Help me with ideas to diet on vacation.

Options
Denisebar
Denisebar Posts: 36 Member
I am a Canadian lady of advanced age who has lost about 21 lbs so far this year. I find this site a great help,but next week I leave for a two week vacation to Florida where I am used to fried shrimp.grouper and scallops daily.
How can I stay on track ,I have about another 20 lbs to lose.
I quit smoking 3 yrs ago and ate away my cravings!
Help!

Replies

• Holly_belle
    Holly_belle Posts: 4,042 Member
    Options
    I am a Canadian lady of advanced age who has lost about 21 lbs so far this year. I find this site a great help,but next week I leave for a two week vacation to Florida where I am used to fried shrimp.grouper and scallops daily.
    Help!

First off, have fun. I'm on vacation next week too. Me and the boyfriend are planning on eating healthy for breakfast and lunch and eating a sensible dinner. Not to say that we arent going to splurge and have some good ole greasy diner food when in NJ. But I would say, enjoy yourself. Don't be so worried about counting calories that you have a miserable time. Its only 2 weeks. If you gain a few pounds, not the end of the world. Get back at it once you get home.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I just came back from vacation this weekend. I ate at maintenance while I was gone (around 2700 cals/day for me). That gave me lots of wiggle room to fit in lots of snacks. I did go over maintenance one day while we were there. Apparently it worked, because as of this morning, 5 days after coming back, I'm already 0.6 pounds below what I weighed when I left for vacation! And I had a not-so-great weekend on top of it because of Mother's Day. Can't beat that!

ETA: Oh, I also exercised! I went for a jog several mornings while we were there, and we walked a lot naturally...along the beach, shopping, sight-seeing, etc.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Help!

Havent read it but im sure its a good book,

http://flexibledietingbook.com/

OR alternatively research on here what IIFYM/flexible dieting is all about, learn it, practice it and keep grinding, goodluck... im on 2 weeks holidays as well starting today and today I start eating pizzas, burgers, chocoalate pudding without any guilt, check my diary for ideas ;)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    I mainly try to keep exercising on vacation. Will try to book a hotel with a gym, where I can do some cardio while the other half sleeps in. Failing that, will buy day passes at a local gym. if there is no gym nearby, will try to do a lot walking.

I do log on vacation, but usually up my calories to maintenance.

When dealing with temptations like hotel breakfast buffets, just ask yourself occasionally "Am I really enjoying this?". If the answer is yes, continue. But avoid mindlessly eating mediocre food, just because it is plentiful.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I went to Jamaica for a week and my concept was that the drinks I was going to consumer would throw me way over my calories alone! While I was there I had Dirty Bananas, Miami Vice, Gin and cran etc.

I did not gain a pound while I was away because I had a lot of salads/veggies with my meals, only had dessert twice that week and worked out 3x during that week + swimming...

Don't go crazy eating fatty fish because you can- or binge on sugary desserts because they are in front of you - make wise choices just as you would if you weren't on vaca but enjoy !

Everything in moderation :)
  • Denisebar
    Denisebar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow,you guys are great! Thank so much for the great ideas.:heart:
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The great thing is that you like fish. All of the ones you mentioned can be baked or broiled and you may even like them better that way. Most restaurants will accommodate your requests as those of us of a certain age :wink: flock to Florida.
    If you want to splurge a little, you could take a long walk along the beach to compensate.