You're eating healthier, thats awesome!

Options
BUT, don't forget to drink water! Water is so essential and more and more I'm seeing people's diaries with 4, 2, and even 0 cups of water! Take your body weight and divide it in half. That number should be the amount of ounces that you should be drinking a day. At least 9 cups! And if you're exercising, you should drink more. This is so important to your body!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I don't track my water.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    ^^^I don't either. I just drink when I'm thirsty.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I don't track my water.
    Neither do i.

BUt I dont have a problem with drinking enough.

It can be healthy for those out there who, for whatever reasons I cannot understand, just dont drink much water at all.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ain't nobody got time to track water! Seriously... I know I drink enough, no need to make life more complicated.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Ain't nobody got time to track water! Seriously... I know I drink enough, no need to make life more complicated.

Agree!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Drink-all-the-water.jpg
  • leefuuxx
    leefuuxx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I definitely track my water. I at least, at the minimum, try to drink two bottles a day, if not more. :C I don't enjoy drinking water all that much unless I'm thirsty, but I do it anyways, knowing it'll help my body. C:
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    FYI, those guidelines include water in your food and other beverages.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/eight-glasses-water-per-day/
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    BUT, don't forget to drink water! Water is so essential and more and more I'm seeing people's diaries with 4, 2, and even 0 cups of water! Take your body weight and divide it in half. That number should be the amount of ounces that you should be drinking a day. At least 9 cups! And if you're exercising, you should drink more. This is so important to your body!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256

Drinking 4 cups of water daily is more than sufficient.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I don't think water is that important.

that doesn't mean it's not important, I just don't think it's that big of a deal. Drink when thirsty. I go by my pee. If my pee is yellow, I drink. When it's white, I'm good. This generally works pretty well and seems to be a pretty well accepted way of determining thirst, as well as just feeling thirsty. But, people drink way too much water, IMO. Way, way, way too much. The 8 glasses a day thing is a joke. You know that some dude just made that up. There was no study or anything to back it up. He just said it, and then later admitted that it was just made up and is probably too high, but it wont hurt either, so it's stuck ever since.

Yep. And the new guidelines, which estimate that an average-sized woman needs 91 ounces and an average-sized man needs about 125 ounces, include all fluids--meaning, your water, coffee, food, etc. all count toward that total. The unrelenting emphasis on drinking a specific number of ounces of water per day is misinformed and annoying. Shows up almost every day on MFP.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

This isn't always accurate. You can be well hydrated and have fairly dark urine. For example if you are the type to take a megadose of vitamin c when you feel a cold coming on - you may be well-hydrated, but peeing technicolor.
  • ButYouGotMySoul
    ButYouGotMySoul Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I drink tea, and log that. I don't log water, because if I were to log it each time, I'd never be off my phone!!
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Meh. Sometimes I drink a LOT and can't get enough liquid into me (I don't count just plain water as hydration) and other days I get to the end of the day and realize I've only had a few glasses and didn't even realize it.

And often I completely forget to log my water intake in my diary.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

This isn't always accurate. You can be well hydrated and have fairly dark urine. For example if you are the type to take a megadose of vitamin c when you feel a cold coming on - you may be well-hydrated, but peeing technicolor.
    This is true. Nothing is 100%. But, for the most part, pee color is a good indicator. You should be smart enough to know when there are anomalies with it.

I agree that this approach is best and for the record pee should be light yellow (straw coloured NOT clear). If you drink too much water than you dilute the salts in the body (magnesium, sodium, potassium) that are essential for normal celluar functioning. Also, yes if you take certain vitimins it will cahnge the colour of your pee (I've noticed this personally with magnesium) so just get used to the amount that it takes to fully hydrate and don't panic if you observe this effect
  • jeccawest91
    jeccawest91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I disagree here, I feel like water is super essential. You can survive 2 weeks without food but you can only survive 3 DAYS without water. and besides, most of the time when you think you're hungry, really your body is just needing water. I think some of you are not giving good old H2O the proper credit it deserves. I have the Brita water bottle and it hold approx 22oz of water. The only thing I do is count how many times I fill it up and do some simple math. The I can log my water. And if you thinkw ater is not as important, why would MFP have it on there?? AND aiming towards 8/9 eight oz glasses a day?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

This is true. Nothing is 100%. But, for the most part, pee color is a good indicator. You should be smart enough to know when there are anomalies with it.

it's generally a better indicator than thirst.

Typically when you are legitimately thirsty- you're already dehydrated.

(which is a none linear- exponential bit- which is why it's so dangerous)
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I disagree here, I feel like water is super essential. You can survive 2 weeks without food but you can only survive 3 DAYS without water. and besides, most of the time when you think you're hungry, really your body is just needing water. I think some of you are not giving good old H2O the proper credit it deserves. I have the Brita water bottle and it hold approx 22oz of water. The only thing I do is count how many times I fill it up and do some simple math. The I can log my water. And if you thinkw ater is not as important, why would MFP have it on there?? AND aiming towards 8/9 eight oz glasses a day?

Yes, but you get water out of food and other types of drinks too, not just plain H20. The 8 glasses a day thing was just made up and it became a common misconception that everyone needs that. People should just go with how they feel.

Which is why, for me personally, I do drink a ton of water, I feel better. On days when I drink only water I probably drink a gallon. I even drink just water first thing in the morning and it wakes me up better than coffee ever has. However, this is what works for me, not everyone has or wants to drink that much.