Is it actually bad to drink your calories?

2»

Replies

• jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    It's not bad, it's just that you don't get as much satisfaction as you get from food.

This is how I feel about drinking calories.

I'd rather have a chicken breast then a can of pop.

Those people who drink smoothies as meal replacements are special people to me. After I drink a smoothie I'm already thinking "OK, where is the rest of my breakfast" but in reality I've just consumed a 300 cal drink which doesn't allow for much more breakfast food :(

To each their own though. Find whatever works for you!
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    its really just because calories in liquid form tend to be less filling and its easier to take in too many calories more or less by accident if your drinking them.

if it all fits into your over all calorie picture, then its a total non-issue

This ^^ I can suck a 500 calorie shake down really quick and still feel hungry.

But it has its advantages too. You can ingest and absorb nutrients quickly for recovery after a hard workout this way.
  • I drank all my calories for eight weeks and lost fifteen pounds. I also had a broken jaw. :glasses:

I felt great though, despite the broken jaw.

Now who wants to break my jaw for me? :laugh:
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Not sure what you mean. If the calories are coming from tequila, then yeah it's pretty bad for you. A protein shake, some fresh veggie juice, or a fresh smoothie are fine in moderation.

How is it bad? If you don't go over your calories it's not bad. Stop demonizing food.

OP: Of course it's not bad. I play sports, and when I do I drink stuff like gatorade because it's an easier way to fuel my body than eating something.
    I don't drink much in calories if I'm just having a meal but there's no reason why you can't.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Hearing people say not to drink alcohol makes me sad.

I know right??!! :drinker:
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    its really just because calories in liquid form tend to be less filling and its easier to take in too many calories more or less by accident if your drinking them.

if it all fits into your over all calorie picture, then its a total non-issue

This ^^ I can suck a 500 calorie shake down really quick and still feel hungry.

But it has its advantages too. You can ingest and absorb nutrients quickly for recovery after a hard workout this way.

Yep, although I'm not a smoothie fan I do agree with this and have post workout drinks for this reason.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    It depends on your goals, what you're drinking and how much you're drinking. Unfortunately a lot of the calories we drink are pretty bad for you: soda, processed fruit juice, booze, milkshakes, iced coffee drinks and so on. With a these kinds of drinks it's easy to consume a lot of calories without getting very full. Meanwhile you aren't getting any nutritional value from a soda.

If you have a drink that does have some nutritional value and that you are going to consume in a proper serving, go for it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Nope.

Milk, juice, chocolate milk, Yoohoo, fruit smoothies, beer....all calorifically yummy!