Do you believe in this BMI rubbish?

Options
I can't understand why BMI is still used! Everywhere it's still used. I read this article that this guy who lost 17stone was denied surgery to removed excess skin by the NHS because his BMI was too high despite the fact that he had a lot of muscle and he did not look overweight in the slightest. My BMI is 27- 27.5, and it always gets me down. My friends tell me that I'm a healthy weight but I never believe them. Even when I was skinny my BMI was 23! I really think that BMI takes the mickey and doesn't take into account muscle, frame, bone structure, fitness levels etc. BMI was invented like 200 years ago when people were a lot smaller and a lot malnourished and had smaller frames and less bone density as a result. Plus I thought in those times fat was seen as good and healthy.

What are your views on BMI?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Nope,

<<<<<<<Morbidly Obese.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I think BMI has value as a quick and easy indicator for people who are not at the extremes (really short, really tall, really muscular). It has wide ranges for "healthy", and is relevant for most people, I believe, plus you don't need any special equipment or more than 2 minutes to calculate.

But then, it's only one metric, and realistically, I don't believe you can boil down the diversity of human shape, size and composition to one number.
  • theoncomingstorm6464
    theoncomingstorm6464 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    BMI is not very accurate. My BMI states I'm obese, but my doctor has never told me I was obese. I have very broad chest and shoulders and short. If you google Ronnie Coleman, Mr Olympia, He has a BMI of 41, but it's all muscle.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I can't understand why BMI is still used! Everywhere it's still used. I read this article that this guy who lost 17stone was denied surgery to removed excess skin by the NHS because his BMI was too high despite the fact that he had a lot of muscle and he did not look overweight in the slightest. My BMI is 27- 27.5, and it always gets me down. My friends tell me that I'm a healthy weight but I never believe them. Even when I was skinny my BMI was 23! I really think that BMI takes the mickey and doesn't take into account muscle, frame, bone structure, fitness levels etc. BMI was invented like 200 years ago when people were a lot smaller and a lot malnourished and had smaller frames and less bone density as a result. Plus I thought in those times fat was seen as good and healthy.

BMI does as it's supposed to, it's for populations and actually isn't too bad for sedentary individuals
  • Fat2FitMyDrive
    Fat2FitMyDrive Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think it can be a tool just like anything else. There are to many variables for it to be completely accurate such as water weight, muscle mass, etc etc. However, you cam measure your bf % the old fashioned way "pinch test" and honestly to me that is a better gauge of your overall progress! How can a little handle you hold in hand possibly measure your bmi accurately... LOL!
  • BookofJarom
    BookofJarom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yeah...it seems BMI can be a decent guide, but it has significant flaws.

Example: My older brother is quite a bit heavier (40 or 50 pounds, perhaps) than I am. But it's not fat--it's pure beef...MUSCLE. He's in fantastic shape. I'm in the "normal" BMI range, and I wouldn't be surprised if his BMI showed him as "overweight" or at least borderline between "normal" and "overweight".

Another example: Arnold Schwarzenegger. Apparently he's "obese" on the BMI charts.
    See http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20460621_4,00.html
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

For the vast majority of people, it is a decent indicator of fat level. Like all statistic based measures, there will be outliers. Bodybuilders, especially men, will likely be outliers. It's much less likely for a woman to have a high BMI and not have too much fat.

BMI is not a measure of health, it's an indicator of body fat. Body fat can influence health, but it's still just one variable. It is unfortunate that some insurance companies use it incorrectly, but that is not the fault of the calculation, which has pretty good statistics to back it up as a population based measure.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    BMI works for 90% of the population. If you're outside of the range of the population for whom it works, you already know you are and can adjust for it.

It's not rubbish, but it's not an end-all-be-all for weight either.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options

For the vast majority of people, it is a decent indicator of fat level. Like all statistic based measures, there will be outliers. Bodybuilders, especially men, will likely be outliers. It's much less likely for a woman to have a high BMI and not have too much fat.

BMI is not a measure of health, it's an indicator of body fat. Body fat can influence health, but it's still just one variable. It is unfortunate that some insurance companies use it incorrectly, but that is not the fault of the calculation, which has pretty good statistics to back it up as a population based measure.

I would have to disagree, in my latest body composition test It showed a BF% of 19% and indicated I had 4 lbs of excess fat left to lose. But based on BMI I am still class 1 Obese.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I would have to disagree, in my latest body composition test It showed a BF% of 19% and indicated I had 4 lbs of excess fat left to lose. But based on BMI I am still class 1 Obese.

So, what is it that you disagree with exactly?
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options

That for the vast majority its an indicator of body fat, If I was to base my findings using the BMI it would tell a completely different story than what is really going on... and I would assume I am not in the minority.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    It's not so bad. You want to be <10% BF and morbidly obese at the same time. :o)
  • bcattoes
    Options

That for the vast majority its an indicator of body fat, If I was to base my findings using the BMI it would tell a completely different story than what is really going on... and I would assume I am not in the minority.

But you are not the vast majority, you are one person. Most people with a high BMI are indeed over fat.
  • deliacm
    deliacm Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Any index of body mass that doesn't account for body composition is rubbish, pure and simple!

http://healthland.time.com/2013/08/26/why-bmi-isnt-the-best-measure-for-weight-or-health/
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    no
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I can't understand why BMI is still used!
    If you use your knowledge wisely, it can be quite an affordable tool.

I'm confused regarding the purpose of your post. The title says "Do you believe in this BMI rubbish?", then you state what I quoted, and finally you ask for our thoughts on the topic.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Still the medical community uses this as their guide.
  • nomad1966
    nomad1966 Posts: 74
    Options
    BMI concept is great for the average person with average "this and that"......
    For anyone not fitting in with the "average" crowd (90% of the planet doesn't)....bmi is right the f%#€ out of'r

The pic of me in the orange shirt.... BMI is well over 30...wtf
    I'd be in the hospital if I got my BMI down to the magic 25.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    my daughter is 7 and has defined abs because she's just an active kid and she's skinny enough to see her musculature. her BMI is high. my 4 year old's BMI is also high. i don't put too much stock into it. and thankfully, neither does my pediatrician. he always tells me, 'look, we have policies and i have to tell you about healthy diet and exercise due to their BMI, but they are FINE. look at them. they are both very active, healthy and well within what we'd call normal range. don't worry about it, it is an arbitrary measure that obviously does not matter in their case.' or some iteration of this.

my daughter was a preemie to boot and has always been behind on the growth charts and so while she's only in like the 10th percentile of her peers, she is still an 'obese' kid and has been since age 2.

point is, i take it with a grain of salt.