Women lifting weights, toning, slight six pack??

Options
XLMACX
XLMACX Posts: 346 Member
Hi,

I Was wondering if anyone can help me I'm female 5ft 8.5"' 11st 3lb my target is 9st 7lb. I would like to get more in to weights/lifting as I hear and see some great results but I don't know really were to start! I'm not wanting to bulk up just be really really toned and have very very slight 6 pack just so you can see my abs a little not a too much I don't like that personally.

I have got down too 9st 10lb before doing weight watchers but was not really happy with my body, I use to run around 20mile per week maybe more back then but that was all, this time round I'm doing more variety to my work outs kettlebells once a week, lots of power walking , hit class and body pump once a week as well as 1hr session at gym using variety of cardio equipment.

I'm hoping by getting to my goal weight using weights/lifting this time I may feel happier with my body.
I stick closely to my macros which is low carb high protein but I do like the odd chocolate bar wine ect my diet is very balanced I don't want to cut anything out I'm just wanting people's best tips to get more muscular and toned?? As I say I do bodypump once a week but what over weights should I be using I do have a gym membership but feel intimidated going in the side were all the men are on the weights lol but I will give it a try if I know what to do in there!

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• XLMACX
    Options
    Also will this make the scales go up for a short while? I find that very discouraging so if that's the case would it maybe be better for me to lose a little more weight get closer to target then start lifting?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Firstly, you will not bulk up. It is seriously hard for women to gain muscle enough to look bulky, that look takes a hell of alot of dedication and alot of time...and food!

Find yourself a beginners weight lifting program online, body building.com is a good place to have a look.

Yes you will retain water especially when you first begin, but it's not 'weight' as such, if you see what I mean.

Good luck, I hope you will enjoy it!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You won't "bulk up" without using steroids or having extremely rare genes...

Google Stronglifts 5x5 - its easy and does wonders...

Kettlebells (heavy ones, not puny little 5 and 8 pounds) will serve you well - just do a proper workout, not just swings...Angie Miller and Sarah Lurie have good dvd's...

You will gain a bit of water weight with any new workout routine - if that puts you off working out, I have no idea what to tell you ....it does not make any sense to NOT work out and do things that will take inches off you for fear of a mechanical instrument telling you you weigh a bit heavier (temporarily....):sad:

If you have no insulin issues, set your macros to 40% protein, 30 carbs and 30 fat - that's nice and balanced......
  • XLMACX
    Options
    Thank you, I will check those websites now. And I know it's stupid that I let the scales get me down if it's going to lose inches it's just the way my brain is programmed after many years of weight watchers! I think I would stay off the scales for 2 weeks maybe until my body gets use to it, as for macros I'm 35g carb, 40g protein 25g fat this seems to be working fine for now but I may change this further in my journey.

Thanks again
  • DynamicDiva
    DynamicDiva Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Please join the group Eat More to Weigh Less if you haven't already. They have great information and great videos answering all of your weight lifting questions. You can find them on MFP, Facebook, YouTube and their website http://eatmore2weighless.com/
  • XLMACX
    Options
    Thank you I will do that Now also lol.x
  • DynamicDiva
    DynamicDiva Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/water-weight-gain/

^^^^ Water Weight Gain from Strength Training ^^^^
  • XLMACX
    Options
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I will check those websites now. And I know it's stupid that I let the scales get me down if it's going to lose inches it's just the way my brain is programmed after many years of weight watchers! I think I would stay off the scales for 2 weeks maybe until my body gets use to it, as for macros I'm 35g carb, 40g protein 25g fat this seems to be working fine for now but I may change this further in my journey.

Thanks again

You don't need that much protein and it can be hard to reach protein %. My macros are 40% carbs 30% fat 30% protein.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a good place to start:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Or this is really good, especially if you don't want to do squats every day:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/373801-two-day-full-body-strength-training-routine

Lifting heavy will give you the body you want. Trust me. You won't "bulk" up. The best way to get "really really toned, with a slight 6-pack" is to lift heavy.