Lovehandles

Options
wisperxo
wisperxo Posts: 11 Member
Hey everyone!
My biggest problem right now is my lovehandles and I was wondering if any of y'all had any tips to help get rid of them? Or is it just straight cardio?

Thanks xx

Replies

• MandyH1991
    MandyH1991 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    No joke, I used to just hold 5 pound weight in each hand and stretch side to side & noticed them toning up.
  • fittoday14
    fittoday14 Posts: 128
    Options
    side lunges & the one where you stand up and then raise one leg at a time to the side (as high as you can go).
  • wisperxo
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice(:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Losing fat is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest of it is still wet. You won't magically lose your love handles doing special exercises.

This thread applies to love handles as well: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • wisperxo
    Options
    Thank you!
  • wisperxo
    Options
    I know I was just wondering if there were specific exercises to help burn the fat or if the only thing that would get rid of them is cardio.
    Thank you xx
  • fittoday14
    fittoday14 Posts: 128
    Options
    on youtube, check out 'Cellulite figthing workout #20 - Standing abs & love handles' by Pavla Perfectleanbody
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Ummm...

Calorie Deficit

and proper fitting pants.

That's really all you need to do

oh and cannot forget patience
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Also, these (weighted side bends) don't make your waist or love handles smaller. They firm your obliques:
    42199-1_asl.jpg

If you try them with a weight in each hand you are doing them wrong.
    NOT HOW TO DO THEM:
    1106-mv-db-side.jpg
  • wisperxo
    Options
    Maybe you've been blessed and don't have a body type like mine, but regardless if I'm butt-naked I still have a muffin top. It's just where my fat is- proper fittings pants or not.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I know I was just wondering if there were specific exercises to help burn the fat or if the only thing that would get rid of them is cardio.
    Thank you xx

Cardio doesn't "get rid of fat" a calorie deficit does. Cardio can increase the deficit slightly and is good for the heart and lungs. A full body resistance training/weight lifting routine does wonders for how you look.
  • ashenriver
    Options
    Also, these (weighted side bends) don't make your waist or love handles smaller. They firm your obliques:
    42199-1_asl.jpg

NOT HOW TO DO THEM:
    1106-mv-db-side.jpg

Thanks for this, I was doing them wrong
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Ummm...

Calorie Deficit

and proper fitting pants.

That's really all you need to do

oh and cannot forget patience

This especially. I've seen thin women with love handles and muffin top just because they want to wear a certain size of pants.
  • wisperxo
    Options
    Thank you xx

Cardio doesn't "get rid of fat" a calorie deficit does. Cardio can increase the deficit slightly and is good for the heart and lungs. A full body resistance training/weight lifting routine does wonders for how you look.

good to know, thank you xx
  • greentray
    greentray Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I went to the gym regular. The body builders showed me a tip. Get an old broom handle place it behind your shoulders and hands at widest but comfy grip. The twist your waist to the right then left slowly. 3x20 reps.
  • Kinseykick
    Kinseykick Posts: 59
    Options
    Bump since I have the same issue :P
  • ashenriver
    Options
    I have not been blessed in any way and I have a muffin top,

so working on that with calorie deficit and I wear pants that hide them,

Can't be tight or low rise.
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    42199-1_asl.jpg

NOT HOW TO DO THEM:
    1106-mv-db-side.jpg

I got told these are not good on your spine...it's not a natural movement be carefull
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    When I went to the gym regular. The body builders showed me a tip. Get an old broom handle place it behind your shoulders and hands at widest but comfy grip. The twist your waist to the right then left slowly. 3x20 reps.

just to reiterate:
    Losing fat is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest of it is still wet. You won't magically lose your love handles doing special exercises.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Sidebends, trunk twists, (insert ab exercise) won't spot reduce love handles.

It takes an overall lowered BF% by:

Reasonable Caloric Deficit + Work (Compound lifting + cardio) + patience.

You can get there with 1 and 3, but would most likely would be happier if all 3 are incorporated.

You can do 10,000 sidebends or 10,000 trunk twists, but if your body has fat in other areas it wants to burn from first, it will. There are full body workouts that are much more efficient for burning cals and maintaining muscle mass (basically lowering BF%) than direct core work.