. But I have some fat on the gut. The handles. And the moob area! In a perfect world id have the tobey maguire spidey type figure. Not major cut but you know. Ive been happy with the weight loss so far. But im not sure what else I should be doing or what to do next. I dont currently exercise as I didnt want to do it from the start incase my weight didnt move or moved less due to muscle. Im not very educated in this field. So not sure on the rate of mass gain.

My questions are.....
Should I now be exercising? I do a little at work 3 times a week or so. Well I started this week. Not major just 4 sets of 7 or 8 pull ups and 4 sets or 15 push ups. Get me a bit flustered. Just doing this to get a head start on the working out phase when I get there.

Should I be worried weather im losing fat or muscle? No good losing weight if I look no better for it due to it being the wrong weight.

My initial thoughts were.... drop the weight. Then build the muscle. At least then even on the scales I will see progress.

My concerns were with doing both at the same time. Working out meal plans taking in to account muscle build and how much calories id need(im guessing ill need muscle build as I havent seen them.... ever! Haha. Always struggled with man boobs since I was little. But only just trying to get into good shape.)
And the scales not changing due to gain and dis heartening me.

I know its a long post but many thanks to anyone who took the time to read/and help me out.

Replies

• mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Start lifting now to prevent muscle loss as you lose fat (you will still lose some). It will put you off for a few weeks while your body adjusts (water weight) but it is much easier to keep the muscle you have rather than trying to build new muscle (and fat).
  • jmorgangrice
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.
    Better get some weights in this weekend.

Do I need to up my calories from 1200 then? Or change my ratio to have more protein? Im at around 50.25.25 at moment.

Should I buy a calorie counter to get an accurate requirement?
  • mikemc620
    Options
    You want to aim for about 1g per pound of LBM (lean body mass) or even just 1g per lb, so I would say about 160g for you. You would want to up your calories a little bit, but a calorie counter wouldnt be necessary. Give it 3-4 weeks for your weight to stabilize again after you start lifting. Weigh yourself about every 2 weeks and you can adjust your calories by 100-200 if you aren't losing weight.
  • mikemc620
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

You can use the calculator here to determine your daily calories. I would say that you would be closer to 1900 cal/day given that you were to exercise 3 times a week.
  • jmorgangrice
    Options
    I have no idea what my LBM is. Ill have a google and look. 1g protein per pound? What about fats and carbs? Is this info always the same? I ask because I dont want to bother you with too much info I could easily find on google. But I wasnt sure if the ratios altered depending on circumstance.

3 times a week was only starting this week. And it hasnt been a 30 minute workout or anything. Just a few sit ups and press ups. Thats why my original was 1700. Was I right to drop 400 calories to lose weight initially?
    Another thought. I was losing weight to lose fat. If im gonna start working out. Should I be wanting to lose weight? Sounds daft I know but I cant see me being that muscular at 150 lbs. Then again I have no idea what a 150lb 5'9 muscular male would look like!

J
  • mikemc620
    Options
    Take a look at the website, it gives alot of good information regarding your food. I have generally followed 1g protein per pound and between 0.4-0.5 g fat per pound. Fill in the rest of your calories with carbs. As to whether or not to bulk or cut, it all depends. You can start of bulking if you don't mind adding a little more fat right now. If not, start your cut first. I have no idea without a picture.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    if this thread is real (and i have serious doubts) you get no workout advice until you get your calories into an acceptable range. you claim you're using the app but there's ZERO chance that the app told a 160 pound male to eat 1200 calories an any day, ever. fix your food intake before you hurt yourself
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    For exercise, do this: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

To estimate body fat % (you can then find LBM if you like), get a tape measure and use this: http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

Don't worry about your weight, worry about losing fat.
  • jmorgangrice
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I assure you thats what the app says. It started at 1700 caloroes estimated for my day to day. I was advised to hit upto 500 cal lower than this to drop weight. Well I read in various places. I hit my target in a week. But looking in the mirror the target clearly wasnt enough. So I updated the target to something more ambitious. Which updated to appx 1200. Which id been having anyway. So just stuck to it. It is on 2lb per week but I only did that as my initial drop was high. I took the reason as id pretty much ate crap al my life and the shock of the salads etc gave me a boost.
    Having a potter around im not really bothered about dropping weight as looking at photos id probably be just as heavy with some decent muscle.
    Im now in panic mode. Gonna buy a cheap bench and clean garage out this weekend.
    Only had 1 meal left today so threw a chicken breast in there for some extra caloroes/protein. Couldnt do much more last minute.
    Ill upload a photo shortly. Just gonna bath and bed the kid.
    Gonna reassess the diet tomorrow and try and work out a diet and gym plan. Thanks also for the links.

J

J
  • DavPul
    Options
    Everything you just wrote proves that you aren't following the app correctly. Unless it was the app that advised you to eat 500 calories than what the app recommended that you eat? And then advised you to set a "more ambitious" target?

I don't know who you're getting this terrible terrible terrible advice from but I strongly encourage you to delete their number from your phone. Not even kidding.

Set mfp to lose 1/2 pound per week and start doing stronglifts.
  • jmorgangrice
    Options
    Thanks for this. Am I correct in thinking now that the app means 1700 including the 500 reduction? Think I rushed into it a bit too excited!

Edit: Pics updated

Edit: Apparently 29% Body Fat?

J
  • DavPul
    Options
    The app has the deficit already built in, correct. It's total plug and play. Input your info and then eat till you hit the number it gives you. No additional machinations required
  • jmorgangrice
    Options
    Thanks. I guess it might help. Ill up my food a little then consider a supplement once im lifting to make up the calories. I may shoot to not lose weight In the app. Just change my ratio to something appropriate.

Or am I still supposed to be putting a reduction In to lose the fat?

J
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I guess it might help. Ill up my food a little then consider a supplement once im lifting to make up the calories. I may shoot to not lose weight In the app. Just change my ratio to something appropriate.

J

I'd suggest a mild reduction. That is why DavPaul said to tell MFP you want to lose 0.5lb per week.
  • DavPul
    Options

J

Q3Uge7J.gif
  • jmorgangrice
    Options
    I see. Thanks again.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.
  • jmorgangrice
    Options
    Thanks. Im considering stopping losing. Well, cutting where I am and just re assess when I can actually see some muscle. Looking at my build I imagine I may actualy want to get slightly bigger. But as im a total novice ill give it 1 step at a time. The new calculations show me 1860. When I put in the minimum weight loss. So guess ill adjust to that. Weights will be collected this weekend for the garage.

So im right in thinking I need 1g per lb protein? Should I be looking into the macros? I put 40c 30P 30f in the app (saw online for cutting) and it estimates 140g protein. Which isnt enough. Should I edit the protein section of macros and lower one of the other two to make protein 160g? It may be slightly less when I weigh in tomorrow.
    Edit. Can anybody reccomend a good uk supplement? For days where I dont eat enough of one thing or the other?
    Ill use the calculators on my break as the signals a little poor at work.
    J