HELP! Running/Walking

Options
shiec92
shiec92 Posts: 688 Member
Hi, I've just started walking a lot and possibly want to start running soon.

So I want some advice on trainers, I want some that are reasonably inexpensive as I'm just starting off and a student.
I'm also in the UK so I don't know if that'll vary to what I can get to some of you.

Thanks x

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just started walking a lot and possibly want to start running soon.

So I want some advice on trainers, I want some that are reasonably inexpensive as I'm just starting off and a student.
    I'm also in the UK so I don't know if that'll vary to what I can get to some of you.

Thanks x
    I assume you have these over there, but go to a running specialty shop.

YOu can have 50 diff responses in this thread and get 50 diff suggestions on shoes.

Everyone is diff. A shoe I would recommend could be a shoe that doesnt work well with you. Go to one of those places and you will ave yourself the aggravation and money in getting it right the first time
  • tamzinb10
    tamzinb10 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    In terms of price try Sports Direct - it is ridiculously cheap to get all kinds of workout gear
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    my recommendation si to go to your local running store and pay the big bucks for an analysis, and the 30 day return policy.

Yeah, you will pay $100 bucks for your first pair, but you can change them out with returns until you find "your shoe"

then you can get them cheap online for the rest of your life
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    my recommendation si to go to your local running store and pay the big bucks for an analysis, and the 30 day return policy.

Yeah, you will pay $100 bucks for your first pair, but you can change them out with returns until you find "your shoe"

I havent found the shoes to be any different in price than the normal retail prices when I go to those stores.

and you certainly dont pay for analysis, at least the 2 I would usually go to.
    I paid $80 for the ones that felt the best for me, the exact price that was suggested from the manufacturer

Once you figure out the kind you need an dlike, subsequent pairs can be purchased anywhere and you can search for the price.
  • thefitdiary
    thefitdiary Posts: 10
    Options
    Find out which type of foot arch you have - http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/take-wet-test-learn-your-foot-type

Then go into a sports store and tell them that, if the person has any idea about running they'll be able to help haha, I got mine from sports direct, not toooo expensive, but it has padding in all of the right places.

You need something that makes your foot feel secure and balanced, but not heavy. :) it's just a case of trying them on until you feel supported enough. Or at least, this worked for me haha. :)
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I second sports direct...try on a few and see what feels good. I have spent the last month going back and forth to sport direct trying trainers on and going away to think about them and finally settled on some Nike flex trainers.

You could go and get your gait analysed at a running shop and all that but if you're only just starting out I'd be tempted to just buy a good brand that feels good and a price you can afford :)
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options

yes this is why I will only buy my shoes from a running store. Mine has a 90 day love it or return it policy. see if they ship internationally.

wwww.roadrunnersports.com
  • shiec92
    shiec92 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)