BS Calorie Suggestions Have Me Frustrated

Options
I have been using MFP for 5 or 6 weeks. When I first signed up and entered my goals it was recommended that I net 1200 calories a day (I am 4'11" started at 150 lbs and want to be 130 lbs.). I have been doing this, and eating back my calories from working out but have been getting lightheaded while exercising and experiencing a lot of headaches.

After a lot of research and I have found that my actual net calories should be no less than 1700 a day (some BMR calculators suggest 1900). I am actually pretty annoyed that I have been potentially slowing my metabolism by following the MFP suggestions.

Anyone else experience extremely low net suggestions? Did you gain weight back when you upped your intake to a healthy amount?

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You did not slow your metabolism that drastically, if at all in the period of a few weeks.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    You'll probably see a little gain as your body gets used to the new calorie intake. Wait about 4 weeks and reassess. Also, I would suggest you read this. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    What did you choose for your weight loss per week?

And did you pick the correct activity level? Did you pick Sedentary? if so, are you really sedentary?
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you the calorie goal based on what you enter. If you entered that you wanted to lose less per week, it would give you higher calories. It just goes by the math....
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP for 5 or 6 weeks. When I first signed up and entered my goals it was recommended that I net 1200 calories a day (I am 4'11" started at 150 lbs and want to be 130 lbs.). I have been doing this, and eating back my calories from working out but have been getting lightheaded while exercising and experiencing a lot of headaches.

After a lot of research and I have found that my actual net calories should be no less than 1700 a day (some BMR calculators suggest 1900). I am actually pretty annoyed that I have been potentially slowing my metabolism by following the MFP suggestions.

Anyone else experience extremely low net suggestions? Did you gain weight back when you upped your intake to a healthy amount?
    That would not have slowed down your metabolism.

Were you comparing apples to apples when entering in the information?
    Depending on what you did, MFP could give you the calorie suggestion to lose 1-2 lbs a week, and if you are looking on other site what your BMR is yo uwill seee a difference because that could be the min cals you need to maintain
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You're going to need far fewer calories than taller people.

It's a guess based on limited knowledge, but your TDEE is probably around 1800 calories (based on IIFYM's calculators). Try eating at a steady 1450 for a bit and don't worry about eating back exercise calories. If you want, you can slowly reduce over the next couple weeks instead of jumping to this low of a calculation right off the bat.
  • Cucculuccia
    Cucculuccia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That is encouraging LolBro Science. I am coming on my 10 year anniversary of recovery from anorexia and compulsive exercising (5-6 hours a day), so I am really concerned about falling into unhealthy habits in an attempt to get fit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Netting 1700 will probably make you maintain or gain weight... that's a lot of calories!

If you don't like MFP, you can use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/, it includes exercise though... and it's pretty similar to MFP + exercise.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You did not slow your metabolism in the period of a few weeks.

True!^

MFP is not "BS"............but it's DIFFERENT than TDEE.

TDEE includes exercise up front......MFP has you "earn" calories thru exercise. For MFP......you exercise....you log it....you should eat more.

MFP takes "I want to lose XX pounds per week" as part of it's calculation while TDEE has you take a percentage off. This percentage can be anywhere from 30% (extremely overweight) to 5% (close to goal). This % is similar to "I want to lose 2 pounds a week".......or "I want to lose 1/2 pound a week."

The problem is many people choose 2 pounds a week when 1 (or even 1/2 pound) is more appropriate. MFP then DEFAULTS to 1200. Sometimes 1200 is user error.
  • Dalker
    Dalker Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Same here, 1200 calories made me dizzy and tired and grumpy.

I'd add calories in bit by bit and see how you feel.

I increased my intake by 100 every week til I found what worked for me. I do adjust my intake depending on how I feel, I've been feeling really tired out by the end of the week and I've been binging at the weekend. This is obviously a self control issue but I think eating too little does make it harder to stick to. I'm now on 1550 and not feeling wiped out, with a very slow loss (don't have much to lose).

I'm 5'0 and 109lbs btw.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    That calculator was probably telling you to eat 1700 rather than net 1700.
  • spikedholly
    spikedholly Posts: 38
    Options
    I've been eating at my BMR - 1500 for a month and have lost 5.2 lbs so far which is fine with me.

I don't use my TDEE (activity level) numbers because, like I've heard before - many people over-count their exercise. So, I'd rather log the exercise and eat the calories back when/if I'm hungry.

Seems to be working just fine, for me anyway.

I used this calculator to figure the number.

