130 lbs.... unrealistic???

Options
andreascarff
andreascarff Posts: 62 Member
I was told today by my best friend that because of my size I will NEVER be 130 and look healthy. I'm 5'7", and was told by my doctor that 130-135 is the best goal I could go for. Are there any ladies here that are 5'7" and are 130-135 lbs?? I hope my friend isn't just saying that cause she doesn't want me skinnier than her. I would hate for her to think that way, especially when her and I are suppose to be friends.....

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    do what makes you happy and healthy and worry not what she thinks. If you start to drop the weight and feel you are underweight, then stop and maintain, rather than lose anymore.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Height 5' 7"

Normal 121 to 153 lbs

Overweight 159 to 185 lbs.

Obese 191 to 249 lbs.

http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1108048103230.html
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 125, size 4, but I am small-boned. I think my husband would've preferred that I stopped losing weight at a size 6 honestly, but I enjoy being this size and have been successfully maintaining for several months now.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm just short of 5'2'' with a goal of 115-120. So at 5'7'' 130 sounds a bit low to me. But it probably depends on your build and muscles. I'm of a pretty muscular build and can't see myself at the lower end of my normal BMI range (100lb), 118 is in the middle of that range.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I think you should listen to your doctor and not worry about your friend's comments! I mean, how would she know?
  • jigenigma
    jigenigma Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to your friend. Listen to your doctor and your own body. Everyone has a set point--when I drop below mine I feel sick. Keep exercising and eating right and you will find out what works best for your body.
  • Tla0126
    Tla0126 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think you're ahead of yourself. Back up and focus on your day-to-day weight loss efforts and see how you feel as you go along.

Maybe your friend is used to you the way you are and legitimately thinks that you'd be too thin.

If it crosses your mind that she would think that, maybe y'all shouldn't be friends.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I am almost 5'9" My goal is 123. Don't listen to your friends, get there, if you don't like what you see gain a few pounds.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Your friend probably isn't saying that because she doesn't want you skinnier than her, but because numbers, when it comes to weight, look different on different people. Maybe she genuinely thinks you'd look unhealthily thin at that point. I know my weight range (5'9") is like 140-170. It's entirely possible I'd be too skinny at 140 because of my general frame and how I carry my weight. Then again, it might not.

Go for your goal, and reevaluate as you get closer to it. Your friend is just expressing her concerns, but honestly she doesn't really know what you'll look like at 130 either.

Edit: Just searched up my personal range and it's actually 120-170. That's 50 pounds different! The low end might be right, it might not be. I and everyone else will just have to wait and see.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I would just lose until you feel comfortable in your own skin. Maybe thats 130 maybe its 150. Don't worry about the number and just do whats right for you.
  • sjbtiger
    sjbtiger Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I would listen to your doctor. I am 5'7", am currently 132 and definitely not "too skinny." My workouts are almost entirely strength-training and I eat around 1700 calories a day, so certainly not starving myself or killing it with cardio.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and used to be 130-135 lbs when I was at my best weight. It's possible and very healthy (especially if your doctor agrees!). Your friend obviously hasn't done any research on the subject.

Remember your weight is only one aspect of weightloss. Inches and overall health are most important in my books! :flowerforyou:
  • akh1981
    akh1981 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think you're ahead of yourself. Back up and focus on your day-to-day weight loss efforts and see how you feel as you go along.

Maybe your friend is used to you the way you are and legitimately thinks that you'd be too thin.

If it crosses your mind that she would think that, maybe y'all shouldn't be friends.

I agree with all of this.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's really a personal thing. I am 5'6" and last time I saw 130lb I was sick (hyperemetic pregnancy) and literally starving to death. I'm 145 (size 4) now, and it's a happy spot. But that's ME. That's not YOU.
  • One_Last_Time
    One_Last_Time Posts: 125
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and I was 134 for a while. I looked pretty good and I think I would have looked fine at 125-130. I think 130 is a perfectly reasonable goal for someone 5'7.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I have friends on here that are 5'7" and weigh 120. She looks thin, but she doesn't look unhealthy by any means.

I am 5'7", and 130 is unrealistic for me. I desire more muscle than I could have at that weight. It just varies person to person, and it depends largely on what your end goal is.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Height 5' 7"

Normal 121 to 153 lbs

Overweight 159 to 185 lbs.

Obese 191 to 249 lbs.

http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1108048103230.html

<----191 lbs, 5'7" While I can stand to lose some, I'm not obese :laugh: :noway:
  • Running_Spirit
    Options
    5'7 here and 134. :) My lowest was 127 and I looked skeletal, it really depends on your frame! I have a large frame. I fluctuate between 132-134 and that's my maintenance weight.
  • Ariadne83
    Ariadne83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No way, I think go for the weight that feels right for you as long as it's healthy. I'm 5'6 and 127lbs and would like to lose some weight as I feel best at about 120 lbs.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!