Staying fit to fight cancer

Options
My goal is to lose only 6 pounds, but I have to run off the fat. That may take 6 weeks. After losing 40 pounds in 2006, I learned that I had breast cancer. I refused chemo because I had sized down 5 dress sizes and knew that the toxins with the treatment would just cause me to gain back the weight, or KILL me! I'm still here! Luckily, I found a doctor who has a nutrition program that keeps me in remission. I eat off the low-glycemic index, and eat very little dairy, or gluten. My goal is simple--eat healty and be cancer-free! It really serves as a motivator! I'm trying to run off those Holiday pounds, and shrink my serving sizes back--the trick is--eat breakfast right when you get up--SMALL servings, every 3 hours--5 meals a day...and EXERCISE everyday. If you're not used to it, just increase your activity. Keep it simple. Breathe better and feel good. Believe me, it really is great to be alive! I don't miss the cake, cookies, or sugar in my tea. I like this program because I'm counting calories for the first time ever and we can set goals and track progress. My trainer says if you're not losing, drink more water--build up to 4 liters a day!!!

Replies

• HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    You're in remission? That's great! Congratulations!

Since you said you didn't do chemo, what did you do to beat it? Was it strictly diet modification? I have a friend that beat inoperable cervical cancer by using 100 natural methods. It took a year for her to get cancer-free and she's been healthy for just over a year. If you'd like to compare notes or get ideas for healthy recipes, check out her Website... www.janevanbenthusen.com. She's awesome!
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story and tips......Best wishes to you:)
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. It's amazing how our diet can alter our well being. And congrats on being cancer free
  • mvellis
    mvellis Posts: 19
    Options
    I had surgery, of course, and was only in stage 1--2. I was lucky to find a physician whose been treating cancer with nutrition for 25 years. He recommends an alkaline diet, which I follow. That was 4 years ago--so far, so good.
  • mvellis
    mvellis Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the website. I'll check it out.
  • BohemianBeadMomma
    Options
    I'm new on this site. I was just diagnosed with breast cancer and hoping to avoid the poison also. Your story gives me more hope. I gave up sugar the day I was diagnosed, including alcohol. I also gave up red meat and began eating a more plant based diet. I've read several things online saying an alkaline diet can kill cancer but I can't find a doctor locally who will support that decision. May I ask more information about the alkaline diet you follow? There is a lot of conflicting information online. Drink reverse osmosis water, not spring. Drink spring and not reverse osmosis. Eat pineapple, don't eat pineapple. Eat soy, don't eat soy, etc. etc. etc. I'm confused and overwhelmed.