(http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/, I found that My Fitness Pal's version undercuts)

I also eat 6 times a day and drink/sip water in between:

breakfast/snack/lunch/snack/dinner/snack

Each time I eat, I try to have a carb and a protein. It will get me through 2-3 hours until my next meal/snack :)

Good luck :)
  • seventhfloordown
    Options

You should see a doctor if this continues. There are a myriad of reasons you can experience these symptoms. I'm a 5'9", 180 pound male and, when I am cutting down (as I am now, to 170), I fast for 24-hours at a time; then some days, I eat below 1200 calories. I never experience those symptoms, which is why you should seek medical advice.

Be wary of research on the internet. A lot of authoritative-sounding sites are just wrong. My RMR at the stats I listed above is around 1800. If you start eating that many calories, you probably won't lose weight, or you'll lose very slowly (which is actually the BEST way to do it, if you can psychologically handle it). You metabolism is a product of your lean body mass (everything other than body fat) and your body fat, as well as how much you burn through activity. You can't "slow it down" unless you really starve yourself (not eating for days at a time).

My average daily intake (on a cut) with two days totally fasted is around 1300 kcal. This includes two days of about 2500-3000 calories and two days of around 1200 - 1500 calories, and one day of 1800 calories.

I just can't believe that you're eating too little, unless you're doing manual labor all day.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

What calculator did you use?

Plugging in a 29 year old female, who is 4'11" and 150 lbs gave me a BMR of 1312 calories.

If you are sedentary (desk job & couch potato), your TDEE is 1575 calories.
    If you exercise 3x a week, your TDEE is 1805 calories.
    " " 4x a week, 1862 calories.
    " " 5x a week, 1919 calories.

There's no way at 4'11" you can eat 1700 calories and not gain weight.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    That calculator was probably telling you to eat 1700 rather than net 1700.

^This too. TDEE Method includes exercise calories.

MFP is based on the NEAT Method which means you eat back your exercise calories to net the calorie goal they give you.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    LindseyAlyssa Posts: 156
    Options
    Being shorter, Galatea_Stone is most likely correct about your TDEE being around 1800 is you're of average or higher activity. I'm 5'2" but have a quite sedentary lifestyle, and I gain on 1800. I can't see your food diary to see if there's any other cause for your headaches and lightheadedness. In order for me to lose weight (maybe a lb a month) with my current lifestyle, I eat between 1000-1300 calories a day and haven't experienced the same as you. That being said, I also eat very little pre-packaged foods and only drink water. If you weren't getting proper nutrition on 1200 calories, then you definitely would see some adverse side-effects like headaches. It's great you're listening to your body! I'd suggest upping your calories to 1450 and really pay attention to hitting your macros (protein, fat, carbs, etc.) so your body is getting the fuel it needs.
  • UCCrista
    UCCrista Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Getting lightheaded while exercising does not necessarily mean that you are not eating enough. It could be that you are not breathing properly, or are not drinking enough water. It could be that you are overheating. It can also happen if you are exercising excessively after a period of relative rest (trying to run for 1 hour after not running at all for months).

Try to be more aware of what is going on with you while you exercise and throughout the day, in case the lightheaded happens even when you eat more.

Good luck!
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Are you eating anything before you workout? I always have some peanut butter on toast right before my workout and it works perfectly for me. I once only had an apple before my workout and I felt light headed and very dizzy. Lesson learned for me :-)
  • Cucculuccia
    Cucculuccia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will take all this into consideration. I typically have a protein smoothie (protein powder, almond or skim milk, organic lowfat yogurt, and berries) before workouts and aim to drink 96 oz of water a day (as per my urologists suggestion). Thank you for explaining the difference between the types of calories calculators. For now, I have decided to try 1500 for a while and see if it helps with the light headedness and headaches.

I am doing 20-40 minutes of cardio everyday, free weights 3-4x a week, and yoga every night and have lost 7 pounds and 8 inches in 5 weeks, so I know I am on the right track, but I would rather lose slowly and be healthy than to melt it off and fall into old ED patterns,
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Was the research you found backed up by scientific studies?
    If so, do you have links to it, as what you mentioned isn't congruent with the research I've done.

Eating below your BMR means nothing.

Your body doesn't care where they calories get burnt.

If you eat above your BMR but do loads of exercise and don't eat those calories back, it's likley you'll cause a lot more issues than eating below your BMR with a smaller deficit.

1200 is an entirely arbitrary point.
    I suspect for you, as above, it won't be a massive deficit, providing you are eating exercise calories back on top of it.