How long have you maintained your weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 months to lose my original goal of 44ish pounds. Since then I have lost a few extra while trying to figure maintenance out. I've only been maintaining for a little over a month now. I plan on logging forever. It's the only consistent thing that has helped me lose the weight. I think the benefits far outweigh the pain of logging.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A little over a year now.

From the spring of '12 to the fall of '12 I lost about 15 Lbs on my own just cutting back on sodas and the like...plus coming out of winter and into summer and lighter cooking.

A visit to my doctor in the fall of '12 prompted me to really focus on my diet and nutrition as well as losing weight. Over the subsequent 6 months or so I lost an additional 20 - 25 Lbs with the aid of MFP...so 35 - 40 Lbs gone over the course of about a year...but more importantly, MFP helped teach me how to feed myself and I learned a ton about proper nutrition and fueling my body and fitness, etc.

I started maintaining last April, 2013 and have done so for the last year plus without logging save for a spot check here and there. I continue to rock my nutrition and rock my fitness...I don't eat much differently than I did when I was losing save for an extra bit of junk food here and there as a treat...but basically the difference between my maintenance and losing is a few hundred calories.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I lost about 110 pounds in the course of about 1 year. I didn't track calories. I kept a running tally in my head and chose low calorie food and practiced moderation.

I've maintained for 4 years with what seems like no effort. I still workout a lot but I don't call that effot.

I'm trying to lose 10 more pounds through calorie counting and am struggling with getting the right balance. I am at a weight that I could easily maintain forever.

I stop logging from time to time to give myself a mental break. I also don't eblieve I'm someone who needs to log to maintain. I largely eat the same foods all the time, eat less than I burn due to high activity level. but I do enjoy too much wine on the weekends
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining successfully since December 2011, so about 2.5 years at this point. I've been trying to slowly add lean mass since then, with some good success.

It took me about 20 months to lose 245 lbs. I'm not as strict with my calorie counting now, but I still count and log most days. Especially when I'm trying to cut weight after a bulk. My gym/exercise has routine is about the same time wise as while I was losing weight, but more focused on adding lean mass than losing fat.

The most challenging part for me was finding the motivation to finally make the life style changes that I needed to make. Being there, and healthy, and setting a good example for my kids provided that motivation. It took me 38 years to figure out, but I finally did.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    BigMech - AMAZING loss and wonderful transformation!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: To all those who have been loosing and maintaining their weight!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Almost a year. I hit my goal weight last June. I've stayed at my GW since then, with minimal fluctuation.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    In addition to the posted question I would also like to know...

How much did you lose?
    How long did it take to reach your desired goal?
    What do you find most challenging?
    Do you still faithfully calorie count?

Maintaining for 3.5 years. Lost 14 lbs total (9 lbs after joining MFP). I lost very sloooowly, probably 10-12 months, can't remember exactly. I still log and workout faithfully and what I find most challenging is body re-composition and losing more body fat

I still eat at a small deficit and workout 5 times a week (strength training and some light cardio), but age and some physical limitations are not helping. I am not giving up!

Edited to add: I don't find eating healthy or exercising a chore or a challenge, but sometimes logging all the time gets to me.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    In addition to the posted question I would also like to know...

How much did you lose?
    How long did it take to reach your desired goal?
    What do you find most challenging?
    Do you still faithfully calorie count?

I've been maintaining my loss for almost 5 years.
    I lost 60+ lbs. Still not exactly where I want to be, but "okay" with where I'm at now.
    It took about 10 months to lose the weight. I've still fluctuated over the years. But nothing significant.
    The most challenging thing right now is keeping momentum to choose to push and lose the last of the weight.
    I do not log every little morsel anymore. I've gotten really good at keeping a tally in my head, since I eat a lot of the same foods.
    My issue is being consistent.
  • benniesmother
    benniesmother Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have kept off my weight for two and a half months :)! [not very long, but it is never coming back.]
    I lost 38 lb.
    it took 7.5 months
    most challenging - finding new foods I like. I am unfortunately picky, and I tend to eat the same foods frequently, if not daily. my menu is pretty boring! however I was the same way when I ate unhealthy foods.. so I guess it isn't any different. hehe oopsie.

I still count my calories. When I decided my health & fitness "journey", I wanted to use calorie counting to help me figure out HEALTHY portion sizes, so that I won't always have to be weighing and measuring my food. At this point, I can pretty closely guess the weight/measurement of the food I eat, after having done it this long. however, I feel that I still want to count. I know eventually I will probably stop, but because I only hit my goal weight 2.5 months ago, I'm gunna keep on for now. just to be on the safe side.. hehee.